Pretty, and powerful.
"Oh, it's a beautiful dress! Did you ever see such a beautiful dress? And look, glass slippers."
Some characters have quirky, fancy, or otherwise unusual footwear, which the narrative makes a point of mentioning. If pimped out enough, it can even be an Impractically Fancy Outfit
(especially if there are high heels).
Can overlap with Tricked-Out Shoes
if the shoes have special functions as well as being pimped out.
of Costume Porn
A Sister Trope
to Nice Hat
, Pimped-Out Dress
, Pimped Out Cape
Compare All Women Love Shoes
Anime and Manga
- The gender flipped version of Prussia in Axis Powers Hetalia wears a really nice pair of white boots.
- Bel from Katekyo Hitman Reborn! has a pretty badass pair of white boots, with black laces.
- In the Puyo Puyo anime, this episode focuses on Rulue noticing Arle's new boots, note so Rulue demands Minotaurus to make her new boots. Minotaurus does so, and although the boots were not a great color, Rulue likes the boots and she runs off to show Arle.
- Detective Conan:
- Detective Conan has his red super sneakers. They are not only Tricked-Out Shoes that stimulate his feet with electronic pulses, they are also quite stylish. Whenever the story involves Shinichi, there is also something to be said of his navy sneakers.
- There's a case in which ganguro girls were attacked (fatally, in one occasion), and one of the hints was how all of them wore really pretty white platform boots, which were very popular back then. It turns out that the dead girl ran over and killed a little boy because she was wearing said boots while driving, so the kid's maddened father started chasing after girls who wore similar footwear to beat them up in revenge. And one of these girls was Sonoko, who had nothing to do with the case but had exactly the same boots on - it took Conan's deduction skills and a huge Big Damn Heroes from Megure to stop the madman and rescue her.
- Vision of Escaflowne : Hitomi's white sneakers with black accents. One episode even has Van use it as a clue to find her when she gets kidnapped (her shoelace broke and she dropped her shoe on the stairs as she was taken away).
- In G Gundam, Chibodee wears pretty cool red sneakers that are obviously modelled after the red Converse All-Stars.
- In Noir, Kirika's rather distinctive pink shoes have received a degree of Memetic Mutation among fans, and they're also the first clue that she was the one who killed her partner Mireille's family 10 years ago since she wore nearly identical ones back then.
Film - Animated
Film - Live Action
- Envy Adams from Scott Pilgrim has a seemingly endless supply of fancy high-heeled boots. They even come up as a plot point in a flashback when she sells her Anime paraphernalia to pay for a pair, highlighting how she and Scott are growing apart. Much is made over the fact that Kim actually wore a pair of nice heels to The Clash At Demonhead's gig. She ends up taking them off halfway through.
- The Wizard of Oz features the Ruby Slippers - which were silver in the book, but didn't show up well on film, so they had to change them.
- I, Robot: in the film version, Detective Spooner wears a "classic" pair of Converse tennis shoes (circa 2004, when the movie came out).
- Denny Colt in The Spirit favors Converse sneakers.
- I'm Gonna Git You Sucka: After getting out of prison Fly Guy returns to being a pimp. He wears elevator shoes with miniature goldfish aquariums in the heels. When one of his shoes breaks and the fish spill out on the ground, they flop around a little bit.
- Ali in Burlesque ogles a pair of incredibly sparkly heels
- Rosa Klebb, villain of the James Bond movie From Russia with Love, hides poison daggers in the toes of her sensible shoes.
- Kathleen Turner in VI Warshawski keeps a pair of red high heels in a box at a bar for ... safety?
- Murat in The Man Who Saves the World has a pair of golden boots made from melting down his golden sword. One would presume this is supposed to be important, but like everything else in this movie it makes no sense and is never explained.
- In Pacific Rim (which has something of a shoe motif) Hannibal Chau flaunts his wealth with gold-plated dress shoes. They jangle like spurs any time he moves, and they get plenty of screen time.
- The fabulous mood changing red shoes in "The Wonderful Wizard of Buzz Issue" episode of The Latest Buzz.
- Firefly: River was known to tromp around in combat boots when she wasn't running around barefoot.note
- Mister Rogers has some pretty nice sneakers.
- Law & Order: SVU:
- In one episode, the detectives get a search warrant to look for a pair of shoes that left a distinctive footprint at the crime scene. They don't find them until the suspect comes home wearing them. The last line of the episode is Detective Stabler saying: "Nice shoes".
- The episode "Tortured" involves a dead woman dressed up as a prostitute, complete with some very chic boots... and one foot missing. The long explanation involves a college student borrowing a prototype from a house of fashion, then getting mugged by a guy with a very unhealthy foot fetish. He then escalates, forcing the victim - who came to his apartment by mistake - to model for him before getting way too personal...
- Doctor Who:
- The Fifth Doctor wore a pair of modern sneakers with an otherwise Edwardian Cricketer's uniform.
- Ten's multiple Converses.
- River Song's shoes. They have a facebook page.
- The Eighth Doctor had a brief moment of excitement over his shoes.
- Three and Four both talked about their shoes shortly after regenerating. Justified as they both kept the TARDIS key in one of them.
- Ryan Stiles got a lot of jokes made about his taste in shoes in Whose Line Is It Anyway??
- In How I Met Your Mother, Ted meets a girl at a wedding reception, but they use only nicknames. When he later tries to find out who she is, they call a bridesmaid who might know her. She asks what shoes she wore - Ted remembers they were brown with sparkling snowflakes. The braid says they sound cute, but she doesn't know her. Robin however realizes she met a girl with shoes like these and knows she made a cake for the wedding. That's how Ted met Victoria.
- In The Mighty Boosh, London fashion icon and occasional Wholesome Crossdresser Vince Noir is never seen anywhere without a pair of really nice ladies' boots, often with large heels. The knee high black boots in Strange Tale of the Crack Fox had the highest heels he ever wore in the show and were absolutely MASSIVE, making you wonder how he was able to run from danger and jump out of high-up openings without falling over.
- Cinderella, with the glass slippers (although some versions make them fur-lined, which still fits this trope).
- Several characters in Discworld.
- Nanny Ogg once wears red boots as a Shout-Out to Oz.
- Granny Weatherwax is well known for her tough old and well-worn boots.
- Sam Vimes is a variation; his boots are always old and battered even when he can afford much better ones, but he's proud of the old cardboard-soled ones because he can feel the street through them and figure out where he is by the feel of the pavements.
- Adora Belle Dearheart wears Mitzy "Pretty Lucrezias", which with their four-inch spiked heels are generally agreed to be the most dangerous footwear on the Disc.
- The plot of Scott Westerfield's So Yesterday revolves around a pair of these.
- In one of the Redwall books, Logalog sings a comic ballad about a shrew whose fancy shoes get stolen by an owl.
- In the Lucky Starr series, Martian farm boys, including the hero's sidekick Bigman, are known for their garishly colored hip boots. In the first book, Bigman recognizes a disguised Lucky because no native Martian would wear such a plain pair.
- In the 1632 novel series, the sneakers some Americans wear (in 1630s Europe) receive more than a little comment from 1630s Europeans. The dress shoes worn by Michael Stearns get admiring attention from Rebecca Abranel.
- Subverted in Hans Christian Andersen's "The Red Shoes", where the titular red shoes are very nice indeed, but the little girl who wears them is cursed to dance without stopping because she is too vain to go without them, and she ends up having to have her feet chopped off so she doesn't die of exhaustion.
- Steam Powered Giraffe have a song about a particularly fancy pair.
- "My Adidas" by Run-D.M.C.:
Now, me and my Adidas do the illest things
We like to stomp out pimps with diamond rings
We slay all suckers who perpetrate
And lay down the law from State to State
We travel on gravel, dirt road or street
I wear my Adidas when I rock the beat
On stage, front page, every show I go
It's Adidas on my feet, hi-top or low
- When he was doing his Iraqi sympathizer gimmick in the WWF during the first Gulf War, Sgt Slaughter was quite proud of his curled-toe wrestling boots, supposedly a gift from Saddam Hussein himself.
- Boots with curled toes are normal for wrestlers from the Middle East. Wrestling/The Iron Sheik and Abdullah the Butcher were known for wearing them.
- Xion in Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days has some rather nice pointy-toed heels that get at least one close-up shot.
- In Final Fantasy VIII Rinoa's slingback ballroom pumps with closed, pointed toes and double ankle straps are likely custom-made due to her being from a wealthy family, and have been the bane of many a cosplayer. They get plenty of close-ups, which are justified as most of them come from the dance sequence.
- Final Fantasy XIII offers Lightning's knee-high strap-covered combat boots and Vanille's fur-trimmed, turned-up, square-toe cowboy boots. And yes, both get occasional shots of said shoes for no particular reason other than varying camera angles.
- Much was made of Sonic's Soap shoes in Sonic Adventure 2, and the Grinding ability that came with them. Sonic, however, has always had distinctive red/white shoes, since it's the only thing he wears (besides a pair of gloves).
- Shadow, meanwhile has hoverjet-equipped white and red shoes that look identical to Gundam feet. May or may not be his actual feet as by some accounts he's a cyborg in addition to being genetically engineered.
- Final Fight and Street Fighter:
- Guy is often noted for his sneakers, which he wears with his Highly-Visible Ninja uniform. This has resulted in a meme stating, "Real ninjas wear Nikes!"
- Bushin ninja and sister-in-law Maki (from Final Fight 2) also switched to sneakers for her appearances in Capcom vs. SNK 2 and Street Fighter Alpha 3.
- Along with her school uniform, Sakura Kasugano wears a snazzy pair of red Converse All-Stars when she participates in street-fighting tournaments.
- Guy's best friend and rival Cody sports what appears to be a pair of Adidas Superstar come Alpha 3. Unlike Guy's Nike Dukes (which he first showed off in SFA), it's implied these were part of his attire back in the original Final Fight.
- The Caninu and Felineko of Solatorobo wear shoes that have a bump pattern on the sole that leaves pawprint-shaped marks.
- Metal Gear Solid 3. Snake compliments the shoes of the old soviet scientist Granin by literally saying "Nice shoes". Granin cites this compliment as the reason he's giving him valuable intel. Turns out another spy wired the shoes.
- Only referenced but not shown in Dragon Age: Origins by Leliana. She's quite okay with traveling and camping in the cold and wet wilderness of Ferelden, even though she's really at home in the Deadly Decadent Courts of her homeland. But the worst thing about it is clearly the lack of nice shoes that go with a Pimped-Out Dress. Shoes are Serious Business!
Leliana: I once drank a thimble of dwarven ale. Woke up a week later in Jader wearing nothing but my shoes and a towel.
Leliana: Oh? You... like shoes, do you?
Leliana: It'll be fun, I promise! We'll get some shoes too! Ah, shoes! We could go shopping together!
Leliana: I saw you looking at that girl in town earlier. You know, the one with the... with the shoes!
Leliana: Orlais is very fashionable, almost rediculously so. ...but the shoes!!! When I left Orlais, the fasion was shoes with delicate tapered heels and embelishments in the front. A ribbon perhaps, or embroidery. In soft colors of cause, it was spring. I had my eye on a pair my shoemaker was working on. It was covered in pale blue silk with ember beads on the toes.
- Murdoc Niccals of Gorillaz is notoriously proud of his Cuban-heeled boots and almost always wears them even when wearing nearly nothing else. According to the biography, Rise of the Ogre, he was deeply annoyed by Damon Albarn upon first meeting him, because:
The first thing Damon said to Murdoc, pointing down at his boots, was "Your Cuban heels are crap. Look, mine are the proper sort." Damon was wearing a pair like Murdoc's, but with fancy gold spurs and solid silver heels.
- Disco Stu in The Simpsons has shoes with goldfish in the soles (kind of like the aforementioned Fly Guy). Unfortunately, the fish are dead, because he can't take them out or feed them.
- South Park:
- In the episode "the list", a group of girls fakes a list that says Clyde is the cutest boy in the class so they can date him and get shoes.
- Even Wendy is distracted by one particularly cute pair of shoes.
- Sid's Beatle boots in Hey Arnold!.
- Jonny Quest wore PF Flyers◊, even appearing in commercials for the shoes.
- Most of the characters in Teen Titans. Robin has steel-toed boots designed to look like Chuck Taylors, Beast Boy has Velcro sneakers with paw-print soles, and even Cyborg has some pretty cool-looking feet. Glen Murakami had this to say on the character designs:
"I just didn't want them super-buff like the Justice League characters. I wanted them to have a clumsy quality about them. And like all teenagers, they would really be into footwear. Big clod-hopper shoes. That's why I gave [Robin] the metal [steel-toe] combat boots."
- Elvis Presley and his Blue Suede Shoes, which themselves were originally Carl Perkins' Blue Suede Shoes.
- KISS wore some outlandish shoes.
- Elton John wore some gigantic shoes as The Local Lad in The Who's Tommy. He even took the part on the condition that he got to keep them afterwards. Prominently featured in his Licensed Pinball Table, Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy.
- Due to his short stature, Doctor Steel wore platform boots. On one occasion, they had lights in the soles.
- Clown shoes, always ridiculously oversized and often bright red.
- Converse Chuck Taylor All-Stars are one of the most iconic sneakers ever made (just look how many times they're referenced on this page alone!).
- Lolita fashion has Rocking Horse Shoes (originally designed by Vivienne Westwood), which can have platforms up to eight inches high! It also has a variety of chunky Mary Janes, tea-party flats, and, in the fashion icon Mana's case, hooker heels. But it's just Mana who wears those. But he can get away with it, because he's AWESOME.
- "Weird Al" Yankovic has an impressive collection◊ of Vans sneakers.
- Imelda Marcos owned thousands of shoes.
- Traditional Mongolian boots manage a layered look, being waterproof, being able to keep people warm in winters of -40F, and have highly intricate and colorful patterns◊ on them. Normal Western boots are referred to in colloquial Mongolian as plain boots, which, by comparison, is pretty much true.