The sai was originally an agricultural tool, but then became an Improvised Weapon often associated with Ninja. In real life, sai are very rarely actually bladed weapons, and are primarily used in defense in order to disarm and/or break blades. In fiction, however, the middle prong (or all three) is usually sharpened into a makeshift dagger. (Sometimes Truth in Television, but not normal practice.) Unusually, Dual Wielding a pair of sai is Truth in Television. The Other Wiki has more details on the historical use of the sai here. This is not about some sort of Rhino Man, or characters whose name is "Sai". Although to be fair, he did wield some.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- Bleach: Sun-Sun's zanpakutou.
- In Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple, one of Freya's Valkyries uses them.
- Kayura in Ronin Warriors wields a pair with extendable middle blades.
- Elektra's Weapon of Choice in the Daredevil comics.
- Deadpool sometimes uses these.
- One of the preferred weapons of Zaran the Weapons Master in the Marvel Universe.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Raphael's Weapon of Choice.
- In fact, the most recent animated incarnation of Raphael is the first to use it as intended, as a grappling/disarming weapon, rather then as a stabbing dagger.
- The Mummy Returns: A Flashback has a duel between two women Dual Wielding these, which doesn't make sense as sais originated from Asia, not Egypt. And more specifically, sai were a rice-agricultural implement, and the Nile has always been primarily wheat territory.
- The Matrix Reloaded: Neo used his powers to pull two sais off the wall and fight with them during his battle with the Merovingian's minions. He ends up using them to pin one of his assailants to the wall.
- Xena: Warrior Princess's sidekick Gabrielle makes a point of fighting principally with a pair of Sai, starting in Season 5 and lasting until the end of the show. The exclusivity of the weapon to Gabrielle made them all the more cool.
- Deadliest Warrior: the Yakuza used Sais as a weapon.
- Mele / Camille.
- Used by Vetkin in Battle Realms.
- Mileena from the Mortal Kombat series fights using a pair of sai.
- Guild Wars has sais as a type of dagger.
- AdventureQuest Worlds also uses them as daggers, the one kind of weapon that can be dual-wielded. They're quite popular with Ninjas.
- Wang Yi from Dynasty Warriors 7: XL.
- Monsoon from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.
- Mitzi of The Adventures of Dr. McNinja favors sais.
- Moé the ninja girl from The Inexplicable Adventures of Bob! Her three brothers use a sword, nunchucks, and bo staff respectively.
- A Sai Gal is Cheshire from Young Justice.