"I read someplace that the surest way to meet the mother is to be kind to the child."When you find out the hottie you just met has adorable kids, it becomes up to you to bond with the offspring of your beloved. Most likely, you will win over the heart of the single parent in question by demonstrating your super winning (step-)parenting skills. This may be a step in your plan for Romancing the Widow. You may also become a Parental Substitute for kids whose busy single parent doesn't always have time for them; it's not always about getting in the parent's pants, it may also be a sincere bond with the rugrat in question.
— Fred Gailey, Miracle on 34th Street
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- A side story for K has this sort of situation with Misaki and his stepfather, when Misaki was about 6 years old.
- Jerry Maguire: Jerry instantly bonds with single Dorothy's young son.
- The Holiday: When Amanda discovers that rakish Graham has two adorable ankle biters, she has to prove that she can win the kids' affection along with his. This film provides the page image above.
- Enchanted: Giselle, once stranded in New York, gets along surprisingly well with the hot single dad's daughter. They have a very heartwarming shopping trip together.
- Miracle on 34th Street: Fred spends time with young Susan as a way to getting to the heart of his single mom neighbor Doris.
- Supernatural: When Dean tries to hook up with old flame Lisa, he discovers that she now has a son, Ben. By demonstrating how good he is with Ben (not to mention saving the kid from some demon), he wins Lisa over.