Perhaps one of the more overlooked qualities of the 'Boys is their off-beat sense of humor, more often than not created by Cloud Cuckoolander
-in-chief Brian Douglas Wilson
- "Our Favorite Recording Sessions" on All Summer Long is hilarious. It gives real insight into the friendship and camaraderie between the boys, and it's all good, clean fun.
"...All the way from Hawthorne, California, we're flying over Carl Wilson who's going to jump 600 feet into a two foot cup!"
- "Drive-In" from the same album contains a couple of pretty funny lyrics.
Don't sneak your buddies in the trunk 'cause they might get caught by the drive-in
And they'd look kinda stupid gettin' chased through the lot...
- "Busy Doin' Nothin'" is a meandering little Bossa Nova thing about a pretty neurotically normal day for Brian. In particular, his way of incorporating directions to his house in a repetitive chorus that doesn't seem to want to end. It's very Brian.
- "Chug-a-Lug" is a goofy little number from Surfin' Safari that paints a pretty funny, and possibly true-to-life, picture in your head of the Boys and assorted friends hanging out at the local soda shop. Might make a decent episode of a hypothetical Band Toon, for one...
- While often considered a bit of an out-of-place anti-climax to Today!, "Bull Session with The Big Daddy" is a blast, in the same vein as "Our Favorite Recording Sessions".
''You stepped on my french fries..."
- Brian wrote "Vega-Tables" while on a health food kick, and would probably be a perfect soundtrack for the wackiest and peppiest "eat-your-greens" PSA of all time.
- "Let's go surfing now. Everybody's learning how. Come on and safari with us." Brian's reluctant reactions and several almost-wipeouts just sell it!