open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In the 3rd Fushigi Yuugi OVA, the baby is conceived on Taka and Miaka's wedding night, making the baby extra special. It's actually a Living Macguffin needed to summon Suzaku and save the Universe of the Four Gods.
- In CLANNAD ~After Story~, Nagisa is pregnant a few months after marrying Tomoya. It does not end well, or at least not before the Reset Button Ending.
- In the For Better or for Worse fanfic The New Retcons, Elizabeth comes back from her honeymoon with Anthony pregnant. Unfortunately for all, it's not Anthony's baby. He drove her out of the wedding suite when he found out she wasn't a virgin, and she ran straight into Warren Blackwood's arms, leading to her son's conception.
- In Twilight, Bella and Edward conceive a fast-growing Fetus Terrible on their wedding night. Made either more or less astounding since it was the first time either of them had had sex at all, and they were under the impression that they couldn't have kids in the first place, what with Edward being technically undead and all.
- In Harry Potter, Lupin and Tonks elope soon after getting together, and she's revealed to be pregnant within a month or two. Whether it was this trope or a Shotgun Wedding is not entirely clear, though it was probably unintentional either way.
- In A Song of Ice and Fire, it's pretty obvious that Robb Stark was conceived on his parents' wedding night, since his father left for war the very next day.
- In Slaughterhouse-Five, Billy and Valencia's post-sex conversation on their wedding night is interspersed with narration telling us that their son is currently being conceived.
- In Rainbow Six, Patsy spends most of the book pregnant, having gotten married to Ding shortly before the story began and conceiving during the honeymoon. Their son is born at the end of act two.
Live Action TV
- Torchwood: Gwen and Rhys even talks about having children a few episodes before Gwen finds out she's pregnant, but the reason for it is apparently still that working for Torchwood puts your body through so many strange things that "the bloody pill doesn't stand a chance."
- Doctor Who 's River Song is conceived on her parents' wedding night - it is somewhat of a shock to the Doctor when he realizes that. Though the shock is to who her parents are: Rory and Amy.
- On Roseanne, Darlene proposes to her boyfriend David and only tells him that she's pregnant once he says yes.
- The last ever scene of The Mentalist takes place at Jane and Lisbon's wedding; the two sneak off to hang out by the lake while their friends enjoy the party, and Lisbon tells Jane she's pregnant - to his joy as well as her own - just before the credits roll. Despite a few very subtle hints in the preceding episodes that Lisbon is a little more emotional (read, in hindsight: hormonal) than usual, (and even this gets buried under her understandable reactions to Vega's death, Jane's disappearance after the funeral, and his sudden proposal upon his return), you'd be forgiven for feeling like it came out of nowhere. To be fair it does round off the series in a way, since it demonstrates that Jane's story has come full circle (the series started with him losing his first wife and child, and ends with him gaining a second wife and child), but the lack of build-up is slightly odd.
- Sherlock plays with this, as Mary got pregnant slightly before her wedding, but the two were engaged long before then and as such the baby had nothing to do with their decision to get married. In fact, her husband only finds out on their wedding day, shortly after the wedding, in a rather heartwarming scene.
- In Arthur, King of Time and Space, Modern-arc Guinevere finds out that she's pregnant right before Arthur proposes. Poor Fairytale-arc Guinevere is stuck with the Law of Inverse Fertility instead.
- In Shortpacked!, Amber realizes that she's pregnant right after Mike proposed. It turns out that it wasn't his...eccentric means of asking that made Amber throw up.
- Mac and Sam in Greystone Inn. Their honeymoon was to Disney Land, and apparently it's impossible to get hold of birth control there.