An Alternate History
written by AlternateHistory.com
member D'Valdron, author of Green Antarctica
. Inspired by Lands of Red and Gold
, it features the Thule culture developing a peculiar agriculture package in the 7th century that allows them to build an agricultural society in the Arctic. The Thule realm (not a united nation) stretches from eastern Siberia across Alaska and northern Canada to Greenland, and even all the way to places like Svalbard.
Can be found here
, although forum membership is required.
This series contains examples of:
- Alternate History: Check the URL if you don't believe me.
- Cool Old Guy: Grandfather, a Thule shaman who lived among the Norse and invented the Thule alphabet.
- Eskimo Land: Utterly subverted - it is surprisingly fertile and home to the most advanced civilization in the New World.
- Horny Vikings: Subverted. When the Thule finally reach the Norse colony in Greenland, it's dying. The Norse barely stick around long enough to pass on things like sheep, bog iron, and writing.
- The Plague: The Thule get hit hard, enough that some of the survivors found the first organized religion in the New World.
- Shown Their Work: Most of the early chapters are extended entries on the specific plants which make it at all possible to do agriculture in the Arctic.
- The Theocracy: By 1600, Greenland has become a theocracy that believes Jesus Christ is a plague god.
- Wham Episode: The chapter introducing Manupataq, founder of the first homegrown organized religion among the Thule.