"Oh, it's a beautiful dress! Did you ever see such a beautiful dress? And look, glass slippers."Some characters have quirky, fancy, or otherwise unusual footwear, which the narrative makes a point of mentioning. If pimped out enough, it can even be an Impractically Fancy Outfit (especially if there are high heels). Can overlap with Tricked-Out Shoes if the shoes have special functions as well as being pimped out. A Sub-Trope of Costume Porn. A Sister Trope to Nice Hat, Pimped-Out Dress, Pimped-Out Cape. Compare All Women Love Shoes. See also High Class Gloves.
— Disney's Cinderella
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- The gender flipped version of Prussia in Axis Powers Hetalia wears a really nice pair of white boots.
- Bel from Katekyō Hitman Reborn! has a pretty badass pair of white boots, with black laces.
- In the Puyo Puyo anime, this episode focuses on Rulue noticing Arle's new boots, note so Rulue demands Minotaurus to make her new boots. Minotaurus does so, and although the boots were not a great color, Rulue likes the boots and she runs off to show Arle.
- Detective Conan:
- Conan himself has his red super sneakers. They are not only Tricked-Out Shoes that stimulate his feet with electronic pulses, they are also quite stylish. Whenever the story involves Shinichi, there is also something to be said of his navy sneakers.
- There's a case in which ganguro girls were attacked (fatally, in one occasion), and one of the hints was how all of them wore really pretty white platform boots, which were very popular back then. It turns out that the dead girl ran over and killed a little boy because she was wearing said boots while driving, so the kid's maddened father started chasing after girls who wore similar footwear to beat them up in revenge. And one of these girls was Sonoko, who had nothing to do with the case but had exactly the same boots on - it took Conan's deduction skills and a huge Big Damn Heroes from Megure to stop the madman and rescue her.
- The Vision of Escaflowne : Hitomi's white sneakers with black accents. One episode even has Van use it as a clue to find her when she gets kidnapped (her shoelace broke and she dropped her shoe on the stairs as she was taken away).
- In Mobile Fighter G Gundam, Chibodee wears pretty cool red sneakers that are obviously modelled after the red Converse All-Stars.
- In Noir, Kirika's rather distinctive pink shoes have received a degree of Memetic Mutation among fans, and they're also the first clue that she was the one who killed her partner Mireille's family 10 years ago since she wore nearly identical ones back then and The Reveal is shot from the feet up.
- In Sailor Moon, the Senshi's outfits include personalized footwear. Rei/Mars's red Combat Stilettos (which shoes lover Naoko Takeuchi states as her favorite), Michiru/Neptune's blue/green pumps with laces and Hotaru/Saturn's elaborate purple boots with black laces are among the nicest.
- An early story by Naoko Takeuchi, Miss Rain, has a beautiful pair of shoes as its MacGuffin. They belong to the mysterious School Idol "Miss Rain", who turns out to be the junior high student Rena Kuramitsu; her senpai Kei Furukawa sees her drop her shoes as she runs away from a ball, then realises who she is, and reveals that Rena is "Miss Rain" by having her put them on...
- Yu-Gi-Oh!: Jounouchi's grey and black sneakers got a whole chapter devoted to them when they were introduced. The sneakers are very rare, but Jounouchi got them for a bargain price after winning in a test of courage. However, soon after he got them, a group of sneaker hunters beat him and his friends Yugi and Honda up and steal his shoes. He immediately got revenge and beat them up. It turned out that the shoe salesman hired the sneaker hunters to re-sell them again and again. Atem challenged the shoe salesman to a Game of Darkness, using the sneakers, coins and the salesman's own scorpion as game components. However, the greedy salesman soon tried to stab his scorpion with a knife and attempted to grab all coins from the sneakers, but he was unable to pull his fist out. Laser-Guided Karma kicked in and he got stabbed by his own pet. Atem/Yugi retrieved the sneakers from the salesman, and despite there is now a hole in one of his shoes, Jounouchi keeps it as a memory. Since then, the sneakers are part of every of Jounouchi's outfits, and he is rarely seen without them.
- In Yumekui Merry, the Action Girl lead Merry Nightmare wears a cool-looking pair of black platform shoes, which has the same closed-eye sigil that's on her Nice Hat and Impossibly Cool Clothes.
- Pretty much obligitory for the Pretty Cure, where each Magical Girl Warrior goes into battle wearing Impossibly Cool Clothes, each with a pair of platform boots (Futari Wa to Yes Precure 5 GoGo), or high heel boots (each since Fresh).
- In an episode from the Netherlands arc of Hana no Ko Lunlun, Lunlun meets a corrupt klomp maker whose clogs look gorgeous and are quite affordable, but suffer of terribly low quality. She decides to unmask his bad business ethics to "save" potential customers from wearing shoes that look super nice, but are risky to use.
- The characters in the Pokémon anime have some very nice-looking shoes. The original series has Ash's black, red and white sneakers, mentioned prominently in the song "Type: Wild." Misty has her red sneakers with lightning bolts on them, and Brock has his navy sneakers. Gary has his strap-on boots, and even Team Rocket has some. Jessie has her high-heeled boots and James has his boots.
- Pokémon Special has plenty of characters with nice shoes. The Red and Blue arc has Red with his white sneakers with red stripes, Blue and Yellow have their boots, and Green has her high-heeled boots. The Gold and Silver arc has Gold's sneakers and Silver's boots. Much like the Escaflowne example, both are used to find them when they're kidnapped by the Masked Man. Lt. Surge finds one of each of their shoes when he fishes their belongings from the Lake of Rage.
- Kill la Kill: the outfits of the Kamui include very nice high heels, including Lady Satsuki and Ryoko Matoi as well as REVOCS President Ragyo Kiryuin. Ryoko's main outfit also includes a very nice pair of white sneakers, both Nui Harime and Nonon Jakuzure have very nice boots on their outfits (especially with Nonon's Marching Band Regalia).
- One Piece: As a thief, Nami went with practical and rather plain boots, but when she put that life behind her, she traded them for a preference toward wearing glamorous-looking high-heeled sandals, a holdover from her days of wearing sandals in a tropical environment growing up, along with her adoptive mother and sister and practically the rest of the islanders. However, she'll mix it up every so often with some other fancy footwear, including boots.
- Envy Adams from Scott Pilgrim has a seemingly endless supply of fancy high-heeled boots. They even come up as a plot point in a flashback when she sells her Anime paraphernalia to pay for a pair, highlighting how she and Scott are growing apart. Much is made over the fact that Kim actually wore a pair of nice heels to The Clash At Demonhead's gig. She ends up taking them off halfway through.
Films — Animation
Films — Live Action
- The Wizard of Oz features the Ruby Slippers - which were silver in the book, but didn't show up well on film, so they had to change them.
- I, Robot: in the film version, Detective Spooner wears a "classic" pair of Converse tennis shoes (circa 2004, when the movie came out).
- Denny Colt in The Spirit favors Converse sneakers.
- I'm Gonna Git You Sucka: After getting out of prison Fly Guy returns to being a pimp. He wears elevator shoes with miniature goldfish aquariums in the heels. When one of his shoes breaks and the fish spill out on the ground, they flop around a little bit.
- Ali in Burlesque ogles a pair of incredibly sparkly heels
- Rosa Klebb, villain of the James Bond movie From Russia with Love, hides poison daggers in the toes of her sensible shoes.
- Kathleen Turner in VI Warshawski keeps a pair of red high heels in a box at a bar for ... safety?
- Murat in The Man Who Saves the World has a pair of golden boots made from melting down his golden sword. One would presume this is supposed to be important, but like everything else in this movie it makes no sense and is never explained.
- In Pacific Rim (which has something of a shoe motif) Hannibal Chau flaunts his wealth with gold-plated dress shoes. They jangle like spurs any time he moves, and they get plenty of screen time. They also get referenced in the very last line of the movie, when a very much alive Hannibal crawls out of the dead Kaiju's stomach and yells "Where is my goddamn shoe?!"
- Cinderella (2015) has the gleaming crystal-like glass slippers, which also have a golden butterfly on the toes.
- Jem and the Holograms Juliette Lewis wears a pair of Delman Pointed Toe D'Orsay Pumps that get a considerable amount of close ups.
- Inverted in The Silence of the Lambs when Hannibal Lecter contrasts Clarice Starling's "good bag and cheap shoes".
- The fabulous mood changing red shoes in "The Wonderful Wizard of Buzz Issue" episode of The Latest Buzz.
- Firefly: River was known to tromp around in combat boots when she wasn't running around barefoot.note
- Mister Rogers has some pretty nice sneakers.
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit:
- In one episode, the detectives get a search warrant to look for a pair of shoes that left a distinctive footprint at the crime scene. They don't find them until the suspect comes home wearing them. The last line of the episode is Detective Stabler saying: "Nice shoes".
- The episode "Tortured" involves a dead woman dressed up as a prostitute, complete with some very chic boots... and one foot missing. The long explanation involves a college student borrowing a prototype from a house of fashion, then getting mugged by a guy with a very unhealthy foot fetish. He then escalates, forcing the victim - who came to his apartment by mistake - to model for him before getting way too personal...
- Doctor Who:
- The Fifth Doctor wore a pair of modern sneakers with an otherwise Edwardian Cricketer's uniform.
- Ten's multiple Converses.
- River Song's shoes. They have a facebook page.
- The Eighth Doctor had a brief moment of excitement over his shoes.
The Doctor: These shoes! (does a happy dance) They fit perfectly!
- Three and Four both talked about their shoes shortly after regenerating. Justified as they both kept the TARDIS key in one of them.
- The Fourth Doctor wears a pretty fabulous pair of old-fashioned golf shoes in "The Seeds of Doom", which receive a lot of attention in a sequence where he puts his feet on someone's desk.
- Twelve's Loakes and Dr. Martens boots.
- Ryan Stiles got a lot of jokes made about his taste in shoes in Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- In How I Met Your Mother, Ted meets a girl at a wedding reception, but they use only nicknames. When he later tries to find out who she is, they call a bridesmaid who might know her. She asks what shoes she wore - Ted remembers they were brown with sparkling snowflakes. The bride says they sound cute, but she doesn't know her. Robin however realizes she met a girl with shoes like these and knows she made a cake for the wedding. That's how Ted met Victoria.
- In The Mighty Boosh, London fashion icon and occasional Wholesome Crossdresser Vince Noir is never seen anywhere without a pair of really nice ladies' boots, often with large heels. The knee high black boots in Strange Tale of the Crack Fox had the highest heels he ever wore in the show and were absolutely MASSIVE, making you wonder how he was able to run from danger and jump out of high-up openings without falling over.
- It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia has Charlie Kelly's pair of vintage Vans Sk 8 His; black suede with red inner lining, red soles, and a white foxing stripe, which are occasionally shown off when he puts his feet up. Somewhat subverted as they appear to be Charlie's only shoes, appearing in every episode and really show it, with the sole textures wearing down, and large holes creeping up in the worn out heels as time goes on.
- Cinderella, with the glass slippers (although some versions make them fur-lined, which still fits this trope).
- Several characters in Discworld.
- Nanny Ogg once wears red boots as a Shout-Out to Oz.
- Granny Weatherwax is well known for her tough old and well-worn boots.
- Sam Vimes is a variation; his boots are always old and battered even when he can afford much better ones, but he's proud of the old cardboard-soled ones because he can feel the street through them and figure out where he is by the feel of the pavements.
- Adora Belle Dearheart wears Mitzy "Pretty Lucrezias", which with their four-inch spiked heels are generally agreed to be the most dangerous footwear on the Disc.
- The plot of Scott Westerfield's So Yesterday revolves around a pair of these.
- In one of the Redwall books, Logalog sings a comic ballad about a shrew whose fancy shoes get stolen by an owl.
- In the Lucky Starr series, Martian farm boys, including the hero's sidekick Bigman, are known for their garishly colored hip boots. In the first book, Bigman recognizes a disguised Lucky because no native Martian would wear such a plain pair.
- In the 1632 novel series, the sneakers some Americans wear (in 1630s Europe) receive more than a little comment from 1630s Europeans. The dress shoes worn by Michael Stearns get admiring attention from Rebecca Abranel.
- Subverted in Hans Christian Andersen's "The Red Shoes", where the titular red shoes are very nice indeed, but the little girl who wears them is cursed to dance without stopping because she is too vain to go without them, and she ends up having to have her feet chopped off so she doesn't die of exhaustion.
- Steam Powered Giraffe have a song about a particularly fancy pair.
- "My Adidas" by Run–D.M.C.:
Now, me and my Adidas do the illest things
We like to stomp out pimps with diamond rings
We slay all suckers who perpetrate
And lay down the law from State to State
We travel on gravel, dirt road or street
I wear my Adidas when I rock the beat
On stage, front page, every show I go
It's Adidas on my feet, hi-top or low
- Jeremy Popoff of the band Lit had a custom made pair of shoes that were black with white flames on them. He was so attached to the shoes that he even wore them at his wedding (his groomsmen wore similar shoes but with the colors were reversed, making them white with black flames). In the music video for the band's song "Miserable" after the giant woman eats him alive she spits out one of his signature shoes.
- There's also the Giant Woman's shoes in the same music video, a pair of six-inch open-toe platform heels so big that they are almost bigger than the band's lead singer.
- When he was doing his Iraqi sympathizer gimmick in the WWF during the first Gulf War, Sgt. Slaughter was quite proud of his curled-toe wrestling boots, supposedly a gift from Saddam Hussein himself.
- Xion in Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days has some rather nice pointy-toed heels that get at least one close-up shot.
- In Final Fantasy VIII Rinoa's slingback ballroom pumps with closed, pointed toes and double ankle straps are likely custom-made due to her being from a wealthy family, and have been the bane of many a cosplayer. They get plenty of close-ups, which are justified as most of them come from the dance sequence.
- Final Fantasy XIII offers Lightning's knee-high strap-covered combat boots and Vanille's fur-trimmed, turned-up, square-toe cowboy boots. And yes, both get occasional shots of said shoes for no particular reason other than varying camera angles.
- Much was made of Sonic's Soap shoes in Sonic Adventure 2, and the Grinding ability that came with them. Sonic, however, has always had distinctive red/white shoes, since it's the only thing he wears (besides a pair of gloves).
- Final Fight and Street Fighter:
- Guy is often noted for his sneakers, which he wears with his Highly Visible Ninja uniform. This has resulted in a meme stating, "Real ninjas wear Nikes!"
- Reptile in the movie also wore Nikes during his fight with Liu Kang.
- Bushin ninja and sister-in-law Maki (from Final Fight 2) also switched to sneakers for her appearances in Capcom vs. SNK 2 and Street Fighter Alpha 3.
- Along with her school uniform, Sakura Kasugano wears a snazzy pair of red Converse All-Stars when she participates in street-fighting tournaments.
- Guy's best friend and rival Cody sports what appears to be a pair of Adidas Superstar come Alpha 3. Unlike Guy's Nike Dukes (which he first showed off in SFA), it's implied these were part of his attire back in the original Final Fight.
- Guy is often noted for his sneakers, which he wears with his Highly Visible Ninja uniform. This has resulted in a meme stating, "Real ninjas wear Nikes!"
- The Caninu and Felineko of Solatorobo wear shoes that have a bump pattern on the sole that leaves pawprint-shaped marks.
- Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. Snake compliments the shoes of the old soviet scientist Granin by literally saying "Nice shoes". Granin cites this compliment as the reason he's giving him valuable intel. Turns out another spy wired the shoes.
- Only referenced but not shown in Dragon Age: Origins by Leliana. She's quite okay with traveling and camping in the cold and wet wilderness of Ferelden, even though she's really at home in the Deadly Decadent Courts of her homeland. But the worst thing about it is clearly the lack of nice shoes that go with a Pimped-Out Dress. Shoes are Serious Business!
Leliana: I once drank a thimble of dwarven ale. Woke up a week later in Jader wearing nothing but my shoes and a towel.Leliana: Oh? You... like shoes, do you?Leliana: It'll be fun, I promise! We'll get some shoes too! Ah, shoes! We could go shopping together!Leliana: I saw you looking at that girl in town earlier. You know, the one with the... with the shoes!Leliana: Orlais is very fashionable, almost rediculously so. ...but the shoes!!! When I left Orlais, the fasion was shoes with delicate tapered heels and embelishments in the front. A ribbon perhaps, or embroidery. In soft colors of cause, it was spring. I had my eye on a pair my shoemaker was working on. It was covered in pale blue silk with ember beads on the toes.
- The various Squid Kids in Splatoon have an array of colorful sneakers, courtesy of Shrimp Kicks.
- Each of the trainers wear nice looking runners in each game, and in Pokémon X and Y, one can even buy different pairs of shoes, as part of Kalos' fashion trend. In the same game, they can double as roller blades since not far into the game, you can attach roller blades and go faster.
- Cynthia, the Champion of Sinnoh wears black high-heel boots with a yellow stripe to go with her black Badass Longcoat, showing her to be quite classy though benevolent. (Though this is Depending on the Artist, since her in-game sprite is not detailed enough to confirm her wearing heels, though most official art of her shows them.)
- Pokémon Sun and Moon continue the trend of players being given nice shoes at the outset, as well as being able to buy other kinds of footwear in the various shops in the Alola region. Other examples include the white sneakers worn by members of Team Skull, with the leader Guzma and admin Plumeria even having their own kicks to signify their rank. Gladion has a pair of red sneakers for his role as enforcer. The members of the Aether Foundation also have some very nice white shoes, with President Lusamine having a pair of open-toed high heels with gold accents.
- As an obvious pun, Pendles the sneaky professional assassin snake man from Battleborn wears a dope pair of sneakers for sneaking. Said sneakers have a subtle squeak regardless of terrain.
- Tracer's running shoes in Overwatch.
- There's no shortage of cool footwear in Guilty Gear, like I-no's red thigh-high boots and Jack O's sleek black pumps that look a lot like Sailor Venus's orange ones.
- Linus of Linus Tech Tips wears socks under sandals. He insists that they're superior to full shoes.
- Homestar Runner:
- In the "Powered by the Cheat" short "New Boots", the Cheat wears a pair of cowboy boots with dollar signs embroidered on them. Strong Bad and Homestar both feel the need to compliment him on them.
- In the Strong Bad Email "extra plug", Strong Bad orders a pair of "Old Fatty's 'Lectric Boots" in the mail, which are covered in flashing lights. They're not as cool as they first seem to be since the allegedly "whisper quiet" cooling fans make a ton of noise, and the lights suck up so much power they cause a blackout in Strong Bad's house.
- Murdoc Niccals of Gorillaz is notoriously proud of his Cuban-heeled boots and almost always wears them even when wearing nearly nothing else. According to the biography, Rise of the Ogre, he was deeply annoyed by Damon Albarn upon first meeting him, because:
The first thing Damon said to Murdoc, pointing down at his boots, was "Your Cuban heels are crap. Look, mine are the proper sort." Damon was wearing a pair like Murdoc's, but with fancy gold spurs and solid silver heels.
- Disco Stu in The Simpsons has shoes with goldfish in the soles. Unfortunately, the fish are dead, because he can't take them out or feed them.
- South Park:
- In the episode "The List", a group of girls fakes a list that says Clyde is the cutest boy in the class so they can date him and get shoes.
- Even Wendy is distracted by one particularly cute pair of shoes.
- Sid's Beatle boots in Hey Arnold!.
- Kimi's purple cowgirl boots in Rugrats
- Maggie's punk boots in The Buzz on Maggie.
- Jonny Quest wore PF Flyers◊, even appearing in commercials for the shoes.
- Phantasma's white high heeled boots in Scooby-Doo and the Ghoul School.
- Star Butterfly's boots in Star vs. the Forces of Evil.
- Most of the characters in Teen Titans. Robin has steel-toed boots designed to look like Chuck Taylors, Beast Boy has Velcro sneakers with paw-print soles, and even Cyborg has some pretty cool-looking feet. Glen Murakami had this to say on the character designs:
"I just didn't want them super-buff like the Justice League characters. I wanted them to have a clumsy quality about them. And like all teenagers, they would really be into footwear. Big clod-hopper shoes. That's why I gave [Robin] the metal [steel-toe] combat boots."
- Lord Hater, the main antagonist of Wander over Yonder, a living skeleton who can shoot lightning and punch someone with enough force to send through a planet, wears high-tops, hidden by that black-and-red cloak he wears. They're even lampshaded by Wander on at least one encounter.
- Wander himself also has a very nice pair of navy-and-black shoes that he wears on his travels.
- Many female characters of My Little Pony: Equestria Girls. Highlights go to Twilight Sparkle's black dress shoes, Rainbow Dash's knee-high boot version of sport shoes or (in the third movie), Sunset Shimmer's black knee-high high-heel boots.
- Spongebob Squarepants, as The One Who Wears Shoes, wears black leather loafers, which helps add to his Adorkable personality, especially with the squeaky sounds as he walks.
- Say what you want about My Life Me and it's notorious character designs, but one can admit how cool Birch's black punk shoes with purple laces look. Also, her cousin Liam also wear black Converse-looking shoes with green laces.
- On Milo Murphy's Law, Milo doesn't wear shoes, but slippers. Word of Saint Paul says that they're the old fashioned, durable kind, and that he wears them because, with Murphy's Law, he doesn't wear anything with shoelaces.
- In Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, the Gromble wears red high heels on his four feet. The Gromble is male, incidentally.
- The Raw Toonage short "My New Shoes" (a parody of Run D.M.C.'s "My Adidas") is about a kid with Tricked-Out Shoes with so many bells and whistles, he starts to worry his shoes are cooler than he is.
- Elvis Presley and his Blue Suede Shoes, which themselves were originally Carl Perkins' Blue Suede Shoes.
- KISS wore some outlandish shoes.
- Elton John wore some gigantic shoes as The Local Lad in The Who's Tommy. He even took the part on the condition that he got to keep them afterwards. Prominently featured in his Licensed Pinball Table, Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy.
- Due to his short stature, Doctor Steel wore platform boots. On one occasion, they had lights in the soles.
- Clown shoes, always ridiculously oversized and often bright red.
- Converse Chuck Taylor All-Stars are one of the most iconic sneakers ever made (just look how many times they're referenced on this page alone!).
- Lolita fashion has Rocking Horse Shoes (originally designed by Vivienne Westwood), which can have platforms up to eight inches high! It also has a variety of chunky Mary Janes, tea-party flats, and, in the fashion icon Mana's case, hooker heels. But it's just Mana who wears those. But he can get away with it, because he's AWESOME.
- "Weird Al" Yankovic has an impressive collection◊ of Vans sneakers.
- Imelda Marcos owned thousands of shoes.
- Traditional Mongolian boots manage a layered look, being waterproof, being able to keep people warm in winters of -40F, and have highly intricate and colorful patterns◊ on them. Normal Western boots are referred to in colloquial Mongolian as plain boots, which, by comparison, is pretty much true.
- Mary jane shoes