Lennon Specs is a type of sunglasses with perfectly round lenses, preferably black or red. They are, not surprisingly, named after John Lennon
. They are mostly commonly worn by beatniks
, hippies and - since they are uncommon and noticeable - unconventional but notable characters.
Thanks to John Lone in The Last Emperor
, they're known as 'Pu Yi' glasses in Chinese-speaking countries note
A subtrope of Cool Shades
. See also Triangle Shades
. Furthermore, please note that perfectly round but clear glasses, despite also having been worn by John Lennon, do not fall under this trope. Neither do oval sunglasses, square-ish sunglasses with rounded edges, or any other type of sunglasses with less than perfectly round lenses.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In one X-Men storyline (X-Men: Divided). the X-Men are tracking down a group of hippies who have used Lady Mastermind's mind control powers to turn the Haight-Ashbury area back to the way it was in the sixties. Emma Frost mentally alters their clothing to fit in, and Cyclops's visor turns into ruby-quartz Lennon specs.
- Black leather 90s Superboy wore these.
- King Mob in The Invisibles wears them.
- I-Ching, Wonder Woman's mentor during her depowered phase.
Live Action TV
- In the pilot episode of Firefly, Simon first appears wearing a red pair.
- In Mitsumete Knight, Sam Burston, one of the three local punks, wears black round sunglasses, at all times.
- Doctor Eggman.
- Wild Dog owns a dark blue pair (purple in TC 3).
- Oshare Bones wears a small, orange-tinted pair.
- In Dead Rising, You can obtain some with free DLC.
- Rock Band includes these among the types of eyewear you can put on your characters, and like most of the other sunglasses, they can be any colour.
- In Final Fantasy IV, resident Badass Grandpa, Tellah, has a pair.
- Archibald Grims from Super Robot Wars Original Generation sports a dark-green pair.
- In Saints Row The Third the Morningstar specialists wear a pair of these with bright red lenses. These specs can also be bought and worn by the player's character if they have the DLC that adds the ability to wear rival gang clothing.
- A red-lensed pair of these have been the trademark of Madness Combat's Hank from Depredation onward.
- In addition, Sanford also sports a pair that he obtains in Episode 6.5.