In Your Eyes
is a 2014 science-fiction romance film directed by Brin Hill and written and executive produced by Joss Whedon
. It is the second film from Bellwether Pictures—Whedon and his wife Kai Cole's production company—following 2013's Much Ado About Nothing
. It premiered at the TriBeCa Film Festival on April 20th, 2014, at which it was also made available world-wide to rent on Vimeo. You can do so here
The story follows two people, Rebecca (Zoe Kazan) and Dylan (Michael Stahl-David), who discover that they have a strange supernatural connection with each other. Despite living on opposite sides of the country, they can experience each other's senses.
This film contains examples of:
- Abusive Dad: Rebecca's father, "the scariest man alive."
- The Atoner - Dylan is on parole after spending some time in prison for B+E/robbery.
- Brilliant but Lazy: Dylan is described as this — a very smart guy mixed in with the wrong kind of people.
- Buffy Speak: It's a Joss Whedon movie, all right. In a drunken conversation, Dylan calls himself a "criminal element man-type".
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Since both Dylan and Rebecca can experience each other's senses, this doubles as their love scene in the movie.
- Domestic Abuser: Rebecca's husband, Philip, an emotionally abusive jerk who corrects her constantly, forces her to change clothes, reads her the riot act for having a breakdown, throws out anything that connects her to her past and, in the end, has her medicated and committed to a mental institution when he believes she is cheating on him.
- Long Distance Relationship - An unusual play on the concept, since Rebecca and Dylan have never met at all when they meet each other several hundred miles apart.
- Smug Snake: Philip, who is far too sure of himself and his brilliance.
- Those Two Bad Guys: Dylan's friends and criminal confederates, Bo and Lyle. Bo's the dunce, Lyle's the smart one.