- "The Ugly Chickens", in which a researcher discovers that the dodo survived the extinction of the native population in the form of a flock owned by a farmer in the American backwoods. Won the Nebula Award and the World Fantasy Award.
- "Night of the Cooters", in which one of the alien war machines from H. G. Wells's The War of the Worlds goes off-course and lands in Texas instead of England.
- "Ike at the Mike", in which Elvis Presley is a senator and Dwight D. Eisenhower a famous musician.
- "Man Mountain Gentian", the tale of the world's greatest zen sumo wrestler.
Howard Waldrop's works include examples of:
- The Catfish: "God's Hooks!"
- Dumb Dodo Bird: "The Ugly Chickens"
- Richard Nixon the Used Car Salesman: "Ike at the Mike"
- Viewers Are Geniuses
- Zeppelins from Another World: "Custer's Last Jump"