Film: Wedding Wars
Wedding Wars is a 2006 Made-for-TV Movie about gay marriage, starring John Stamos, Eric Dane, Bonnie Sommerville and Sean Maher.Ben Grandy is the re-election campaign manager for the governor of Maine. He's also marrying the governor's daughter, and they pick Ben's brother, Shel, to plan the wedding, even though Ben and Shel's relationship is strained because Ben is uncomfortable about Shel being gay.But then, the governor decides to back a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage as a part of his campaign, and Ben writes the speech of that. When Shel finds out, he quits the wedding and starts a strike in front of the governor's house. Mayhem ensues.Don't confuse it with Bride Wars.
Tropes appearing in this movie:
- Bouquet Toss
- Butch Lesbian: With motorcycles.
- Camp Gay: Gay hairdressers? Check. Florists? Check. Singers, pool boys, party planners? Check.
- Coming-Out Story: Shel. The media kick Ted out of the closet.
- Gay Aesop.
- Heteronormative Crusader: Ben has some traits of this.
- Magical Queer: Shel can plan every detail of the wedding without help. Later, a gay crowd can make it all work in a couple of hours.
- Men Are Uncultured: Ben, a little, and especially his best friend, Wayne.
- Mistaken for Gay: Shel thinks one of the guys he meets when he's arrested is gay.
- Mood Whiplash: Several.
- Not So Different: Ben and Shel.Maggie: You and your brother have a lot more in common than you think [...] None of you is going to have sex with a woman tonight.Ted: Besides the great hair, both seem to have inherited a stubborn streak.
- Old, New, Borrowed and Blue: And wait to see where is she wearing the something blue.
- Race for Your Love: Ben believes he has to do this.
- Runaway Bride: Averted
- Slave to PR: The governor's stance on gay marriage comes more from electoral interests than from actual beliefs.
- Straight Gay: Ted.
- Theme Naming: Shel, Ben and Ted.