Film: The Gift
A 2000 Sam Raimi Horror/Mystery starring Cate Blanchett, Keanu Reeves, Giovanni Ribisi, Katie Holmes, Greg Kinnear, Hilary Swank, and a huge list of Hey, It's That Guy! actors, Written by Billy Bob Thornton and Tom Epperson.Annie Wilson is a young widow trying to make ends meet in a small town in Alabama as a clairvoyant. She's booked around the clock by those seeking advice, but the rest of the town sees her either as a liar or a witch. Annie is called upon by those who normally don't ask for her help, however, when the daughter of the richest man in town goes missing and the investigation hits a brick wall. As she tries to help the investigation, being contacted by the ghost of the missing woman the whole time, her normal duties of being a widowed mother and advising some locals with some very real problems of their own begins to fall apart.
Provides examples of:
- Adult Fear: Annie lost her husband in a factory explosion, Valerie is caught in an extremely abusive marriage, and Buddy has some issues with his father that he can't tell anyone about.
- Blessed with Suck: Annie can see the future. Shame the future is filled with horrors.
- Face-Heel Turn: Donnie is the only obviously villainous character in the story. When it turns out he's not the killer, you know this is going to happen.
- Ironic Echo: Used to great effect a couple of times.
- "Donnie's not crazy enough to kill anybody."
- "She didn't like it when I killed her."
- A Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Read: Averted, though subtly implied. Annie goes on a rant about how the entire situation is the exact opposite of fun when accused of enjoying the theatrical trial, of which she has been made the main attraction. That same trial asked her to read the defense attorney's mind, but she can't.