This book contains examples of:
- Author Appeal: A running trait in Murakami novels. This one has characters obssessed with reading, and a lot of classical music.
- Dream Sequence: Several. One of the key ones forms the basis of a piece Sumire writes.
- Incompatible Orientation: K and Sumire.
- Love Triangle: K, in love with Sumire, in love with Miu.
- May–December Romance: Of a sort, between Sumire and Miu.
- Mind Screw: Good luck figuring out what actually happened to Sumire.
- No Ending: Quite common in Murakami novels.
- One-Letter Name: The narrator, only known as K.
- Rape as Backstory: Implied for Miu.