Soviet series of books by Eduard Uspensky and animated puppet stop-motion shorts about Cheburashka, critter of ambiguous nature who is a friend of Gena The Crocodile who works in a zoo (as a crocodile).All four of the shorts are available with English subtitles on Youtube:
Book and shorts provide examples of:
- Animated Adaptation: Two decades after the last stop-motion short was made in 1983. There was an anime that was based on some of the stories.
- Card-Carrying Villain: Shapoklyak does all the nasty things she does solely for the sake of infamy. She's a female Dastardly Whiplash!
- Cartoon Creature
- Credits-Brand Products: in the first short
- I Just Want to Have Friends
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Shapoklyak, ultimately
- Lions and Tigers and Humans... Oh, My! / Furry Confusion: Some animals (Gena the crocodile, Chandra the lion, an unnamed bear) can talk, walk on twos, wear clothes and generally don't differ much from humans (at one point crocodiles' unusual longevity is mentioned, Gena is a young adult at 50). Some cannot talk and walk on fours. Most secondary and incidental characters are humans.
- Lean and Mean: Shapoklyak
- Non-Human Sidekick: Lariska the rat, to Shapoklyak
- Plot Hole: in the first short Cheburashka comes to Gena's place because he read an ad about him looking for friends on the bulletin board. Later, he read a sign about scrap metal collection. And then the fourth short is all built around Cheburashka being unable to read.
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: Extremely averted with Gena.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Chaburashka
- Ridiculously Fast Construction: "house for friends" was built in ten days
- Road Sign Reversal: one of the Shapoklyak's pranks
- Villain Song: Shapoklyak