open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- The Once an Episode opening scene of Serial Experiments Lain establishes its city location by a montage of power lines, crowds crossing roads, and the familiar Japanese "Don't Walk" sign. This gives a sense of tension and mundanity at the same time.
- Well, part of that tension might be because the viewers remember what happened during the opening of the first episode, intermixed with these same establishing shots.
- Kare Kano made good use of this trope.
- This was how you knew the cast had arrived in a new Adventure Town in Slayers.
Films — Animation
- A version of this is used on the American cop show NYPD Blue.
- Could be used to describe the scene-setting montages used in The Apprentice.
- Frequently used in television newscasts as a way of establishing location when the news segment is about a specific activity or one that tends to occur at a specific location.
- Used nearly Once an Episode in Hannibal.
- Also somewhat used in the video game Ape Escape and its sequels.