Film / Tower Block
A 2012 low-budget suspense thriller set in a near-empty tower block on a London Council Estate
. Serenity House is due for demolition and the all the tenants have been moved out except the top floor. After 15 year old Jimmy is kicked to death by local drug dealers, the resident witnesses refuse to co-operate with the police for fear of retaliation. Some months later, somebody is out for revenge for their silence.
Tower Block features examples of:
- Anyone Can Die: Most of the residents are killed in the film
- Asshole Victim: Gary and Mark, the drug dealers who killed Jimmy, are exposed to the sniper by Kurtis
- Booby Trap: Several impede the escapees
- Chekhov's Gun: The nail gun left behind by the builders.
- Cold Sniper: On an adjacent, empty tower block
- Concealment Equals Cover: Daniel uses a thin piece of metal as cover from a rifle that should be able to shoot through it; the rounds ricochet like BB pellets.
- Dirty Cop: The sniper is a policeman, frustrated at being unable to prosecute Gary and Mark for Jimmy's murder
- Disproportionate Retribution: Two drug dealers beat a 15 year old to death, and everyone's too afraid to rat out the attackers. The cop, frustrated, murders most of the residents, including two children under the age of ten who had nothing to do with it. And he still insists, when confronted, that it was justified.
- Driven to Suicide: Jenny walks into the sniper's line of fire, some time after her children are murdered in the initial attack
- Five Man Band
- Heel–Face Turn: Kurtis is a protection racketeer who intimidates the other residents for money. After the initial sniper attack, after a beating from Neville, he starts to become more meek and helpful. he's one of the only survivors
- He Who Fights Monsters: Kurtis warns Becky against killing in cold blood, even in revenge, as the act will scar her forever.
- The sniper turns out to be a detective who snapped after a 13 year old boy was beaten to death and no one was brave enough to tell what they saw or heard.
- I Know Mortal Kombat: Daniel is able to identify the sniper's rifle from playing constantly Battlefield 3
- Not quite. He claims it's a PSG-1, whereas it looks like it's actually a variant of the Mk. 14 EBR.
- Infant Immortality: Averted repeatedly. The film's prologue shows a 15 year old being kicked to death outside Becky's flat. Jenny's kids are shot during the initial sniper attack; Daniel is shot after making it out of the block.
- Laser Sight: Seen on Violet just before Neville saves her; later on, Carol thinks she's escaped before she sees the little red dot
- Nail 'Em: Becky uses the builders' nail gun as a ranged weapon
- Retired Badass: Neville is ex-military