801 T.T.S. Airbats (or, alternatively, Aozora Shoujotai, "The Blue Sky Girls Squad") is a 1991-1992 manga (later adapted into an OVA between 1994-1996) about an all-female except for their mechanic air demonstration squad of the Japanese Air Self-Defence Force.Needs Wiki Magic Love.
Tropes in 801 T.T.S. Airbats include:
- Aborted Arc: The OVA ends without giving a resolution to the main Love Triangle.
- There's also how the flashback in episode 7 doesn't explain where's Tokaji in the present, and doesn't do much with the revelation to Saginomiya that Konishi was going to propose to her instead Tokaji, since the OVA just kind of ends there.
- Big Eater: Yoko.
- Fiery Redhead: Episode 5's Jeger, pilot of the american Thunderbirds, who serves as a rival for Mitaka.
- Hot Springs Episode: Episode 4.
- Large Ham: Captain Konishi, who is voiced by none other than Norio Wakamoto
- Love Triangle: Takuya, Arisa and Miyuki.
- Also Konishi, Saginomiya and Tokaji in the flashback episode.
- Military Maverick: Arisa Mitaka, hot-headed, unfriendly and hard to deal with. It's the reason she was transfered to the 801st.
- Na´ve Newcomer: Takuya Isurugi, the POV main character, has just been transfered to the squad when the series starts.
- Otaku: Takuya, if his personal quarters full of figures is any indication.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits
- Reassigned to Antarctica: Much like the SV2 in Patlabor, the 801st is a dumping ground for whatever misfit is causing too much trouble in the regular forces, and nobody takes them seriously, not even themselves.
- Serious Business: A ramen eating contest between the main characters in episode 6, which ended up being bet on by the entire JSDF, American military forces, and even the russians.2 JASDF F-15 are sent to intercept a Tu-95 Bear breaching into their airspace, but the pilots are clearly focused on the betF-15 Pilot (after hearing news that Konishi lost): "Stupid Konishi! I spent my entire paycheck on this bet!"Bear Pilot: "I understand, comrade. I also bet on Konishi. Damn."F-15 Pilot: "Wait, what?"
- Side Bet: Saginomiya will try to convince people to place bets on practically anything, including whether the squadron will pass a flight test. She also tries to collect on bets the other party never accepted (or did so off-screen).
- Team Pet: Yoko's pet bat, Chi-chan, serves as the mascot for the Airbats.
- The Gambling Addict: Saginomiya, big time.
- Whole Episode Flashback: The last one.