Shards come together to form a whole, cats come together to form a Clan, lives come together to form a story.Shattered
by Prin Pardus
, is the second longest Warrior Cats
fanfic on Fanfiction Dot Net
(passed up by the story's sequel, Chilled
). Based on a roleplay the author participated, it tells the story of many cats caught in a long-running war which has destroyed the lives of many cats. You can read it here.
Long ago, a band of cats ruled a mountain range. They lived without laws until three Clans, BirchClan, ShellClan, and MarshClan arrived in a nearby forest and taught them the ways of the Warrior Code. This lead to the mountain cats becoming FrozenClan, and the four Clans lived in peace. However, the peace did not last, as Frozenstar, the leader of FrozenClan started a war in a mad quest to destroy the forest Clans. Eventually he died and was replaced by his son Northstar, who succeeded where his father had failed, and destroyed the Clans.
The story tells the tale of Silverstreak
, the daughter of BirchClan's last leader Fadedstar. After BirchClan's fall, Silverstreak sets out on a mission to rebuild BirchClan alongside her friends Frostfeather and Ravenwing. Together they must find the survivors of the war and bring them to a new home where they can reclaim the Warrior Code.
Meanwhile, Silverstreak's nemesis Northstar is betrayed and exiled by his deputy Crowtalon, who turns FrozenClan into the barbaric TalonClan. Northstar sets out on his own journey and eventually finds himself in PeakClan, an arrogant Clan with no respect for the Warrior Code. Northstar at first seeks power, but soon comes into conflict over whether he truly is a wicked cat at the core.
However, time is running out for the heroes, as TalonClan is hunting Silverstreak and Northstar, leaving a trail of destruction in their path.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- A Day in the Limelight: The author gives quite a few secondary characters a single point of view chapter to show what they're up to. These characters are: Crowtalon/Slaughter, Buck, Eaglestrike, Death, Blackmoon, Toxin, Snake, Rumble, Forest, Rabbitpaw, and Chill.
- A Death in the Limelight: The character Snake is killed off at the end of their point of view chapter.
- Alpha Bitch: Dapplefern, who is a snooty jerkass to the cats of PeakClan throughout the story.
- Break the Cutie: Plenty, but Belladonna/Nightshade is probably the best example.
- Dead Guy Junior: A few examples.
- One of Frostfeather's kits is named after the deceased Robin. In a twist, Buck didn't know that Robin was dead and just named the kit randomly.
- When Reedrush is deciding what to name her female kit, Jag blurts out "Myrtle", the name of his deceased mate.
- Northstar mocks the practice. When the characters are trying to decide what to name the kits of Lightstar's deceased mate Graywing, they suggest asking Lightstar for names. Northstar argues against it, as he claims that Lightstar would simply name both kits, "Graywingkit" and be done with it. However, he subverts this by naming Rosedapple's kits after his mentor, Brackenheart, and his crush when he was an apprentice, Birdpaw.
- Disc One Final Boss:
- Northstar is set up as the Big Bad in the prologue, only to be betrayed and driven out by his deputy Crowtalon in the first chapter.
- Lightstar, leader of PeakClan is set up as a major villain, only to go insane and fall off a cliff.
- Crowtalon/Slaughter is set up as the Big Bad, but is then killed by Lion, who takes over TalonClan.
- Easter Egg: The point of views in the epilogue are in the order of when the characters first got their point of view.
- Everyone Is Related: Okay not everyone, but The Reveal means that they might as well be.
- Evil Uncle: Northstar is Silverstreak's uncle. However, by the time this is revealed, Northstar is one of the good guys.
- Eye Scream: Blight loses an eye in a fight with a traitorous underling.
- La Résistance: Silverstreak's group is basically this, as it's made up of fragments of the forest Clans, along with other stragglers, trying to create a home and eventually beat TalonClan. It eventually evolves into The Alliance when they ally with PeakClan, as well as two bosses in the city, Cane and Amber. The few rebels in TalonClan could also count, although they leave when Lion takes over.
- Large Ham: Death.
- Love Dodecahedron: Parodied when Northstar tries to figure out how all the PeakClan apprentice crushes fit together, only to give up after realizing that "apprentice love-triangles are too confusing".
- Mind Rape: Blight does this to Belladonna. This is accomplished by capturing her, then abusing her until she broke herself.
- Mind Screw: Near the end of the fic, Lion starts losing the ability to tell dreams from reality. This leads to a nightmarish Dream Sequence being formatted as if it was happening for real.
- Pride: Most of PeakClan. They even have an elevated camp so that they can be as "high as the stars".
- Rescue Romance: Several.
- Silverstreak and Forest get together after Silverstreak saves him from his wounds.
- Northstar and Rosedapple could also count.
- Frostfeather was only interested in Death after he saved her daughter.
- Blight made his relationship with Belladonna/Nightshade seem like this to her.
- Sacrificial Lion: Subverted with Lion. As a random character who comes out of nowhere to try to kill the Big Bad for revenge, it looks like he would end up as this. Then he actually kills the Big Bad, only to take his position.
- Smug Snake: Slaughter
- The Unpronounceable: Death claims that he only calls himself Death because his true name is this.