Relationship Voi Ce Actor
A form of Type Casting
, linked with Pigeonholed Voice Actor
. More notable in Japanese (because of the larger pool of voice actors available), two or more voice actors are often put together in one anime series, sometimes as characters with a special relationship. Just like Pigeonholed Voice Actor, although they're not typecast into one type of character, but if one voice actor shows up, there's a good chance that a certain voice actor will show up too, sometimes as characters with a unique relationship with the first voice actor's characters. And their role relationship will also occasionally be pigeonholed. Many Japanese examples can be explained by the fact that their voice actors are generally managed by talent agencies and it is convenient for production to cast all parts from the same agency. Take note that the examples below may or may not list all
the shows in which two actors have worked in together.
Also see Those Two Actors
for the live action version.
open/close all folders
Other Language Examples
- In Mexican dubs, Gerardo Reyero and Monica Manjarrez sometimes play characters romantically involved with each other, such as Han Solo and Leia Organa in Star Wars and Stu and Didi Pickles in Rugrats. Interestingly, the Manjarrez voiced-Rei Hino also had a short crush on the Reyero-voiced Mamoru Chiba in Sailor Moon.
- Also, Enzo Fortuny has not one, but two pigeonholed relationships: one with Cristina Hernández (Cardcaptor Sakura) and a more recent one with Leyla Rangel (InuYasha, Kim Possible).
- Philippe Peythieu and Véronique Augereau, the french voices of Homer and Marge Simpson, are married.
- While not an item in real life, french voice actors Georges Aminel and Arlette Thomas were frequently heard together: Planet of the Apes, The Omen, Tarzoon Shame Of The Jungle and most notably Sylvester the Cat and Tweety Bird.
- In Spain we have several fiction-couples examples:
- David Robles and Mar Bordallo.
- Salvador Vidal and Maria Luisa Solá.
- Maria Luisa Solá has crossed paths with Manolo Garcia quite often too.
- Daniel Garcia and Graciela Molina.
- Nuria Mediavilla and... well... pretty much every single important Spaniard male voice actor of the last 15 years established in Barcelona (and some in Madrid).
Two or more characters with the same Japanese and English actor set
- Maaya Sakamoto shared two of her characters with Kari Wahlgren: one being the titular heroine of the Jeanne d'Arc PSP game, the other being Rip Van Winkle in Hellsing Ultimate.
- Both Kamui in X1999 and Shiki Tohno in Tsukihime were voiced in Japanese by Kenichi Suzumura and in English by Steve Staley.
- Johnny Yong Bosch and Jun Fukuyama both share a whopping five roles: Albert de Morcerf, Lelouch Lamperouge, Juto, Haruto Sakaki and recently, Yukio Okumura.
- Joji Nakata and Jamieson Price shared six characters with each other: Kusanagi Shiyuu, Algol in Soul Calibur 4, Kirei Kotomine, Diethart Reid, Count Edmund Dantes of Monte Cristo and recently Gyuki of Nura Rise Of The Yokai Clan.
- Nero Chaos in Tsukihime was a semi-example of this. In the anime, his dub counterpart was voiced by Jamieson Price, but in the Japanese version, he was voiced by Kenta Miyake. It was in Melty Blood where he was voiced by Joji Nakata.
- Fun fact, Kenta Miyake and Joji Nakata each shared one of their characters with Crispin Freeman as well: For Kenta, Tsume from Wolf's Rain, and with Joji, Alucard from Hellsing.
- Joji also shared three of his characters with Michael McConnohie: Van in Tales of the Abyss, Margulis in Xenosaga, and Motohara Kimata from Texnolyze.
- And he shared two of his characters with Christopher Sabat: Giroro in SeargentFrog and Roy Revant on Solty Rei
- And now, there are two characters voice by Joji Nakata and Crispin Freeman: Alucard in Hellsing and Hellsing Ultimate, and the Fate Zero version of Kirei Kotomine.
- There are three characters shared between Koichi Yamadera and Crispin Freeman. Kagetsu in Shamanic Princess, Togusa in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, and Albedo in Xenosaga.
- Mamoru Miyano and Brad Swaile have both voiced Light Yagami in Death Note, Setsuna F. Seiei in Mobile Suit Gundam 00, and Kuro in Kurozuka.
- Kana Ueda and Mela Lee both voiced Rin Tohsaka and Rachel Alucard.
- Akira Ishida and Liam O'Brien both voiced Gaara and Vayne Aurelius.
- Rie Kugimiya and Laura Bailey both voiced Rise Kujikawa and Marta Lualdi.
- Eri Kitamura and Sarah Williams both voiced Sayaka Miki and Uni.
- Kappei Yamaguchi and Richard Ian Cox both voiced InuYasha and Ranma Saotome.
- Kikuko Inoue and Bridget Hoffman both voiced Chitose Hibiya, Rune Venus, Belldandy (movie), Kazami Mizuho.
- Kikuko Inoue and Willow Johnson both voiced Kasumi Tendo and Lily McGuire.
- Kosuke Toriumi and Troy Baker both voiced Yuri Lowell and Eikichi Mishina.
- Hikaru Midorikawa and Liam O'Brien both voiced Akihiko Sanada and Baldren Gassenarl.
- Tetsuya Kakihara and Michael Sinterniklaas both voiced Angelo Sauper and Leonardo.
- Two of Akio Ohtsuka's characters, Ansem and Batou, had their English dub counterparts voiced by Richard Epcar.
- Junko Minagawa and Erin Fitzgerald both voiced Sagitta and Erica.
- Nana Mizuki and Luci Christian were both Wrath and Alois Trancy. And they were Playing Against Type with both of them.
- Kenshin from Sengoku Basara and Ganta Igarashi from Deadman Wonderland were both voiced in Japanese by Romi Park and in English by Greg Ayres
- Ayako Kawasumi and Michelle Ruff shared four roles: Ellie of Rave Master, Chikane Himemiya of Kannazuki no Miko, Winia in Scrapped Princess, and Saber in Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works (due to the unavailability of Kate Higgins by that time).
- Three characters were shared between Sayaka Ohara and Colleen Clinkenbeard: Yuko Ichihara, Kaori Sanada, and Erza Scarlet.
- Two of Noriaki Sugiyama's characters, Sasuke and Crocell, had their English dub counterparts voiced by Yuri Lowenthal.
- Four characters voiced by Kappei Yamaguchi and Dave Wittenberg and that is Jean Gadot from Geneshaft, Enki from The Twelve Kingdoms, Igton from Magna Carta 2, and Teddie of Persona 4.
- Michelle Ruff and Fumiko Orikasa voiced three characters so far: Rukia from Bleach, Yayoi from Stellvia of the Universe, and Celia from Scrapped Princess.
- Megumi Hayashibara shared two characters with English counterpart, Amanda Winn Lee: Momiji Fujimiya and Rei Ayanami.
- Toshihiko Seki and Quinton Flynn both voiced Iruka and Croix.
- Lisa Ortiz shared two characters with French voice actor Shandra Schadt: Lina Inverse, and Amy Rose
- Akemi Kanda and her English counterpart, Carrie Savage, voiced Nina and Riko.
- Maetel from Cosmo Warrior Zero, Tina Foster from Ai Yori Aoshi, and Yoruichi Shihoin from Bleach were voiced in Japanese by Satsuki Yukino and in English by Wendee Lee.
- Kenn and Yuri Lowenthal both voiced Lok Lambert and Patroklos.
- Tomoko Kawakami and Karen Strassman voiced two characters and that is Soi-Fon and Elise in Japanese and English, respectively.
- Mamiko Noto and Angie Beers both voiced Kalluto Zolydyck and Rinko Jerrard.
- Thrice now that Rie Tanaka and Michelle Ruff have voiced the same characters. Mitsuki Sanada from Dual Parallel Trouble Adventure, Chi from Chobits, and Ran from Angel Tales.
- Nana Mizuki and Stephanie Sheh both voiced Hinata Hyuga from Naruto and Mave from Rescue Me Mavechan!.
- Two of Kazuhiko Inoue's characters, Kakashi and Keiichi, are voiced in English dub by Dave Wittenberg.
- Eri Kitamura and Carrie Savage both voiced Rimi Sakihata and Rimi Toya.
- Three roles shared by Soichiro Hoshi in Japanese and Johnny Yong Bosch in English. They are Michael Garret from GUN×SWORD and Kyuutarou Hoshino from Planetes.
- Ayako Kawasumi and Caitlin Glass both voiced three characters: Kaori Misaka, Sara Werec, and Ran.
- Takahiro Sakurai and Yuri Lowenthal both voiced Suzaku Kururugi, Yuri Shibuya, and Haseo.
- Kira Vincent-Davis shares two characters that her Japanese counterpart, Yumi Kakazu, and that is Misaki and Sadayo, respectively.
- Hiromi Tsuru and Kelly Sheridan both voiced Ukyo and Undine.
- Tomokazu Seki and Brad Swaile both voiced Ryuki Shi and Rumina Asagi.
- Kikuko Inoue and Laura Bailey both voiced Alv from Kiddy Grade and Lust from Fullmetal Alchemist.
- Kotono Mitsuishi and Michelle Ruff both voiced Urumi and Katherine.
- Takehito Koyasu and Keith Silverstein both voiced Tatsuya and Ryuga.
- Tara Platt shares three roles with Yuko Kaida: one is Marida Cruz from Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, two is Vikki from Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror, and Agnes Joubert from Tiger & Bunny.
- Kenichi Suzumura and Tony Oliver both voiced Hajiki Sanada and Ranmaru Shindo.
- Yui Horie and Stephanie Sheh both voiced Ayu Tateishi and Megumi Higashihara.
- Yuriko Yamaguchi and Veronica Taylor both voiced Nico Robin and Mira.
- Kazuhiko Inoue has three characters that will be voiced by Troy Baker and that is November 11 from Darker than Black, Wataru Yuuki from The Galaxy Railways, and Kazkis Hauer from Ergo Proxy.
- Yuki Matsuoka and Kari Wahlgren both have voiced Arisa Glennorth from Stellvia of the Universe, Tsuruya from Haruhi Suzumiya, and Churuya from Haruhi-chan.
- Wendee Lee and Yumi Touma both voiced Urd and Yui Hongo.
- Rie Kugimiya and Tabitha St. Germain both voiced Ruri from Dokkoida?! and Shana from Shakugan no Shana.
- Showtaro Morikubo and Liam O'Brien both voiced Horu from Melody of Oblivion and Ingway from Odin Sphere.
- Katsuyuki Konishi and Keith Silverstein have both voiced Kanemaru from Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, Setsuna from Naruto Shippuden: The Movie, and Tom Tanaka from Durarara!!.
- Katsuyuki Konishi and Crispin Freeman both voiced Haji, Sakaki, and Reishin.
- Hideyuki Tanaka and Steve Blum both voiced Agito Makishima and King Mayan Baceska.
- Nanae Katou and Luci Christian voiced two characters and that is Ahiru and Mur.
- Susumu Chiba and Yuri Lowenthal voiced Hiroki Tsujiai and Bakunetsumaru.
- Julian from Armitage III, Wolfram from Kyo Kara Maoh, and Jim from Viewtiful Joe are voiced by Mitsuki Saiga in Japanese and Mona Marshall in English.
- Marina Inoue and Michelle Ruff both voiced Cosette from Le Portrait de Petite Cossette and Yoko from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
- Kouji Tsujitani and Kirby Morrow share two characters: Defiant A from Melty Lancer and Miroku from InuYasha.
- Jin Yamanoi and Travis Willingham both voiced Tokimori Hazama and Ramon Zero.
- Kisho Taniyama and Yuri Lowenthal both voiced Sensei and Toby.
- Mamiko Noto and Karen Strassman share two characters; one is Sakura Saku and two is Nina Fortner.
- Ryoka Yuzuki and Colleen O Shaughnessey have Ino Yamanaka and Kazumi Akiyama.
- Akiko Yajima and Kari Wahlgren have voiced Diva, Ranmaru, and Tsubasa Shiina.
- Jurota Kosugi and Paul St Peter both voiced two characters: Fernand and Dokugakuji.
- Hitomi Nabatame and Kate Higgins share two characters and that is Homura from Karas and Rhyme from The World Ends with You.
- Kenta Miyake and Keith Silverstein both voiced Gagin and Kazuo Aida.
- Daisuke Namikawa and Johnny Yong Bosch have voiced Maiku Kamishiro and Yu Narukami.
- Keith Silverstein and Toshihiko Seki share two characters: Aaroniero and Albus.
- Yuko Kaida and Karen Strassman both voiced Teacher from I My Me! Strawberry Eggs and Rosa from Final Fantasy IV.
- Kohei Kiyasu and Steve Staley have both voiced Ippo Makunouchi and Soushi Minashiro.
- Kaori Nazuka and Stephanie Sheh have both voiced Eureka and Monique.
- Yuji Ueda and Brad Swaile share two characters: Chris Hawken and Takeshi Tomoe.
- Koki Uchiyama and Micah Solusod were both Midnight in Fairy Tail, and Soul Eater Evans.
- Two of Hiroyuki Yoshino's characters, Jonathan and Allelujah, are voiced in English dub by Richard Ian Cox.
- Both Rei Ayanami of Rebuild of Evangelion and Ai Haibara of Detective Conan were voiced in Japanese by Megumi Hayashibara and in English by Brina Palencia.
- Sanae Kobayashi shared two characters with Colleen Clinkenbeard: Reika and Venus.
- Daisuke Namikawa and Yuri Lowenthal both voiced Cornelius and Riddhe Marcenas.
- Hiroe Oka and Cindy Robinson as Kougyoku and Pepper Potts.
- Mika Kanai and Stephanie Sheh have both voiced Kaguya Sumeragi and Arche Klein.
- Five characters shared by Norio Wakamoto and Michael McConnohie. They are Golden Bat from Kikaider, Charles zi Britannia from Code Geass, Yasaburo Manajiri from Puppet Princess, Nagamimi from Requiem from the Darkness, and Ilita from Captain Harlock.
- Tomokazu Seki and Dave Wittenberg: Kikaider and Tokiya Inoue.
- Yukari Tamura and Stephanie Sheh shared five characters with each other: Aikawa, Excel from Kurokami, Coco, Haruhi Nishizono, and recently Armor of Marvel Anime.
- Masumi Asano and Colleen Clinkenbeard as Rose Anderson of Solty Rei and Francisca of The Sacred Blacksmith.
- Atsuko Tanaka and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn both voiced Major Motoko Kusanagi of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Jagara of Wolf's Rain, and Cassandra of Reign The Conqueror.
- Kae Araki and Bridget Hoffman both voiced Miaka Yuki and Patamon.
- Yuji Ueda and Dave Wittenberg both voiced Lee Sampson and Amodar.
- Mamiko Noto and Brina Palencia shared two characters: Ai Enma of Hell Girl and Elsa of Gunslinger Girl.
- Soichiro Hoshi and Dave Wittenberg both voiced Gino Weinberg, Kei Kusanagi, and Kaoru Hanabishi.
- Three roles shared by Sayaka Ohara and Julie Ann Taylor: Milly Ashford from Code Geass, Akane Sano from Kurokami, and Mari from Tiger & Bunny.
- Hikaru Midorikawa and Crispin Freeman have voiced two characters together. Zelgadis Graywords and Heat are those examples.
- Wakana Yamazaki and Wendee Lee both voiced Toria and Ayane.
- Akira Ishida shared six characters with Yuri Lowenthal: Roger from Jeanne d'Arc, Noriyuki Takahashi from Nodame Cantabile, Goro Kusaka from Submarine 707 R, Protagonist/Minato Arisato AND Ryoji Mochizuki in Persona 3, and Amane Nishiki from BlazBlue: Chronophantasma.
- Hiroyuki Yoshino and Ben Diskin have both voiced Kai in Blood+ and Izo in Rinne no Lagrange.
- Megumi Hayashibara and Michelle Ruff both voiced Aroich in Drakengard and Tsukinojo Inbe in Fight!! Spirit Of The Sword.
- Yumi Touma and Carrie Savage shared two characters: Nephilim in Xenosaga and Ling Xiaoyu in Street Fighter X Tekken.
- Both Xing Huo of Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle and Gemini Sunrise of Sakura Wars are voiced by Sanae Kobayashi in Japanese and Laura Bailey in English.
- Kappei Yamaguchi and Jerry Jewell both voiced Jimmy Kudo and Jin.
- Megumi Toyoguchi and Julie Ann Taylor both voiced Ayaka Machida from Stellvia of the Universe, Shoko Mataki from Le Portrait de Petite Cossette, and Rio Kinezono from Burn Up Scramble.
- Yukari Tamura and Monica Rial share three characters: Yayoi, Tail, and Shinrabanshou.
- What do these 2 14-year old boys, Alphonse Elric and Izuna Endo, have in common? They are both voiced by Rie Kugimiya and Aaron Dismuke.
- What do Mint Adnade, Itsuko Katsu and Kazuko Saotome all have in common? They are both voiced by Junko Iwao and Karen Strassman.
- Thrice with Michiko Neya and Stephanie Sheh as they both voiced Natalia Luzu Kimlasca-Lanvaldear from Tales of the Abyss, Miwako Teshigawara from Honey and Clover, and Kriem from Tiger & Bunny.
- Thrice with Hiro Yuki and Steve Staley voicing Arc from Arc The Lad, Masuo Fuguno from Yume De Aetara, and Mahoro Mikage from Samurai: Hunt for the Sword.
- Yukana and Kate Higgins have done the voice of both C.C and Imperator Librarius.
- Both Nobuyuki Hiyama and Andrew Francis have played Airs Blue and Muruta Azrael.
- Ayako Kawasumi and Kate Higgins have shared four roles together: Saber in Fate/stay night, Megumi Noda in Nodame Cantabile, Rue in Magna Carta 2 and Yulie in Wild ARMs 4.
- Agni from Black Butler and Germany from Hetalia were both voiced in Japanese by Hiroki Yatsumoto and in English by Patrick Seitz.
- Megumi Toyoguchi and Michelle Ruff both voiced Yukari Takeba and Mihiro Oiwakken.
- Aya Hirano and Wendee Lee both play the titular character of the Haruhi Suzumiya series and Konata Izumi of Lucky Star, mostly due to the sheer amount of Actor Allusion in the latter.
- Masako Nozawa and Sean Schemmel both play Son Goku from Dragon Ball and Masamune/Morrison from Pokémon: Advanced Generation.
- Kenichi Suzumura and Crispin Freeman both voiced Kousei Shimazaki and Koichi Kimura.
- Megumi Hayashibara and Wendee Lee shared four characters. They were Faye Valentine in Cowboy Bebop, Rie Fujinami from Black Jack, Chris Mackenzie from Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket, and Rihoko in Ninku.
- Miki from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Rani Chawla from Resident Evil: Degeneration, and Rangiku Fumiwatari from Puppet Princess were voiced by Akiko Yajima in Japanese and Michelle Ruff in English.
- Risa Mizuno and Stephanie Sheh both voiced Nanako Meino and Sayori Wakaba.
- Yuuichi Nakamura and Keith Silverstein share two characters in Tesla from Bleach and Villagiulio from Rinne no Lagrange.
- Megumi Toyoguchi and Amanda Winn Lee both voiced Mimiru and Gido.
- Akeno Watanabe and Tara Platt share three characters and that is Benten, Higasa, and of course, Nina Williams.
- Yuri Lowenthal share two characters with Italian voice actor, Patrizio Prata: Ginta Suou and Ogron.
- Tou Ryuga from Mahoromatic and Yuichi Kayama from Sakura Wars: So Long My Love are voiced by Takehito Koyasu in Japanese and Keith Silverstein in English.
- Nozomu Sasaki and Johnny Yong Bosch both voiced Eriol Hiiragizawa and Kazuya Hasukawa.
- Soichiro Hoshi and Yuri Lowenthal share four characters. They were Alviss from MÄR, Sky Blue from Melody of Oblivion, Son Goku from Saiyuki, and of course, Ben Tennyson in Ben 10: Alien Force.
- Kenji Nojima and Brad Swaile share two characters in RD from Zoids Fuzors and Keisaku Sato in Shakugan no Shana.
- Mamiko Noto and Emily Neves share at least three roles: Kotomi, Cal-141, and Hakko.
- Recoome and Shenron from Dragon Ball Z and Alex Louis Armstrong from Fullmetal Alchemist are all played by Kenji Utsumi in Japanese and Christopher Sabat in English.
- Brittney Karbowski and Rina Hidaka share two Token Mini-Moe roles: Last Order and Yoshino Hide.
- Cristina Vee and Chiwa Saitou shared two characters, the first happens to be Homura Akemi and the second, Alicia Rue.
- Yuuki Kaji and Erik Kimerer voiced two characters and they are Haruyuki Arita and Alibaba Saluja.