The appearance of a faint white or grey fog or glow around and above objects and people during a rainstorm. This is a representation of a real-world phenomenon — a kind of mist generated by the shattering of raindrops impacting on a surface — which normally can only be seen under the right angles and light conditions, but which in anime can be seen all the time during a rainstorm. Adds an almost otherworldly air to rainy scenes, but also makes drawing rain much easier. See also Redemption in the Rain.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- Kamichama Karin, the source of the image above.
- Frequently seen in Ranma 1/2.
- The "D digging in the dump" scene from Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure.
- Click here◊ for an example from the anime One Piece.
- Seen in a Flash Back to James and Annie's funeral in Soukou no Strain.
- This is simulated using a fog machine in the Les Misérables song "On My Own", in which Eponine sings about how the rain makes the pavement look like silver.
- The episode "Haunted" from Teen Titans subtly gives away a secret early on when Robin has a Rain Aura but Slade does not...
- Go somewhere that's at once miserably hot and horridly humid. Stir in one (1) cloudburst. Observe the steam rising from the pavement. Repeat as necessary.