The story of 19th century Australian outlaw Ned Kelly has been the subject of two Biopics, both simply titled Ned Kelly. The first film was made in 1970; it was directed by Tony Richardson and starred Mick Jagger as Ned. The second film dates from 2003, and stars Heath Ledger and Orlando Bloom.
- Armor Is Useless: Subverted. Ned's improvised helmet and breastplate protect him from the coppers' bullets.
- Badass Beard: Ned grows one during his time in the bush.
- The Blacksmith: Ned turns some rusty old plows into a suit of armor.
- Bulletproof Vest: A full suit of armour, in this case.
- Bounty Hunter: The gang get into a shootout with a German immigrant wearing a pickelhaube.
- The Dandy: Ned steals a velvet tailcoat and frilly shirt from a wealthy landowner.
- Dirty Cop: Some of the coppers take bribes not to arrest criminals, and run protection rackets to extort money from poor homesteaders.
- Determined Widow: Ma Kelly.
- Fake Irish: Mick Jagger's attempt to imitate the real life Kelly's accent.
- Folk Hero: Ned is viewed as Australia's Robin Hood because he targets wealthy asshole victims who cause suffering among the poor.
- Guns Akimbo: Ned wields a pair of Colt revolvers in the final shootout.
- The Gunslinger: Ned idolizes the dime novel outlaws of the Old West.
- Historical Beauty Update: Scooter-Riding Mod Mick Jagger portrays Ned.
- The Irish Diaspora: The Kelly family came to Australia to escape the potato famine.
- Morally Bankrupt Banker: The banks threaten to repossess the Irish settlers' land, and throw them out of their homes.
- Notable Original Music: Mick Jagger had minimal musical involvement with the 1970 version. Instead, it featured several narrative ballads composed by Shel Silverstein and sung by Waylon Jennings and Kris Kristofferson.
- Pet the Dog: The gang are popular with their fellow Irish settlers because during a bank robbery Ned burned all the paperwork listing the bank's debtors.
- Preacher Man: Father O'Hea.
- Prospector: Being set during Australia's Gold Rush, Ned encounters and robs a mule train carrying nuggets.
- Rancher: The antagonistic wealthy landowners whom Kelly robs.
- The Rustler: The Kelly brothers resort to stealing horses to feed their starving family.
- The Sheriff: Superintendent Nicholson.
- The Western: The Bushrangers are the Aussie equivalent of desperados, and the Victoria police fill the role of the Posse.
- Young Gun: Ned and the gang.
IMDB Entry: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066130/?ref_=nv_sr_2