(original title 花火, released in the US as Fireworks
) is a Japanese film directed by Takeshi Kitano
and released in 1997.
Nishi, a police detective with a violent temper, has quit his job after an incident that left his partner permanently wheelchair-bound. Upon learning that his wife has leukemia, he decides to help her spend what time she has left enjoying the simple pleasures of life.
Contains examples of:
- Badass: Nishi.
- Bank Robbery: Nishi pulls it off on his own, without firing a shot nor saying a word.
- Cool Shades: Nishi wears them all the time.
- Eye Scream: Nishi does this to one of the Yakuza thugs that has come to collect the interest he owes them. With a pair of chopsticks. Both in the same eye.
- Gory Discretion Shot: Instead of showing the violent scenes themselves, the film abruptly cuts to the immediate aftermath.
- Ill Girl: Or rather ill woman — Nishi's wife.
- Literal Ass Kicking
- Twitchy Eye: Nishi's outbursts of violence are foreshadowed by his telltale eye twitch.
- The Voiceless: Nishi hardly ever speaks. He prefers to stare wordlessly and intimidate his interlocutors. And if intimidation doesn't work, that's where violence comes in.