Chronicles of the Misplaced Prince
is a series of young adult novels by Canadian comedian Seán Cullen.
It centers around the adventures of Brendan Clair, an Ordinary High-School Student
whose life is turned upside down when he discovers that he is actually a Faerie prince who was raised as a human.
The first book in the series, The Prince of Neither Here Nor There
, was released in late 2009. The second novel, The Prince of Two Tribes
was released in October 2010. It has been confirmed that this will be a trilogy.
These novels contain examples of:
- Adorkable - Brendan
- Pretty Boy - Mr. Greenleaf. His description makes him sound like a Code Geass character, for goodness sakes! This also applies to latecomer Ariel...and, apparently, faeries in general.
- Greenleaf's sister, Deirdre, is also (fittingly) beautiful.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter - Brendan's sister, Delia Clair.
- Cool Teacher - Also Mr. Greenleaf.
- Covert Pervert - Dmitri, of all people, comments on how he doesn't want to miss street hockey practice because he wants to see girls in short skirts hitting each other with sticks.
- Cute Clumsy Boy - Brendan is a rare male version. He runs into doorframes, bumps his head, trips on everything...and it somehow manages to make him more appealing.
- Crowning Moment of Funny - Skreet + sugarfree gum and everything with BLT. Also, the above bit with Dmitri commenting on the "finer" side of street hockey.
- Along with several of the footnotes, some of which are even funnier if you are familiar with Toronto.
- I Am Who? / Locked Out of the Loop - Brendan on his true identity.
- New Transfer Student - Dmitri
- Old Retainer - Crusty Caretaker Finbar, who worked at the orphanage where Brendan was left as a baby. We later find out that he is a faerie himself, exiled from the faerie world after falling in love with a human.
- Orphan's Plot Trinket - Brendan's pendant.
- Power Tattoo - Though not a tattoo, per se, Brendan's spiral-shaped scar fits this trope. That is, until it gets taken off, revealing that it was really a sort of charm that hid his Faerie nature to everyone around him.
- Petting Zoo People - A lot of the Lesser Faeries have this sort of flavour.
- Sweet Tooth - BLT. Oh, so very much...
- Technicolor Eyes - Grey, lavender, and 'flecked with gold' are all mentioned in the text. Kind of justified by the fact these are magical beings we're talking about...
- Tsundere - Kim
- UnfortunateName - BLT. These are the initials of a faerie who was found in a sandwich.note