Comic Book: Guardians
Guardians is a furry comic created by Lauren Makena and Shai Ashlin. It is currently a work in progress, and the authors intend to publish it.Warning, spoilers below.
Tropes in Guardians:
- Animal Motifs: For some characters, though not all. The gorilla guards, for example, are stereotypically dumb and brutish.
- All There in the Manual: Only fifty pages have been released so far, but copious concept art and author's notes reveal that Akeli and Kotu bear the elements of water and light respectively, the overarching plot, and many characters unseen so far.
- Break the Cutie: According to Word of God; "[Tao's] all bold now but he grows up to be pretty emo."
- Elemental Powers: Commonplace. They apparently emerge as an animal grows older.
- Evil Overlord: Voltaire, ruler of Syrullia.
- Extra Ore Dinary: Particularly talented earthshapers can do this, if they have the right training. Thracus warns Drev to take off his armor before fighting Jaireth for this reason.
- Fantastic Racism:
- Defector from Decadence: Jaireth abandoned Syrullia when Voltaire ordered him to murder an entire village...and then, when Jaireth refused, killed his son in retaliation.
- Scenery Porn:
- The Empire: Syrullia.
- Gilded Cage: Akeli is in one. She's in an Arranged Marriage to Syrullia's heir, and covered with jewels in her introduction, but The Dragon and his mooks think nothing of hurting her if she disobeys their orders. (Page 29 shows that they've put a leash and collar on her.)