Fan Fic: Under A Luminous Sky
Under A Luminous Sky
is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Fan Fiction
by Jake the Army Guy
and can be found here
Ponyville, the humble village known for its peaceful tranquility, is shaken to its core when a body is discovered in the Everfree Forest. As the townsponies grieve, the strange, pale Special Agent Bentgrass, from Their Majesties' Royal Investigative Service, arrives at the Books and Branches library and drags Twilight into a world she's only read about: lies, corruption, suspicion, and murder. Faced with an indifferent police force, and Agent Bentgrass's infuriating methods, Twilight must put the pieces together and catch the killer. But as blood continues to spill and questions pile up, one thing is terrifyingly clear: in the dark of the Everfree, much more is at play than mere murder.
Tropes present in this work:
- Aloof Ally: Though Bentgrass and Twilight are working towards the same ends, he remains unemotional and detached (though generally polite) in all but a very few circumstances, and will harshly question anyone he believes has pertinent information, even if he was civil to them a moment before.
- Baleful Polymorph: Undergone by Angel Bunny and Big Macintosh, in an exceptionally unpleasant process. The Power of Love transforms Big Mac back; poor Angel recovers his mind, but is stuck in the body of a monster for what might be the rest of his life.
- Blackmail: One of Sheriff Shackle's tactics to cover things up is to blackmail Doctor Well to withhold evidence.
- FBI Agent: Special Agent Bentgrass works for the Royal Investigative Service, essentially Equestria's IRS... or, more specifically, its semi-secret Division Six, an "unexplained phenomenon" investigative office.
- Mind Rape: Parchment's tactic for using poor Zecora as a scapegoat for his murders. Even with him dead, her prognosis is... not optimistic.
- Mistaken for Gay: It's mentioned that Rainbow Dash had to fight rumors of her sexuality for a long time. So, of course, when she has to distract a mare that's actually gay...
- Police Are Useless: Sheriff Shackle cares only that he get to his retirement without any undue difficulty. Ritualistic murders in a land of nigh-pacifistic ponies? He'd much rather cover them up- going so far as to blackmail the town coroner- than actually investigate them.