The Midwich Cuckoos
is a 1957 science fiction novel by John Wyndham
All the women of childbearing age and capability in the village of Midwich simultaneously become pregnant with alien children who all share the same uncanny appearance and have the ability to mentally manipulate people.
It has been filmed twice under the title Village of the Damned
This novel provides examples of:
- Aliens in Cardiff
- Asshole Victim: The wifebeater father of one of the babies is forced to repeatedly punch himself in the face after striking his infant son hard enough to leave a bruise.
- Bizarre Baby Boom
- But I Can't Be Pregnant!: Virgins and a faithful wife whose husband has been away for several months are understandably perplexed. Rather horribly, at least one of the virgins is a "woman" in that she's started menstruating but is really little more than a child herself.
- Blondes are Evil: The alien children.
- Creepy Child
- First-Person Peripheral Narrator: The narrator, Richard Gayford, is a fairly uninspiring and relatively uninvolved observer. If the book can be said to have a protagonist, it would have to be Zellaby.
- Hive Mind
- It's The Only Way To Be Sure: An entire Russian village that has undergone a similar baby boom is nuked by the military. They can't even warn the innocent parties to leave, because if they did, the babies would be tipped off and do something about it...
- Super Intelligence
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: When born, the alien babies seem human except for their uncanny gold eyes.