Film: In Your Eyes
In Your Eyes is a 2014 science-fiction romance film directed by Brin Hill and written and executive produced by Joss Whedon. It is the second film from Bellwether Pictures—Whedon and his wife Kai Cole's production company—following 2013's Much Ado About Nothing. It premiered at the TriBeCa Film Festival on April 20th, 2014, at which it was also made available world-wide to rent on Vimeo. You can do so here.The story follows two people, Rebecca (Zoe Kazan) and Dylan (Michael Stahl-David), who discover that they have a strange supernatural connection with each other. Despite living on opposite sides of the country, they can experience each other's senses.
This film contains examples of:
- Abusive Dad: Rebecca's father, "the scariest man alive."
- The Atoner - Dylan is on parole after spending some time in prison for B+E/robbery.
- Brilliant but Lazy: Dylan is described as this — a very smart guy mixed in with the wrong kind of people.
- Buffy Speak: It's a Joss Whedon movie, all right. In a drunken conversation, Dylan calls himself a "criminal element man-type".
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Since both Dylan and Rebecca can experience each other's senses, this doubles as their love scene in the movie.
- Domestic Abuser: Rebecca's husband, Philip, an emotionally abusive jerk who corrects her constantly, forces her to change clothes, reads her the riot act for having a breakdown, throws out anything that connects her to her past and, in the end, has her medicated and committed to a mental institution when he believes she is cheating on him.
- Long Distance Relationship - An unusual play on the concept, since Rebecca and Dylan have never met at all when they meet each other several hundred miles apart.
- Smug Snake: Philip, who is far too sure of himself and his brilliance.
- Those Two Bad Guys: Dylan's friends and criminal confederates, Bo and Lyle. Bo's the dunce, Lyle's the smart one.