Creator: Janus Syndicate
The Janus Syndicate is one of the unsung groups of geniuses in the world of Machinima, ya faggot!They were founded in 2005 out of the GoldenEye: Source mod by regular player boris and PR manager/trailer producer Xanatos, and immediately built up a core group of friends making videos for a living for the next 5 years.Their most notable works include Gman Squad, Counter-Strike for Kids, Soldiers Of Misfortune, and Source Wars, all Affectionate Parodies.
Tropes that are associated with the group:
- Art Evolution: Over time, Xanatos has improved the quality and fidelity of their videos. A notable shift took place when he was invited to the Machinima.com director's program around 2008.
- Comical Overreacting: This is a frequent occurrence both in and out of the videos.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Only really works with people who are machinima fans, but this is pretty much the only way one can identify individual members when I Am Not Spock among Inexplicably Identical Individuals.
- Large Ham: Crackbone, and arguably boris.
- Promoted Fanboy: There have been some instances in Janus' later years in which extras were called upon from the fanbase, including the Gman Squad Initiation Contest.
- Rapid-Fire Comedy: Even with the early productions being mostly improv, this is prevalent.
- Shout-Out: Under construction.
- Suspiciously Apropos Music: Xanatos is a fan of groups from The Beatles to Rammstein, and frequently used such songs in his videos before being recruited by Machinima.com.
- X Meets Y: Many of the series and videos are of this type to some extent.
- The award-winning Half-Life 2: Anxiety/Nightmare are billed as "Hitchcock meets Half-Life".
- Gman Squad is a Sketch Comedy initially billed as Reservoir Dogs meets an In-Joke about the barely-played Half-Life Deathmatch: Source, but is ultimately just Tim & Eric with Inexplicably Identical Individuals.
- Counter-Strike for Kids. What else is there to say?