The Heartbreak Kid
is a 1972 comedy-drama directed by Elaine May
and scripted by Neil Simon
plays Lenny Cantrow, a sporting goods salesman who marries a Nice Jewish Girl
named Lila (Jeannie Berlin
). While on their honeymoon, Lila's odd habits, neuroses, and awkwardness become increasingly unbearable, and Lenny divorces her in order to pursue blonde WASP goddess Kelly (Cybill Shepherd
This film includes examples of:
- Cringe Comedy: Lenny's breakup with Lila is equal parts hilarious and heartbreaking.
- Embarrassingly Painful Sunburn: What happens to Lila after spending an entire day on the beach, sans sunblock.
- Papa Wolf: Kelly's father (Eddie Albert) takes an instant disliking to Lenny, which eventually blossoms into seething hatred. He tries numerous times to keep him away from his daughter, even resorting to bribery at one point.
- Shiksa Goddess: Jewish Lenny falls hard for blonde, blue-eyed Kelly ... while on his honeymoon.
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist: With barely a shred of remorse, Lenny dumps his nebbish (yet loving) wife less than a week into their marriage.