open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Hibari of Katekyo Hitman Reborn!.
- Okina of Rurouni Kenshin.
- Naizer, a Chrono Number of Black Cat.
- Marie Mjollnir of Soul Eater is normally a hammer, based on her inspiration. However, as a Death Scythe, she can modify her weapon form, in this case, she extends one end of the hammer and thus becoming an impromptu tonfa.
- Kid wields Liz and Patty upside-down so they can double as these in close-range combat.
- The Glasgow, Sutherland, and Vincent Ward in Code Geass.
- Gin, Don Krieg's first mate in One Piece uses modified tonfas; his have weights on the striking ends.
- J.D. from Neo Angelique.
- Elie of Rave Master uses tonfas, using them to shoot bullets and, later, Etherion.
- Kuu Fei's pactio in the first Mahou Sensei Negima! anime was a pair of these. In the manga, she got a Simple Staff (that can grow and extend ala Journey to the West).
- Lyrical Nanoha
- Akane from Mai Hime. Her manga incarnation uses a standard set, while in the anime, her tonfas form a cross-shape pattern. Her Mai-Otome incarnation also uses them with her Meister robe.
- The Gottorlatan, Kathejina's final mobile suit in Victory Gundam, wields beam tonfas.
- Shadow Gundam of G Gundam uses bladed tonfas.
- The title character of Fairy Musketeers wields a pair of bladed tonfas with small shields over the hand areas. Her fighting style is very swift as a result, often running up beside her opponents to slash at them from the sides.
- Resident Ninja Damemon from Digimon Xros Wars uses these.
- Rock Lee briefly uses them in the Naruto anime, but Kisame breaks them with one swing of his BFS.
- Rosario + Vampire has the Shadowless Sword, a tonfa forged from light that nestles in the palm of a knifehand strike. Its real purpose is to cancel out the Vibroweapon/Telefrag effect of the Dimension Sword, though Tsukune also seems to use them as proper tonfa while fighting Aqua.
- These are Shin Acura's weapons in Coffin Princess Chaika: Avenging Battle.
- In Winter War, Takano Dan has dual tonfa as the shikai form of his zanpakutou.
- Snake Eyes in G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra.
- Karl Ruprecht Kroenen in Hellboy uses bladed tonfas.
- Ryo Saeba uses a pair of table legs as such in the Live-Action Adaptation of City Hunter.
- He usually only uses the one, but at some point near the climax of Hot Fuzz, Nicholas Angel grabs a second baton and dual-wields them in this fashion.
- Starting The Force Awakens, Stormtroopers in the Star Wars sequel trilogy are now equipped with tonfas that could withstand lightsabers.
- Tonfas had to be banned in Swordcraft, because several members of the group were police in their day jobs, and were too good with them.
Live Action TV
- In the short-lived live-action show Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation, Michaelangelo uses dual tonfas as his signature weapon, due to the Moral Guardians outlawing nunchucks on children's television in some areas.
- Kamen Rider Faiz has Kamen Rider Psyga.
- One of the rarer personal weapon choices for Blue Rangers in Super Sentai/Power Rangers.
- The Weapon of Choice of Laurel Lance aka Black Canary in Arrow as it fits her smash mouth style of fighting.
- Specter of Ape Escape Milion Monkeys carries dual beam tonfas as starting weapons.
- Talim of the Soul Series uses bladed tonfas, however you can equip her with the regular wooden sort as well.
- Orchid of Killer Instinct traded her Laser Blades in the first game for a pair of these in the second.
- Rachel and Tracy of Battle Arena Toshinden.
- Levin of Wild AR Ms XF.
- Melee Wanzers in Front Mission can rushdown other wanzers with tonfas, they can also stun, depending on the pilot's abilities.
- Used by Riou, the main character of Suikoden II. And his imposter, Hoi.
- Shows up as a findable weapon in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, although it's misnamed as "nunchaku". It hits twice.
- Selectable weapon in Ninja Gaiden II.
- Selectable weapon in Parasite Eve 2.
- Can be found and used in Left For Dead II.
- Strider Hiryu uses a bladed tonfa.
- Yoko Kono and Red-Eye of Last Bronx.
- The signature weapon of the Apharmd class of Mecha in the Virtual-ON series.
- Maris Brood of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed uses tonfa-lightsabers.
- Bayonetta's Lt. Col. Kilgore is a pair of RPGs wielded like tonfas, because why not?
- The R-Blade in the Super Robot Wars series uses bladed tonfas.
- The Fighter class in Dungeon Fighter Online has dual tonfas as one of her weapon sets. They're quite fast, second only to gloves in combo speed.
- Maki from Final Fight 2 and Street Fighter Alpha 3 uses one.
- Makoto Nanaya from BlazBlue: Continuum Shift.
- Raven uses them in Eve Of Extinction, where they are the most advanced Legacy prototype and give him access to energy blasts. Josh gets his hands on them for the last level, where they lose that power but can make him Immune to Bullets for their Legacy Drive.
- Monster Hunter's PC MMO installment Monster Hunter Frontier introduced the Battle Tonfas, a large pair of pneumatic tonfas. Due to its highly versatile moveset and the ability to switch between two different attack modes—one of which allows wielders to quickly knock monsters out cold—it has been described by Japanese players as quite overpowered.
- Stryker from Mortal Kombat fights with nightsticks in Armageddon, being a policeman.
- Vyse's cutlasses in Skies of Arcadia have extra grips on the hilts to allow one to be wielded as a tonfa in his off-hand.
- The Recoil Rod of Mega Man Zero 3. In concept art, it's wielded in two, but in-game Zero can only be seen using one at a time.
- During his "1000 Slash" EX Skill, he does appear to be using two.
- Mao from Tales of Rebirth wields these, though being a mage, he doesn't actually hit anything with them much.
- Sun Ce from the Dynasty Warriors series provides the page image. He wields a pair of tonfas as his Weapon of Choice in every entry but 6, as well as the crossovers.
- Gallade from Pokémon has natural tonfas that extend from the elbows when it is ready to fight.
- Xavi of Sengoku Basara wields handheld cannons that he uses like tonfas when he's not firing them. He can also use them as a Rocket-Powered Weapon of sorts.
- Warframe introduced the Kronen, a massive bladed pair of tonfas, as the first example of these weapons available to the Tenno in Update 14.5.
- In Mutant Ninja Turtles Gaiden, Renoir receives a pair of tonfas as a gift from his master.
- Noah of El Goonish Shive dual-wields what appear to be flaming tonfas.
- Spinnerette: Park, Marilyn's Battle Butler, established himself as a Badass Normal when he scored a couple good hits with dual tonfas on Colonel Glass, a level triple-A supervillain.