Fan Fic: The Circles
The Circles, by Angmar and Elfhild, is a sequence of fan novels that diverge from The Lord of the Rings when Sauron conquers Minas Tirith and takes back the One Ring. As of 2015, it contains five novels:
- The Triumph of the Shadow
- Journey of Sorrow
- To Escape a Dark Destiny
- Paths Both East and West
- Through the Valley of Death (in progress)
The Circles provides examples of:
- Alternate Universe Fic: This sequence is a Divergence Fic where Sauron won the Battle of Pelennor Fields. In The Lord of the Rings, Sauron lost the battle.
- Complexity Addiction: The Witch-king suffers from this ailment at times.
- Conveniently an Orphan: Considering that the series starts out with a war, there are many characters who have lost at least one parent.
- Distant Prologue: The prologue to the first novel, The Triumph of the Shadow, happens in Númenor during the Second Age, but the first chapter is thousands of years later in the Third Age.
- Elsewhere Fic: Both Types One and Two. Much of The Circles takes place in areas that Tolkien never explored. Occasionally a canon character will make a cameo appearance, but the main focus is upon the original characters.
- Evil Overlord: Sauron wants to rule all of Middle-earth.
- Impeded Messenger: A major story arc revolves around a letter which was accidentally delivered to the wrong person.
- Polar Opposite Twins: Elfhild is idealistic and outgoing, while Elffled is quiet and cynical.
- Self-Insert Fic: Inverted. Some fanfiction authors name characters after themselves, but the authors of "The Circles" take their pen names from two major characters in the story, Elfhild, a woman from Rohan, and the Witch-king of Angmar.