Characters: Vampire Knight
The characters of manga and anime series Vampire Knight
open/close all folders
Yuuki Cross / Yuuki Kuran
That incident ten years ago... was my "beginning."
The main heroine. Yuuki is the adoptive daughter of Headmaster Cross and works with her childhood friend Zero as a Prefect, monitoring the Day Class and Night Class. She was saved from a vampire attack ten years ago by Kaname, who she has been in love with ever since.
I will never allow that to happen... even if it makes Kuran my enemy... and even if you hate me for it.
Yuuki's childhood friend and a fellow Prefect. Zero is often aloof and unfriendly. He has a hatred for vampires ever since his family was murdered by a pureblood vampire five years ago. Zero was bitten by this vampire, Shizuka Hio, which is slowly causing him to grow into one and he will inevitably become a Level E vampire. He has feelings for Yuuki.
- Always Save the Girl
- Anchored Ship: With Yuuki; see her example.
- Animal Motifs: The Dog.
- Angsty Surviving Twin: Zero's identical twin died during their childhood (his twin was actually alive for all the years Zero thought he was dead, a part of Zero's Dark and Troubled Past.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: Towards Yuuki in Chapter 46. While Yuuki acknowledges his feelings, it's an anguished love confession because he confesses that he only wants Yuuki's blood right after Yuuki admits she only desires Kaname's blood.
- Asleep for Days: He slept for a week after Yuuki erased his memories in chapter 88/89.
- Bad Dreams
- Betty: To Kaname's Veronica.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: The brooding boy to gentle Yuuki.
- Character Development: Grows out of his vampire hatred over time.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Dating Catwoman: In spite of being enemies, Yuuki and he still love each other.
- Deadpan Snarker: Occasionally.
- Defrosting Ice King: Twice even.
- Did Not Get the Girl: In the first arc, that is.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Type 2.
- Earn Your Happy Ending:
- Et Tu, Yuuki?: How he felt when learns she is a Pureblood vampire all along.
- Expy: From Dante. Both despised the other species that they become hunters in hunting them down, skilled with both a gun and sword, white-haired, have an evil twin brother (Vergil and Ichiru), and getting betrayed by the female lead (Trish and Yuuki) that they vowed to kill them the next time they crossed paths with the respective female. It kinda makes sense.
- Forced to Watch
- Gender Equals Breed: His son with Yuuki at the end distinctly resembles him.
- Good Is Not Nice
- The Gunslinger
- Green-Eyed Monster: Towards Kaname concerning Yuuki.
- Grumpy Bear
- Happiness in Slavery: Of the second kind.
- Hunter of His Own Kind
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: Despite outward appearances, he remains a kind-hearted character no matter how much he's put through (as Yuuki even calls him out on at one point), and is considered unique in his nigh immunity to pureblood's charisma and control, which is hinted to be one of the reasons Kaname (and nearly all other purebloods we've seen) are so intrigued by, and interested in using him.
- Interclass Romance / Interspecies Romance: With Yuuki in the second arc; see her example.
- Interrupted Suicide: He attempts to after the day after drinking Yuuki's blood for the first time. Yuuki prevents it.
- I Owe You My Life: To Yuuki for keeping him alive through drinking her blood. That's why he wouldn't mind if Yuuki used him.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: He genuinely wants Yuuki to be with a person who makes her happy—even if it is Kaname. This doesn't stop his Unresolved Sexual Tension and Foe Yay with her, though.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Just Friends/Like Brother and Sister: This is what Yuuki thinks about Zero at first.
- Knight in Sour Armor
- Likes Older Women: According to his bio in the fanbook, his taste in woman are "cool older women" and "flat-chested women are out of the question." Of course, everyone can see he has his eyes set on a certain flat-chested girl...
- Loners Are Freaks
- Love Martyr: Is in love with a girl who is in love with a man he hates, and who treats him bad behind her back. Taken even further when it's revealed that Kaname was the one arranging his parents' murder, something Yuuki barely appears to takes notice of.
- Master Character Heroes: Arguably, he fills the role of Poseidon: The Artist because of how he's been despising himself all these years because of his vampire side and his reaction to Yuuki discovering him as a vampire, how his character can often be unpredictable, and his fear of ever harming Yuuki.
- Meaningful Name: Zero's first name has the kanji for rei, which means "zero" in Japanese. His last name Kiryuu translates to "auger"/"drill" (ki) and "life" (ryuu).
- Mr. Fanservice
- My Hero Zero
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: Is treated like the story's, or more spesifically, the love triangle's Butt Monkey for a fair amount of the time despite being the most kindhearted character (stated by the author herself), always remaining loyal and protective of Yuuki (as mentioned below; even after alienating himself from her) and making her happier than Kaname which is even highlighted by the latter towards the end. To add to it, when he finally gets his happy ending, it's entirely skipped in favor for showing Yuuki returning to Kaname's tomb after his (Zero's) off-screen death, to sacrifice herself in order to give Kaname a happy ending as well.
- With the release of a bonus chapter however, he's given more of a closure as it confirms their happy ending together next to the stated knowledge that Yuuki loves him, in the deepest sense of the word.
- Not Blood Siblings: Zero and Yuuki, who were both raised by Kaien for some of their childhood. Lampshaded in Volume 2 and Volume 6, where Yuuki says she considers Zero like a "brother," mainly because of their status as childhood friends.
- Parental Abandonment: His parents were murdered by Shizuka Hio.
- Perpetual Frowner
- Polar Opposite Twins: With Ichiru.
- Purple Eyes
- Rage Against the Reflection: He broke the mirror he was looking into when realizing his wound was healing much too fast for a human, meaning he'd become a vampire.
- Really 700 Years Old: He still looks young when it skips 50 years, and considering his condition's similarity to Kaien, he likely remained young looking for at least a couple of centuries and more.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Zero gives out to Yuuki when he found out she's a Pureblood vampire all along.
Zero: Coming here to talk? You don't really think that would make a difference, do you? Discussing things like turning humans into vampires. But of course you transformed from a vampire into a human. On the other side of this door, I sense an arrogant Pureblood who does nothing but torment people.
- Red Oni
- Replacement Goldfish: Maria's interest in Zero is hinted to stem from the fact that Ichiru is inside of him.
- Romance Genre Heroes: A split between The Bad Boy and The Warrior.
- Sanity Slippage: In the first arc, he suffers from this as he's slowly turning into a level E, something drinking Yuuki's blood only temporarily postpones. After indirectly recieving Shizuka's blood through Kaname and Ichiru however, he becomes safe.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Ichiru.
- Single-Minded Twins: Kaien spazzes out when he notices that the twins entered the room with the same pose in a omake. In Chapter 73, when he lightly scolded Maria and carried her back to the Moon Dormitory, Maria noticed that Ichiru said and did the same thing to her when they first met.
- Sour Supporter
- Starcrossed Lovers: With Yuuki. Averted at the end.
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- The Stoic
- Teen Genius: According to his bio in the official fanbook. But because he's always late to class, he attends supplementary classes.
- The Hero Dies: Off-screen from implied old age at the end of the story.
- Theme Twin Naming
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Gets to live with Yuuki happily for a thousand years at the end of the story.
- Troubled Backstory Flashback
- Troubled, but Cute: A good-looking young man with a troubled past.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Used to be.
- Undying Loyalty: Towards Yuuki. Even after alienating himself from her, he still ends up protecting her on several occasions such as from Touma and angered hunters, and offers his own blood to her when witnessing her hunger while she's at the Hunter Association. In the finale, he also attempts to talk Kaname out of sacrificing himself to prevent Yuuki from grieving.
- Well, he is a "Dog", tee hee.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Yuuki.
- Vampire Hunter
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Zero's risk of becoming a Level E. Kaname's and Ichiru's blood seem to have ceased this because both of them had drunk Shizuka's blood.
- Workaholic: As a Vampire Hunter. Especially after the timeskip because it is the only thing to keep him sane without depending on Yuuki's blood.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: Both purebloods in-universe and Matsuri herself seems to love screwing with him, for who knows what reason.
Sayori "Yori" Wakaba
Yuuki... I feel like you're hiding something from me... I know you have "something" you can't tell me. And I know you're doing that to make me not worry about you. I'm lonely... Yuuki...
The best friend of Yuuki.
- Anger Born of Worry: When Yuuki apologizes to Yori for being a vampire, Yori calls her an idiot and hugs her. D'aww.
- Arranged Marriage: Has a fiance she has never met before and doesn't even know his name.
- Bi the Way: In her profile of the official fanbook, when asked what her "type" would be, she says, "Someone I get when I add Yuuki and Zero, then divide by two." Riiight.
- Celibate Heroine: Probably because she already has an arranged fiance.
- Closer to Earth
- Curtains Match the Window
- Emotionless Girl: Appears this way because of her lack of expression, but she's really just Closer to Earth.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend:
Kaito: I didn't ask that earlier because we were in front of the association, but... are you Zero's girlfriend?
Yori: No, a close friend of a childhood friend of his.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Yuuki.... then again....
- Little Miss Snarker: Can be quite snarky when she wants to be.
- Master Support Characters: Supplies the role as The Best Friend to Yuuki and later to Zero after the timeskip.
- Meaningful Name: Sayori means "sand" (sa) and "trust" (yori). Wakaba means "young leaves."
- Only Known by Their Nickname: She is rarely called by her first name, Sayori.
- Pair the Spares: Is paired with Aidou in a post-ending bonus chapter.
- Plucky Girl: Sneaking into a vampire ball—fully aware of how dangerous that could be for a human girl — is either very brave or very stupid.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: With Yuuki.
- Sacrificial Lamb: Kaito planned to use her as a "sacrificial lamb" at a vampire ball in order for a vampire to bite Yori, as this would allow the hunters a reason to kill the purebloods. Luckily, she was left unscathed.
- Secret Keeper: Is one of the few Day Class students who were allowed to keep their memories of the vampire battle at Cross Academy.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Would prefer someone from the Day Class rather than the Night Class.
- Unfazed Everyman
Voiced by: Takahiro Matsukawa (Japanese)
The Class President of Yuuki's class. He harbors unrequited feelings for Ruka.
Voiced by: Taya Fujimori (Japanese), Carrie Savage (English)
A Day Class student who develops a big crush on Zero after he rescues her.
Kaname Kuran / The Ancestor of the Kurans
Kaname is the president of the Night Class, a pureblood vampire, and the object of Yuuki's affections. He rescued Yuuki ten years ago from a vampire attack. While formal and polite, Kaname can also be enigmatic and distant. Two mysteries that surround Kaname are the death of his parents and his connection towards Yuuki's memories.
- Alliterative Name
- Always Save the Girl
- Animal Motifs: Bats.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: Does this to Aidou three times.
- Big Bad: In the end, while he's not entirely evil, his increasingly villainous actions and mindset turn him into the main antagonist of the series, to the point where the series actually ends with him as the Final Boss.
- Brother-Sister Incest: Yuuki is actually his sister and the daughter of Haruka and Juuri. In spite of this, they still remain a couple because it is common for purebloods to interbreed. Though, it's revealed that, with him really the ancestor of the Kurans, they are still technically related.
- Byronic Hero
- Childhood Marriage Promise: With Yuuki.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Death Equals Redemption
- Death of the Hypotenuse
- Disney Death: Gives his life to become the furnace, yet is resurrected at the end by Yuuki turning him human.
- Easily Forgiven
- Even the Guys Want Him: He has this "problem". He already has Yuuki, Ruka, Sara, and countless screaming Day Class girls who want him. Not to mention all those nobles practically shoving their daughters at him a vampire soiree. But on top of all this, he has a very one-sided bromance with Aidou, and if you look closely there's a guy in line to give him chocolates in the St. Xocolatl's Day chapter. And then there's Ichijou's loyalty and concern for Kaname brought to new and interesting heights as of the latest chapter if his conversation with Yuuki is anything to go by.
- Genius Book Club
- Green-Eyed Monster: Towards Zero concerning Yuuki.
- Hero Antagonist
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Ichijou.
- Hidden Depths
- Human Popsicle: He's preserved in an ice coffin by Aidou after giving his heart to the hunter's furnace.
- I Let Gwen Stacy Die: The unnamed woman from his past as the Ancestor of the Kurans.
- Immortality Begins at Twenty
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Finally eases Yuuki of her guilt and obligations at the end and tells her to be with Zero.
- Karma Houdini: To a degree. Although he admits to have committed many sins and gives his life at the end to become the hunter's furnace, he equally confesses to not have any regrets, offers no apology to Zero for causing his family tragedy and subsequently treating him bad, and ultimately gets a happy ending by Yuuki turning him human a thousand years later. However, since he's forced to live the rest of his life without Yuuki, he certainly isn't gonna have that much of a happy ending.
- Knight Templar Big Brother
- Lonely at the Top
- Master Character Heroes: Zeus: The King.
- Meaningful Name: Kaname means "pivot"/"center." Kuran means "nine orchids" because ku means "nine" and ran means orchids.
- Fun fact: the kanji for Kaname is very similar to that of "hitsugi" (coffin), and even the mangaka herself mixed up the two in some typos.
- Mr. Fanservice
- Murder the Hypotenuse: He would really love to do this, but...
- He settles with torture the hypotenuse.
- My Master, Right or Wrong: He is unable to murder Rido—no matter how much he would want to—because Rido was the one who resurrected Kaname (as the ancestor of the Kurans) from his grave. Not that he wouldn't want to though.
- Mysterious Past
- Not Blood Siblings: With Yuuki as it turns out that he's not her biological brother, but the Ancestor of the Kurans. He was still raised as her older brother, though.
- Not So Different: To Rido, pointed out by himself.
- Off Screen Teleportation
- Parental Abandonment: It is claimed that Kaname's parents—Haruka and Juuri Kuran—committed suicide. However, Kaname reveals that they were murdered instead.
- Perpetual Frowner
- Really 700 Years Old
- Relationship Upgrade: With Yuuki.
- The Rival
- The Chessmaster
- The Omniscient: could be form 1 or 2.
- Romance Genre Heroes: He is The Lost Soul. Though, a split with the former The Warrior is also arguable.
- Smart People Play Chess
- Stalking Is Love
- The Stoic
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Terrible Artist: Him and Yuuki both.
- Tranquil Fury
- Troubled Backstory Flashback
- Troubled, but Cute
- Ungrateful Bastard: His behaviour in chapter 90 falls into this. Yuuki had just slept with him, yet his actions when an amnesiac Zero arrives is to act jealously, taunting him for no reason and biting Yuuki violently in front of him and Takuma. It gets to the point Yuuki slaps him, then hugging and asking him to stop it because she can't ever go back to Zero again.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid
- Veronica: To Zero's Betty.
- Victorious Childhood Friend: Used to be.
- Wife Husbandry: With Yuuki.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: In the second arc, he reveals to have been the one to manipulate Shizuka into attacking Zero's family, in order to make Zero into a "weapon" for him. He also goes on a genocide mission that consists of wiping out all purebloods, ending with him intending to use his own heart as furnace for the vampire hunters' metal. All this is apparently because of "the hooded woman's wish" and/or to create a safe environment for Yuuki.
- Wise Beyond Their Years
- Wrong Guy First
... Grandfather... Let us put an end to the Ichijou line.
Kaname's best friend and the Night Class's vice president. He is very friendly and outgoing, and can usually be found with a smile on his face. Ichijou's grandfather is a member of the Vampire Council. He is good friends with Shiki and Rima.
... And my heart decided. I would become someone who could really protect him.
Nicknamed "Idol" by the Day Class girls, Aidou is Kaname's "right-hand man" alongside his cousin Kain. He displays a fun-loving and playful personality around the Day Class girls, and he fiercely idolizes Kaname. He is jealous of the attention Yuuki recieves from Kaname.
- A Day in the Limelight: In Vampire Knight: Ice Blue no Tsumi.
- Always Someone Better: Initially hated Kaname when they were children, as Kaname was more well-liked because of his pureblood status, but he gradually grows to admire Kaname as time grew on.
- An Ice Person
- Becoming the Mask: He—along with Kain, Ruka, and Ichijou—was purposely supposed to befriend Fuuka in order to keep an eye on her as she takes the experimental pills to see if it will help her slow down the vampire process of an eventual Level E, but as time grew on, Aidou began growing emotionally supportive and sympathetic towards Fuuka and genuinely wanted to save her.
- Berserk Button: You do not want to come between him and his Kaname-sama.
- Big Eater
- Blond Guys Are Evil: Not evil. Just very... territorial when it comes to Kaname.
- Brutal Honesty
- Butt Monkey: From time to time, but recently increasing in the current chapters by unfortunately getting captured by Zero and the Hunters Association.
- The Caretaker: Of Fuuka.
- Child Prodigy/Teen Genius
- Clingy Jealous Boy
- Conflicting Loyalty: His admiration towards Kaname versus his duty as a vampire after he witnesses Kaname murdering Shizuka. Also, his growing attachment towards Fuuka versus his duty to have kept her emotionally distant and think her as just an experimental subject.
- Cool Teacher/Hot Teacher: Becomes Yuuki's personal tutor and personal bodyguard following the timeskip.
- Cynicism Catalyst/Failure Knight: Initially, Fuuka—a Day Class student who had been turned into an ex-human vampire—was just a test subject and experiment to him for the (at the time) experimental pills that could slow the vampire process from a Level E. He disliked her because she had a crush on Kaname, but as time grew on, he sympathized with Fuuka and wanted to save her from her eventual fate. After Fuuka took the pills, she was beginning to show signs of recovery, but her body soon developed an immunity against it. Fuuka asks him to kill her so she won't turn into a Level E vampire, and in spite of his protests, he reluctantly abides and kills Fuuka.
- Declaration of Protection: A male example with him obviously wanting to protect Kaname. Played straight with Fuuka, but he wasn't able to save her.
- The Dulcinea Effect: Arguably towards Fuuka, though subverted as it took him a while to have her presence grow on him.
- Fanboy: For Kaname.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Extremely jealous towards the attention Yuuki recieves from Kaname. He kind of gets over it when he finds out Yuuki is a pureblood and Kaname's "sister."
- His Heart Will Go On: After Fuuka's death.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Kain.
- Hidden Depths: There's more to him than just being a Kaname fanboy.
- I Let Gwen Stacy Die: Fuuka.
- In-Series Nickname: "Idol".
- Interspecies Romance: Aido (vampire) and Yori (human). He even states that he repeatedly asked her to become a vampire, and when she refused, he worked on Kaname's notes to turn vampires to humans so he could live the rest of his life with her. He fails to find it in time.
- Lady Killer In Love: The extra chapter in the final volume strongly implies that Aidou is in love with Yori. Considering his flirtatious attitiude towards girls at the start of the series, Aidou is considered this.
- Last Name Basis: Usually called by his last name.
- Meaningful Name: Hanabusa means "petals of a flower" and Aidou means "indigo temple." The pronunciation of Aidou is very close to the pronunciation of the English word "Idol" in Japanese, which is where the Day Class girls derived Aidou's nickname from.
- Mercy Kill: Reluctantly kills Fuuka when she doesn't want to become a Level E.
- Number Two: He and his cousin Kain share the role towards Kaname.
- Pet the Dog: He gradually grows to sympathize with Yuuki following The Reveal. After the timeskip, he reassures Yuuki he won't tell Kaname that she is writing a letter to someone (presumably Yori), offers blood tablets for her when she had to resort to biting herself to get blood, accompanies her on her mission to confront pureblood vampires, and stands beside her when she decides to reopen the Night Class, in spite of the fact that Kaname murdered his father prior to this.
- Ship Tease: With Yuuki, Yori, and Fuuka.
- Staking the Loved One: To Fuuka.
- Undying Loyalty: Towards Kaname.
... If in the future you end up causing her unhappiness... then I will not forgive you.
Nicknamed "Wild" by the Day Class girls, Kain is Kaname's "right-hand man" alongside his cousin Aidou. He is often laidback and reserved. Kain sympathizes with his childhood friend Ruka, who he has feelings for.
Because I've been a fool who only cares about my own feelings... always... until I was faced with the truth...
A beautiful student of the Night Class who has unrequited feelings for Kaname.
That's all right, because a puppet, is now able to move by its own conscious.
A young model in the Night Class who is often in the company of Rima. Quiet and introverted, Shiki initially doesn't think too much of himself. Shiki's mother is a former actress who he must take care of because she's fairly helpless on her own. He is good friends with Ichijou.
Shiki! You should love yourself more!
A young model in the Night Class who is often in the company of Shiki. If separated from him, Rima is often found worrying about Shiki. She is good friends with Ichijou.
Voiced by: Risa Mizuno (Japanese), Colleen O'Shaughnessy (English)
Kaname's unoffical bodyguard.
- Emotionless Girl
- Meaningful Name: Seiren translates to "star" (sei) and "to smelt" or "refine" (ren). Also, ren is of the same kanji as rengoku, which means "purgatory."
The headmaster of Cross Academy. Kaien is Yuuki's adoptive father and took in Zero following the death of his parents. He strongly believes that humans and vampires can co-exist.
The Number One hunter at the Hunter's Association and Zero's former teacher. He comes to Cross Academy as a teacher.
I'm so happy, I thought I was dead inside Zero's heart...
Zero's twin brother. Ichiru and Zero were once very close as children until Ichiru overheard their parents favoring Zero over him. He willingly went with Shizuka following her attack on the Kiryuu family and became her faithful servant.
And now we have a little lamb... joining the party.
A fellow hunter and an old friend of Zero's who returns to Cross Academy as a teacher-in-training.
- Batman Gambit: He used Yori as bait for the purebloods during a vampire ball to test Zero's reactions.
- Canon Immigrant: Kaito originally appeared in the light novel based on the series, written by Ayuna Fujisaki. When Hino Matsuri wanted to add another Vampire Hunter character into her story, she liked Kaito so much that she asked Fujisaki for permission use him.
- The Chessmaster
- Guile Hero
- Hot Teacher
- I'll Kill You: His warning to Zero.
Zero: When you first showed up at the academy, I initially thought you had come to kill me... the way you killed your own older brother.
Kaito: Oh, believe me, Zero. If you get violent and I think you might harm me... I'll definitely kill you...
- Old Friend: Of Zero's. He briefly trained under Yagari alongside Zero and Ichiru.
- Staking the Loved One: Killed his brother after he was turned into a vampire.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Was willing to endanger Yori to test Zero's capability of a future association president.
- Vampire Hunter
... I believe in you, Aidou-senpai.
Fuuka and Aidou.
A Day Class student with a crush on Kaname. After attempting to sneak in the Moon Dormitory, the Night Class students — Aidou, Kain, Ruka, and Ichijou in particular — take an interest in Fuuka and let her visit the dorm at night. As these visits progress, a mystery surrounding Fuuka begins to unveil itself. She is introduced in the VK light novel Vampire Knight: Ice Blue no Tsumi
- A Death in the Limelight
- Anguished Declaration of Love/Dying Declaration of Love:
Fuuka: What would you think if I were to say... I love you?
Aidou: You're too honest... I'm sorry...
Fuuka: Never mind. I... I... I love you, sempai. And that's why I'm happy... to die in your arms...
- Because You Were Nice to Me: She feels this way towards Aidou because of how he was her only ally—having rescued her so several times and was the only person who was honest with her. So, naturally, this is why she asks Aidou to be the one who kills her.
- Break the Cutie
- Broken Masquerade
- Death by Origin Story
- Death Seeker: Asks Aidou to kill her, so she will not turn into a Level E vampire.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight
- Distressed Damsel
- Doomed by Canon: Vampire Knight: Ice Blue no Tsumi takes place around a year or so before the main story takes place, so I wonder why this new character Fuuka hasn't shown up yet. ... Oh, that's why.
- Exact Eavesdropping: Just when she visits the Moon Dormitory to ask what kind of chocolates Aidou likes for St. Xocolatl's Day to give him "thank you" chocolates for rescuing her, she overhears Aidou, Kain, Ruka, and Ichijou discussing the exterimental pill's effect on her, and they reveal that she is an ex-human vampire and the pills were an attempt to slow down the vampire process.
- Dying as Yourself: Would rather die by Aidou's hand as herself than be hunted down as a Level E vampire.
- Fangirl: For Kaname.
- Genki Girl
- Go Out with a Smile
- The Gwen Stacy
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With her best friend Kanae.
- Hopeless Suitor: For Kaname.
- I Am a Monster: When she discovers she is an ex-human vampire.
- Ill Girl: Throughout the light novel, Fuuka has not been feeling well and seems to be suffering from anemia. This is actually the effects of her eventual descent to a Level E vampire.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl
- My God, What Have I Done?: Her reaction after she drinks Kanae's blood to the point where Kanae faints from blood loss.
- Na´ve Everygirl
- New Transfer Student: She had been transferred to Cross Academy from another high school following the summer holidays.
- Plucky Girl: Enough to sneak into the Moon Dormitory to find Kaname's room, so she'll be the first to give him chocolates for St. Xocolatl's Day.
- Posthumous Character
- Protectorate: To Aidou.
- Second Love: She has a crush on the mysterious and forlorn Kaname, but she ends up falling in love with the initially difficult but very dependable Aidou.
- Ship Tease: With Aidou.
- Tomato in the Mirror: She turns out to be an ex-human vampire.
- We Hardly Knew Ye
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: She was revealed to have been bitten by a pureblood vampire following an accident. The pureblood saved Fuuka's life and altered her memories, but as a result, she was gradually turning into a Level E vampire.
A pureblood vampire who murdered Zero's parents and turned Zero into a vampire. She is infamously known as the "Kuruizaki-hime."
Please... If Zero sees Ichiru, ask him... to tell Ichiru that I want to see him.
A young girl and a distant relative to Shizuka Hio. She transfers to Cross Academy while possessed by Shizuka.
There are few purebloods left in this world... so we must support each other.
A pureblood vampire who is good friends with Kaname.
It happened so fast that I didn't have time to hold back my power... I couldn't take the risk, because there's a life growing inside me that I had to protect at all costs...
Kaname's and Yuuki's
mother, Juuri is the wife of Haruka. Supposedly, Haruka's and Juuri's deaths were the result of suicide. It was later revealed that they were murdered by Rido instead. She is also Haruka's and Rido's sister.
How can I stay behind and let my child protect me? Don't destroy my pride of being a father, please.
Kaname's and Yuuki's
father, Haruka is the husband of Juuri. Supposedly, Haruka's and Juuri's deaths were the result of suicide. It was later revealed that they were murdered by Rido instead. He is also Rido's and Juuri's brother.
Alike... You look like Juuri. I've changed my mind. You will replace Juuri, and let me love you.
Rido is the Big Bad
. He is also Shiki's father and the older brother of Haruka and Juuri. Rido had unrequited feelings for Juuri and was resentful of Haruka's and Juuri's marriage. Rido returns to Cross Academy in order to devour Yuuki and take her power. He is also the one who ressurected the Ancestor of the Kurans — Kaname — from his grave. Thus, Kaname is unable to kill him.
The Hooded Woman
I cannot forgive the person who forgot his purpose in life and played with those weak, yet strong, lives that instinctively continued to hope. There's no way I could silently keep watching.
A woman from Kaname's ancestor
's past. She sacrificed herself to forge the first weapons for the Hunters to wield.
Introduced in the second arc.
Yuuki's daughter with Kaname and son with Zero.
A girl and boy shown in the last pages at the end of the story after a thousand years have passed
. They appear to be in their late teens look-wise, but it's unknown how much older they most likely are.