open/close all folders
Yuuki Cross / Kuran
That incident ten years ago... was my "beginning."
The main heroine. Yuuki is the adoptive daughter of Headmaster Cross and works with her childhood friend Zero as a Prefect, monitoring the Day Class and Night Class. She was saved from a vampire attack ten years ago by Kaname, who she has been in love with ever since. In actuality, she is the daughter of the two pureblood vampires, Haruka and Juuri Kuran, with Kaname being her blood brother, destined to marry one another from the start, despite being related with each other.Due to heavy circumstances, Yuuki lost some of her admiration towards her brother and comes to have second thoughts towards their relationship. Instead she comes to fall even deeper for Zero. By series end, Yuuki gives birth to Kaname's child after one last tryst with the man and she moves on with her life by marrying Zero and having his child. After Zero's death, she then sacrifices herself to bring Kaname back to life as a human, joining Zero in the afterlife and leaving Kaname in the hands of her children.
- Action Girl: She's physically active and agile, especially after she reawakens as a vampire.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Both of her love interests are this type, to varying degrees. Eventually Kaname's bad side becomes too much for her to take and she gravitates towards Zero instead.
- Anchored Ship: In the post-ending bonus chapter, she and Zero are revealed to drink each other's blood a lot, but it's ambiguous whether they're actually dating. Although, Yori as an elderly woman asking them when they intend to get married would imply that they were. Eventually they're shown to be living together, and the ending confirms they also had conceived one child between themselves. Which makes it all the more tragic when bonus chapters revealed Zero's death in Yuuki's arms.
- Animal Motifs: Butterflies. She can even grow butterfly blood wings out her back!
- Babies Ever After: She has children with both Zero and Kaname. She had a son named Ren with Zero and a daughter named Ai wih Kaname.
- Bad Dreams: Suffering from a vampire attack when she was a toddler, Yuuki is known to suffer from nightmares at times.
- Betty and Veronica: The Archie in her love triangle between Zero and Kaname.
- Big Brother Attraction: Played with. She's initially disturbed when finding out she's been in love with her own brother, but Kaname convinces her that it's normal for purebloods to intermarry. Later she finds out that he's not really her brother, but her ancestor, but seeing as he was still raised as her brother, she continues to consider him as such, though she quits calling him "big brother".
- Big Eater:Aidou (in inner monologue): Also according to them, she's "a small girl who can eat so much despite her size."
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: The gentle girl to brooding Zero.
- Brother-Sister Incest: She is actually Kaname's sister and the daughter of Haruka and Juuri. In spite of this, they still remain a couple because it is common for purebloods to interbreed. Though, it's revealed that, with Kaname really the progenitor of the Kurans, they are still technically related.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Zero.
- Childhood Marriage Promise: With Kaname. It doesn't follow through.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Yuuki has the unfortunate habit of trying to save "everything" to the best of her ability. It turns out to be her greatest weakness since she simply can't, and realizing that brings her a lot of pain.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Becomes jealous whenever the Day and Night Class girls speak with Kaname. Much later in the series, when Maria shows interest in Zero, the normally kind Yuuki gets pissed.
- Curtains Match the Window: Brown hair and brown eyes, a staple of the Kuran family.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: In addition to being very energetic, she can be pretty clumsy as well. She loses this trait as she becomes more melancholy as the story goes on.
- Dating Catwoman: In spite of being enemies, Zero and Yuki still love each other. By series end, they get together.
- Death by Despair: While the main series shows that Kaname's death devastated Yuuki, she managed to move on and raise her and Kaname's child, Ai, with Zero. Later on, after becoming a proper family and conceiving Ren, the death of Zero was too much for Yuuki to bear and she gives up her own life force to revive Kaname in order to join her true love in the afterlife.
- Distressed Damsel: A lot of the plot seems to revolve around protecting Yuuki.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Occasionally shown wearing this after the time skip as a pureblood vampire and during the first ending credits in the anime.
- Et Tu, Brute?: When he ditches her for his plan to commit genocide.
- Even the Girls Want Her: If dealing with her male Harem wasn't already hard enough, she has to deal with Les Yay from Shizuka.
- Expy: No doubt her characteristics matched Trish.
- Genki Girl: Everyone knows this to be Yuuki's main character trait. It's what draws people to her in the first place. The second half of the story really mellows her out.
- Girl Next Door: Yuuki is about as normal as one can get when compared with other characters in the story. Zero, Yori and Kaname knew her since childhood.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Towards Sara in regards to Kaname and Maria in regards to Zero.
- Heel Realization: Realizes that acting like a jerk towards Zero wasn't the smartest move to make.
- The Hero Dies: After living a thousand years with Zero, she then sacrifices herself to make the slumbering Kaname human.
- Heroic Sacrifice: At the end of the final chapter, Yuuki sacrifices herself to make the slumbering Kaname human.
- The Heroine: Between the male leads, Yuuki's the main female character of the team.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Yori.
- I Am Who?: She is really Yuuki Kuran, a pureblood vampire.
- I Can't Believe a Guy Like You Would Notice Me: Her reaction to Kaname.
- Immortality Begins at 20: In the future, when Yori is an elderly grandma, it is shown that Yuuki hasn't aged a bit.
- I Owe You My Life: Yuuki feels indebted towards Kaname for rescuing her ten years ago.
- Important Haircut: Yuuki's hair grows volumes after her vampire self is resurrected and after living with Kaname for some time, who refuses to let her cut it. She eventually whacks it all off when she makes it clear that she's working with Zero to take Kaname down.
- Interspecies Romance: With Kaname in the first arc (human and pureblood vampire), then ironically with Zero in the second (pureblood vampire and vampire hunter/level D vampire).
- It's All My Fault: Sees herself as the cause of, or at least a big part of the reason for Zero's suffering, and later Kaname's genocide mission.
- Last Kiss: Two with the men she grew to love: one with Kaname during their final tryst. The latter was with Zero when he dies in her arms. Zero's kiss had more significance to Yuuki since her narration stated that shortly after his death, she followed him quickly into the afterlife, unable to live any longer without him.
- Like Brother and Sister: This is what she thinks about Zero at first.
- Locked Out of the Loop: She really dislikes being kept in the dark, especially when it's about her own Mysterious Past.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Zero seems to think of her like this at times.
- Master Character Heroines: A triple split between Demeter: The Nurturer (her constant need to care for others above herself, such as Zero), Hera: The Matriarch (she is very supportive to the people closest to her—Kaien, Kaname, Zero, and Yori—and is pained whenever Zero and Kaname keep secrets from her), and Persephone: The Maiden (for her carefree and childlike personality and her willingness to help anyone, whether they are human or vampire).
- Meaningful Name: Yuuki means "tender" or "kind" (yuu) and "princess" (ki). Cross (or Kurosu) is the Japanese pronunciation of "cross" and the kanji chosen for kurosu translates to "black" (kuro) and "master" (su). Yuuki's biological surname—Kuran—translates to "nine orchids" because ku means "nine" and ran means orchids.
- Modesty Shorts: Yuuki is constantly running and jumping around to keep the peace in the Academy. Not once do readers see a panty shot.
- Morality Pet: To Zero and Kaname.
- Morph Weapon: Yuuki's main weapon, Artemis, which used to belong to her mother, can morph from a Simple Staff into a wicked looking Sinister Scythe.
- Mysterious Past: Does she ever!! The finale of the first part of the story is Yuuki coming to terms with her past.
- Not Blood Siblings: With Zero, as they were both raised by Kaien for some of their childhood. Lampshaded in Volume 2 and Volume 6, where she considers Zero like a "brother," mainly because of their status as childhood friends. As it turns out, she is this with Kaname as well, though they are still related.
- Oblivious to Love: She initially has a really difficult time believing that Kaname reciprocates her feelings. It's justified because she has convinced herself since she was a child that Kaname is "unreachable" to her. On another note, she is also oblivious to Zero's feelings until Chapter 46.
- In the first arc, she's also completely unaware of any feelings she might be harbouring for Zero. In a post-ending summary, it's confirmed that she did in fact fall in love with him in said arc, but didn't realize it until after she returned to being a pureblood and the two separated.
- Parental Abandonment: Was found in a blizzard and has no memory of her parents.
- Plucky Girl: When she's not sleeping in class, Yuuki is running all over the place. Mellows out in the second half somewhat.
- The Pollyanna: Good lord, the amount of angst that this girl goes through is not enough to keep her spirit down. In very heavy moments, her love interests step in to help her recover.
- Psychological Projection: She thought she and Zero were struggling with the same pain and fears, but when Zero denies it, Yuuki says, "I guess I was only seeing myself".
- Rapunzel Hair: When she recovers her memories as a pureblood.
- Rebellious Princess: Like her mother, Yuuki is not one who follows rules. This tends to get her in trouble.
- Relationship Upgrade: With Kaname and when that relationship starts to fail, her bond with Zero starts to strengthen. Unlike with Kaname, it sticks.
- Replacement Goldfish:
- After noticing her resemblence to Juuri, Yuuki's uncle Rido (who was in love with Juuri) changed his plans from devouring Yuuki to keeping her as a substitute for Juuri. Doubles as No Yay.
- Also, played with in Chapter 64 when she asks this to Kaname after learning of Kaname's attachment to a woman when he was the Ancestor of the Kurans.
- Rescue Romance: This is how she first meets Kaname and develops feelings for him.
- Romance Genre Heroines: A split between The Spunky Kid and The Nurturer. When Yuuki is revealed to be the daughter of the Kuran family and a pureblood vampire, she gradually develops into The Crusader while continuing to be The Nurturer.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: With Yori.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Either with Zero or Kaname.
- Second Love: Zero. An official summary after the main series' end confirms that she fell in love with him in the first arc, but she didn't become aware of it until the second. Eventually she ends up with him.
- Smitten Teenage Girl: Over Kaname in the first arc. Later she shows signs of this towards Zero.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Zero.
- Surprise Pregnancy: In a bonus chapter after the end, she realizes she's pregnant with Kaname's child, causing her to disappear for four years apparently for not being able to face Zero. Eventually she does return and begs for Zero's forgiveness, never realizing that Zero has never hated her or her child for it.
- Terrible Artist: Both she and Kaname are comically revealed to be this at different points. Apparently a family trait.
- Took a Level in Badass: After she reawakens as a pureblood vampire.
- Tragic Heroine: The second part of the story reinforces this.
- Undying Loyalty: Towards Kaname. She even admits to Aidou that she wouldn't even mind if he betrayed her, and Ichijou later admits that he's jealous of how resolute she is when it comes to Kaname. However, she gradually loses this loyalty towards him in the second arc.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Zero.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: After the one year time skip, she is shown struggling with the thought of being immortal. She later enforces this fully when Zero ends up dying and leaving her alone. She quickly goes on to revive Kaname by sacrificing herself, joining Zero.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Yuuki, along with the rest of the girls at the Academy, loves this fashion.
Voiced by: Mamoru Miyano (Japanese), Vic Mignogna (English)I will never allow that to happen... even if it makes Kuran my enemy... and even if you hate me for it.
Yuuki's childhood friend and a fellow Prefect. Zero is often aloof and unfriendly. He has a hatred for vampires ever since his family was murdered by a pureblood vampire five years ago. Zero was bitten by Pureblood vampire, Shizuka Hio, which is slowly causing him to transform into a vampire who inevitably become "Level E": a vampire who's lost all sense of reason. He also has not so subtle feelings for Yuuki. As a result of Kaname's "help" and his twin brother's sacrifice, Zero has managed to halt his descent into "Level E". However, later learning about Yuuki's true heritage and his fear and anger for Purebloods, as well as his own guilt, caused him to push Yuuki away from him, an action that he has then regretted since.Years later, Zero learns that Kaname was responsible for the deaths of his family as part of some cruel elaborate scheme, which causes Yuuki to finally abandon Kaname and be by Zero's side. After Kaname's death, Zero finally marries the girl of his dreams and starts a family with her. At some point during their happy marriage, Zero ends up dying in Yuuki's arms from an external force. After the young hunter's death, he is later joined by Yuuki in the afterlife when she gives up her life to save and revive a redeemed Kaname.
- Always Save the Girl: Zero will go to hell and back to protect his loved ones, particularly Yuuki.
- Anchored Ship: With Yuuki; see her example.
- Animal Motifs: The Dog.
- Angsty Surviving Twin: Zero's identical twin died during their childhood (his twin was actually alive for all the years Zero thought he was dead), a part of Zero's Dark and Troubled Past. Later played this straight when he finally devours Ichiru in the prison.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: Towards Yuuki in Chapter 46. While Yuuki acknowledges his feelings, it's an anguished love confession because he confesses that he only wants Yuuki's blood right after Yuuki admits she only desires Kaname's blood. Later his confession bares fruit when Yuuki comes to terms with her own feelings towards Zero.
- Asleep for Days: He slept for a week after Yuuki erased his memories in chapter 88/89.
- Babies Ever After: He and Yuuki have a son together, named Ren. Zero also adopts Yuuki's and Kaname's daughter Ai.
- Bad Dreams: Constantly has them of Shizuka slaughtering his family and Ichiru abandoning him to die. Later he has nightmares of Yuuki abandoning him to be with Kaname.
- Betty and Veronica: Betty to Kaname's Veronica.
- Bishōnen: Pretty enough to be on par with the Night Class.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: The brooding boy to gentle Yuuki.
- Character Development: Grows out of his vampire hatred over time and accepts Yuuki as she is. Though they will never see eye to eye, Zero also lets go of his grudge towards Kaname somewhat.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Yuuki.
- Classical Anti-Hero
- Dark and Troubled Past: This is an understatement. Losing his parents, losing his twin, struggling with the process of becoming a vampire. The guy needs a hug.
- Dating Catwoman: In spite of being enemies, Yuuki and he still love each other. They get together in the end.
- Deadpan Snarker: Occasionally.
- Defrosting Ice King: Twice even.
- Delinquent: As a kid, he and Ichiru were known to be mischievous.
- Did Not Get the Girl: In the first arc, that is.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: The final extra chapter opens up with Zero slowly fading away in Yuuki's arms; it's implied that he protected someone during an attack. He gives her one final kiss and lets himself be "consumed" by Yuuki before breaking into pieces. Yuuki is completely broken afterwards.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Type 2.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Zero goes through a lot of crap in order to finally be with Yuuki. He couldn't even have that as he's killed later and dies in the arms of his wife.
- Et Tu, Brute?: How he felt when learns she is a Pureblood vampire all along.
- Expy: From Dante. Both despised the other species that they become hunters in hunting them down, skilled with both a gun and sword, white-haired, have an evil twin brother (Vergil and Ichiru), and getting betrayed by the female lead (Trish and Yuuki) that they vowed to kill them the next time they crossed paths with the respective female. It kinda makes sense.
- Forced to Watch: Zero has amazing resolve and patience to see Yuuki be with another man. At times, even this starts to wear thin.
- Friend to All Children: Despite Zero's stoic nature, children are drawn to his kindness. Ai ends up adoring Zero as a result. Tragicially, it's implied that this is what ends up getting him killed.
- Good Is Not Nice: While Zero is willing to do the right thing, his aloofness keeps others at bay. At times, he can be downright mean-spirited. Only those closest to him can break through his facade and see him for the good man that he is.
- Go Out with a Smile: Zero gives Yuuki one last genuine happy smile before he dies in her arms and kisses her goodbye.
- The Gunslinger: Zero becomes insanely skilled with wielding the Bloody Rose gun.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Towards Kaname concerning Yuuki.
- Grumpy Bear: His default expression is always to wear a scowl. A shame, since he used to be pretty pleasant as a child.
- Happiness in Slavery: Of the second kind.
- The Hero Dies: Eventually ends up sacrificing himself to save a child. He and Yuuki share a Last Kiss beforehand.
- Heroic Sacrifice: With tears in her eyes and a sad smile on her face, Yuuki calls him a fool for going too far to protect not only her from danger but also a child that he had no relation to whatsoever. Zero dies shortly afterward.
- Hot-Blooded: Zero is very passionate in his views and his temper can get the best of him and cause hime to act rashly.
- Hunter of His Own Kind: A vampire who hunts other vampires. Oh the irony.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: Despite outward appearances, he remains a kind-hearted character no matter how much he's put through (as Yuuki even calls him out on at one point), and is considered unique in his nigh immunity to pureblood's charisma and control, which is hinted to be one of the reasons Kaname (and nearly all other purebloods we've seen) are so intrigued by, and interested in using him.
- Interspecies Romance: With Yuuki in the second arc; see her example.
- Interrupted Suicide: He attempts to after the day after drinking Yuuki's blood for the first time. Yuuki prevents it.
- I Owe You My Life: To Yuuki for keeping him alive through drinking her blood. That's why he wouldn't mind if Yuuki used him.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: He genuinely wants Yuuki to be with a person who makes her happy—even if it is Kaname. This doesn't stop his Unresolved Sexual Tension and Foe Yay with her, though.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: The "gold" part is there; just have to really reach out for it.
- Knight in Sour Armor: Saves the day but does it scowling.
- Last Kiss: In relation to Go Out with a Smile above, Zero does this to Yuuki before passing away.
- Likes Older Women: According to his bio in the fanbook, his taste in woman are "cool older women" and "flat-chested women are out of the question." Of course, everyone can see he has his eyes set on a certain flat-chested girl...
- Loners Are Freaks: Peope sometimes think this of him due to Zero's anti-social behavior, never realizing that while he craves companionship, he's afraid of hurting others due to his vampiric thirst.
- Love Martyr: Is in love with a girl who is in love with a man he hates, and who treats him bad behind her back. Taken even further when it's revealed that Kaname was the one arranging his parents' murder, something Yuuki initially doesn't appear to take notice of.
- Master Character Heroes: Arguably, he fills the role of Poseidon: The Artist because of how he's been despising himself all these years because of his vampire side and his reaction to Yuuki discovering him as a vampire, how his character can often be unpredictable, and his fear of ever harming Yuuki.
- Meaningful Name: Zero's first name has the kanji for rei, which means "zero" in Japanese. His last name Kiryuu translates to "auger"/"drill" (ki) and "life" (ryuu).
- Mr. Fanservice: The night class are not the only pretty ones.
- My Hero Zero: The man's name and arguably the biggest and most noble character in the series.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: Is treated like the story's, or more specifically, the love triangle's Butt Monkey for a fair amount of the time despite being the most kindhearted character (stated by the author herself), always remaining loyal and protective of Yuuki (as mentioned below; even after alienating himself from her) and making her happier than Kaname which is even highlighted by the latter towards the end. To add to it, when he finally gets his happy ending, it's entirely skipped in favor for showing Yuuki returning to Kaname's tomb after his (Zero's) off-screen death, to sacrifice herself in order to give Kaname a happy ending as well.
- With the release of bonus chapters, however, he's given more of a closure as it confirms their happy ending together next to the stated knowledge that Yuuki loves him, in the deepest sense of the word. He also demonstrates that he's a really good father, as Ai adores Zero. Later he wanted to make it known to the world that he and Yuuki are seeing each other and will live with her and Ai as a family man.
- Not Blood Siblings: Zero and Yuuki, who were both raised by Kaien for some of their childhood. Lampshaded in Volume 2 and Volume 6, where Yuuki says she considers Zero like a "brother," mainly because of their status as Childhood Friends.
- Parental Abandonment: His parents were murdered by Shizuka Hio.
- Parental Substitute: A post-ending bonus chapter shows him caring for Yuuki and Kaname's daughter, Ai, who in turn adores him and calls him "Father".
- Perpetual Frowner: His main expression.
- Polar Opposite Twins: With Ichiru. However at the heart of it all, both brother are really similar, as Kaien lampshades.
- Purple Eyes: In the color pages and anime.
- Rage Against the Reflection: He broke the mirror he was looking into when realizing his wound was healing much too fast for a human, meaning he'd become a vampire.
- Really 700 Years Old: He still looks young when it skips 50 years, and considering his condition's similarity to Kaien, he likely remained young looking for at least a couple of centuries and more.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Zero gives out to Yuuki when he found out she's a Pureblood vampire all along.Zero: Coming here to talk? You don't really think that would make a difference, do you? Discussing things like turning humans into vampires. But of course you transformed from a vampire into a human. On the other side of this door, I sense an arrogant Pureblood who does nothing but torment people.
- Replacement Goldfish: Maria's interest in Zero is hinted to stem from the fact that Ichiru's blood and spirit is inside of him.
- Romance Genre Heroes: A split between The Bad Boy and The Warrior.
- Sanity Slippage: In the first arc, he suffers from this as he's slowly turning into a level E, something drinking Yuuki's blood only temporarily postpones. After indirectly receiving Shizuka's blood through Kaname and Ichiru, however, he becomes safe.
- Second Love: To Yuuki. An official summary of the bonus chapters after the main series ended confirms that Yuuki fell in love with him in the first arc like he did with her, but she didn't become aware of it until the second arc.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Ichiru.
- Single-Minded Twins: Kaien spazzes out when he notices that the twins entered the room with the same pose in a omake. In Chapter 73, when he lightly scolded Maria and carried her back to the Moon Dormitory, Maria noticed that Ichiru said and did the same thing to her when they first met.
- Sour Supporter: As much as it pains him, he supports Yuuki's efforts with trying to "woo" Kaname. Doesn't last too long.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Yuuki.
- The Stoic: Always remains calm no matter the circumstances. Yuuki and Kaien can bring out his comical side with ease. Kaname outright makes Zero homicidal.
- Teen Genius: According to his bio in the official fanbook. But because he's always late to class, he attends supplementary classes.
- Theme Twin Naming: 'Zero' literally means 'zero' and the 'ichi' in 'Ichiru' means 'one'.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Gets to live with Yuuki happily for a thousand years at the end of the story.
- Troubled Backstory Flashback: A few chapters is dedicated to how Zero became the loner he is today, before he met Kaien and Yuuki.
- Troubled, but Cute: A good-looking young man with a troubled past.
- Tsundere: Will do the right thing, but complains about it being a bother. His friends know it's anything but.
- Undying Loyalty: Towards Yuuki. Even after alienating himself from her, he still ends up protecting her on several occasions such as from Touma and angered hunters, and offers his own blood to her when witnessing her hunger while she's at the Hunter Association. In the finale, he also attempts to talk Kaname out of sacrificing himself to prevent Yuuki from grieving.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Yuuki.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Compare his quiet and gentle personality as a child to his adulthood. The difference is startling.
- Vampire Hunter: It's his job. Later in the story, Zero is nominated to become president of the Vampire Hunters.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Zero's risk of becoming a Level E. Kaname's and Ichiru's blood seem to have ceased this because both of them had drank Shizuka's blood.
- Workaholic: As a Vampire Hunter. Especially after the timeskip because it is the only thing to keep him sane without depending on Yuuki's blood.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: Both purebloods in-universe and Matsuri herself seems to love screwing with him, for who knows what reason. This finally ends with the poor guy's death, in his lover's arms no less!
Sayori "Yori" Wakaba
Voiced by: Risa Mizuno (Japanese), Stephanie Sheh (English)Yuuki... I feel like you're hiding something from me... I know you have "something" you can't tell me. And I know you're doing that to make me not worry about you. I'm lonely... Yuuki...
The best friend of Yuuki. Unlike the rest of the Day Class girls who are infatuated with the Night Class, she finds them scary and wouldn't mind dating a boy from the Day Class who's as handsome as Zero. Even after Yuuki's reveal as a Pureblood, she doesn't care. She ships Zero and Yuuki and expresses exasperation that they haven't gotten together yet. Later she falls for Aidou and marries the guy. However, for reasons unknown, she refused to become a vampire like him and dies a peaceful death from old age, leaving behind Aidou and her grandchildren.
- Anger Born of Worry: When Yuuki apologizes to Yori for being a vampire, Yori calls her an idiot and hugs her. D'aww.
- Arranged Marriage: Has a fiance she has never met before and doesn't even know his name.
- Bi the Way: In her profile of the official fanbook, when asked what her "type" would be, she says, "Someone I get when I add Yuuki and Zero, then divide by two." Riiight.
- Celibate Heroine: Probably because she already has an arranged fiance.
- Closer to Earth: More grounded than her best friend Yuuki. She's the go to person when Yuuki and even Zero have problems they want to talk about.
- Curtains Match the Window: Brunette hair and brown eyes.
- Emotionless Girl: Appears this way because of her lack of expression, but she's really just Closer to Earth.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend:Kaito: I didn't ask that earlier because we were in front of the association, but... are you Zero's girlfriend?Yori: No, a close friend of a childhood friend of his.Kaito: Oh...
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Yuuki.... then again....
- Interspecies Romance: As the story winds down, she falls in love Aidou and vice-versa. Sadly she dies of old age before Aidou discovers too late the cure to vampirism, since she didn't want to turn into a vampire and Aidou desperately searched for a cure so that he can die with his lover.
- Little Miss Snarker: Can be quite snarky when she wants to be.
- Master Support Characters: Supplies the role as The Best Friend to Yuuki and later to Zero after the timeskip.
- Meaningful Name: Sayori means "sand" (sa) and "trust" (yori). Wakaba means "young leaves."
- Only Known by Their Nickname: She is rarely called by her first name, Sayori.
- Pair the Spares: Is paired with Aidou in a post-ending bonus chapter.
- Plucky Girl: Sneaking into a vampire ball—fully aware of how dangerous that could be for a human girl — is either very brave or very stupid.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: With Yuuki.
- Sacrificial Lamb: Kaito planned to use her as a "sacrificial lamb" at a vampire ball in order for a vampire to bite Yori, as this would allow the hunters a reason to kill the purebloods. Luckily, she was left unscathed, on account of her massive luck and the fact that Zero, who was watching her the whole time, would tear any vampire limb from limb if they so much as touch her.
- Secret Keeper: Is one of the few Day Class students who were allowed to keep their memories of the vampire battle at Cross Academy.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Would prefer someone from the Day Class rather than the Night Class. Later subverted when she falls for Aidou, after he mellowed out and became nicer, of course.
- Unfazed Everyman: Silly things happen around her. Her face barely changes.
Voiced by: Takahiro Matsukawa (Japanese)The Class President of Yuuki's class. He harbors unrequited feelings for Ruka.
Voiced by: Taya Fujimori (Japanese), Carrie Savage (English)A Day Class student who develops a big crush on Zero after he rescues her.
- Dogged Nice Girl: Despite Zero's attitude towards her, she keeps tailing him around.
- Every Girl Is Cuter with Hair Decs
- Girlish Pigtails: Her two braids.
- Hopeless Suitor: For Zero. Later grows out of her feelings for him.
- Meganekko: Her defining trait.
- Rescue Romance: Falls for Zero after he catches her when she falls trying to present her St. Xocolatl's Day gift by climbing the Night Class dormitory wall. Ends up going nowhere.
Kaname Kuran / The Ancestor of the Kurans
Voiced by: Daisuke Kishio (Japanese), Ethan Murray (English)
Kaname is the president of the Night Class, a pureblood vampire, and the object of Yuuki's affections. He rescued Yuuki ten years ago from a vampire attack. While formal and polite, Kaname can also be enigmatic and distant. Two mysteries that surround Kaname are the death of his parents and his connection towards Yuuki's memories. The end of the first arc has Kaname turning Yuuki into a vampire or rather, turning her back into a vampire since she was always a Pureblood like himself, as well as her brother/future fiance. As the second arc goes by, despite living together like a married couple, Yuuki and Kaname's relationship takes several blows when Kaname's penchant for keeping secrets and habit of always maintaining control wears on Yuuki and slowly but surely strains their relationship.Kaname later reveals that he is actually the first ancestor of the Kurans brought back to life by Rido in an attempt to put a leash on the most powerful creature alive. This backfires as - in an attempt to keep himself from attacking everything in sight - Kaname lets his body devolve to that of a newborn's, the ancestor takes on the name and place of the the real son of Haruka and Juuri Kuran, who was sacrificed to awaken him and was, in cruel irony, also named after him - Kaname. Eventually getting disheartened by the unchanging vampire society, Kaname deliberately pushes Yuuki and everyone close to him away in order to try and commit genocide on all Purebloods in accordance to the last wishes of the ancestor who gave her heart to make Anti-Vampire weapons; carrying on the The Hooded Woman's work. However, as the Parent Metal that makes Anti-Vampire weapons has cooled and died, he resolves to, and late does, cast his own heart into the furnace and becomes the Parent Metal in order to atone for his sins and protect humans from vampires. He dies wishing for Yuuki and Zero to be happy together. Yuuki later brings him back to life as a human with no memories and leaves him in the care of her children, finally redeemed and having another chance at life.
- Alliterative Name: Kaname is so old that, by the time he met others of his own kind around ten thousand years before the canon timeline he had already forgotten his own name. The "Hooded Woman", who was one of the first vampires he'd met, gave him the name Kaname, after the village in which she was born.
- Always Save the Girl: Kaname has a habit of always being near Yuuki's side whenever things go south for her, and is known to punish and/or kill vampires who harm her in any way.
- Animal Motifs: Bats.
- Anti-Hero: Kaname ends up deliberately turning everyone against him in order to fulfill his goal. Which includes: keeping Yuuki alive, safe and happy; and protecting humanity from vampires.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: Does this to Aidou three times.
- Babies Ever After: He and Yuuki have a daughter named Ai together.
- Betty and Veronica: Veronica to Zero's Betty.
- Big Bad: While he's not evil, his increasingly villainous actions and mindset turn him into the main antagonist of the series, to the point where the series actually ends with him as the Final Boss. In the end though, he sacrifices himself to protect all of humanity from the threat of vampires.
- Bishōnen: Considered the most handsome of the entire Night Class; even the girls from the Night Class want him.
- Brother-Sister Incest: Yuuki is his sister and the daughter of Haruka and Juuri. In spite of this, they still remain a couple because it is common for purebloods to interbreed due to the fact that Pure Vampire blood eliminates the possibility of defects. Though, it's revealed that he is really the ancestor of the Kurans.
- Byronic Hero: Mixed with the Anti-Hero trope above, Kaname is on his own side and doesn't care what methods are used to accomplish his goals.
- Character Development: Kaname starts the series as a distant personage, as the series progresses he is revealed to be a very protective and kindhearted person who actively tries to protect humanity and the vampire race; despite it, he doesn't shy away from using both a manipulative and a heavy-handed approach to reach his goals - and can be quite ruthless. To be fair to him, trying to maintain his "goodness" in a Crapsack World of power-hungry vampires and hunters took its toll on him. After acknowledging his mistakes he dies in peace. his own heart being what protects humanity, and is revived a changed man. Without the burdens of vampirism and his memories tying him down, Kaname is able to relax and be himself around others.
- Childhood Marriage Promise: With Yuuki (who was born to be his wife).
- Curtains Match the Window: As with all Kurans, brown hair and red eyes. Since he's the first ancestor of the family, he really started the trend.
- Death Equals Redemption: Sort of. His heart becomes the new Parent Metal to make Anti Vampire weapons; also - at the end - Yuuki turns him into a human without his memories.
- Disney Death: Gives his life to become the furnace, yet is resurrected at the end by Yuuki turning him human.
- Even the Guys Want Him: He has this "problem". He already has Yuuki, Ruka, Sara, and countless screaming Day Class girls who want him. Not to mention all those nobles practically shoving their daughters at him a vampire soiree. But on top of all this, he has a very one-sided bromance with Aidou, and if you look closely there's a guy in line to give him chocolates in the St. Xocolatl's Day chapter. And then there's Ichijou's loyalty and concern for Kaname brought to new and interesting heights as of the latest chapter if his conversation with Yuuki is anything to go by.
- Genius Book Club: When Kaname is not brooding in a corner or watching over Yuuki, he's reading classic literature. His room has a personal library.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Towards Zero concerning Yuuki.
- Hero Antagonist: Played with during the second half of the story, whenever the plot shifts to his point of view, Kaname slides more and more into an antagonist.
- Hidden Depths: There's a lot more to Kaname than what's on the surface...
- Human Popsicle: He's preserved in an ice coffin by Aidou after giving his heart to the hunter's furnace.
- I Let Gwen Stacy Die: When Yuuki sees into his true past, the unnamed woman from his past as the Ancestor of the Kurans.
- Immortality Begins at 20: As with all vampires (and Zero) as soon as Kaname reaches young adulthood, he hasn't aged a day.
- Interspecies Romance: With Yuuki in the first arc (human and pureblood vampire).
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: After he casts his heart into the furnace, he tells both Yuuki and Zero to be happy.
- Karma Houdini: To a degree. Although he admits to have committed many sins and gives his life at the end to become the hunter's furnace, he equally confesses to not have any regrets.
- Knight Templar Big Brother: Kaname is really passionate when it comes to protecting Yuuki and will go to any lengths to punish the offender. Just ask his fellow pureblood Toma...
- Lonely at the Top: As with all Purebloods.
- Master Character Heroes: Zeus: The King.
- Meaningful Name: Kaname means "pivot"/"center." Kuran means "nine orchids" because ku means "nine" and ran means orchids.
- Fun fact: the kanji for Kaname is very similar to that of "hitsugi" (coffin), and even the mangaka herself mixed up the two in some typos.
- Mr. Fanservice: Next to Zero, he supplies this in spades.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: He would really love to do this, but he settles with torture the hypotenuse.
- My Master, Right or Wrong: He is unable to murder Rido—no matter how much he would want to—because Rido was the one who resurrected Kaname (as the ancestor of the Kurans) from his grave. Not that he wouldn't want to though.
- Mysterious Past: Oh yeah. Part of the main draw of the second arc was learning more about Kaname.
- Not Blood Siblings: With Yuuki as it turns out that he's not her biological brother, but the Ancestor of the Kurans, which means he's technically her great, great, great, etc. grandfather. He was still raised as her older brother, though.
- Not So Different: To Rido, pointed out by himself.
- Offscreen Teleportation: Kaname is implied to be very fast but the manner in which he shows up instantly is unnerving.
- Parental Abandonment: It is claimed that Kaname's parents—Haruka and Juuri Kuran—committed suicide. However, Kaname reveals that they were murdered instead.
- Perpetual Frowner: Shares this with Zero.
- Really 700 Years Old: Times a dozen, he is well over ten thousand years old.
- Relationship Upgrade: With Yuuki.
- The Rival: With Zero.
- The Chessmaster: The man loves plotting, as does every Pureblood in the series. It doesn't matter if its for a grand master plan or because he's bored.
- The Omniscient: Could be form 1 or 2.
- Romance Genre Heroes: He is The Lost Soul. Though, a split with the former The Warrior is also arguable.
- Smart People Play Chess: Besides reading, he loves playing chess as well, sometimes using it as an analogy to what's taking place right now.
- Stalker with a Crush: Of a sort. Kaname watches over Yuuki during her human years from a distance.
- The Stoic: Always calm no matter what. Always. It takes something really drastic for Kaname to show another emotion.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Typical of a vampire male lead.
- Terrible Artist: Him and Yuuki both.
- Tranquil Fury: In line with his stoicism, Kaname doesn't blow his top, he just get more vengeful and violent when angry.
- Troubled Backstory Flashback: His real identity is the Ancestor of the Kurans. Years and years ago, he and his original lover, the Hooded Woman, did all they can in helping the populace from rouge vampires and Purebloods. When the woman sacrificed herself and gave her heart to a furnace that can generate weapons for the helpless humans, the ancestor was left the only Pureblood in the fight for protecting humanity. He put himself into a deep slumber - from which he didn't plan to wake from - in order to escape the desolation that his long life had become, only to be brought back life by Rido in an attempt to have a powerful Pureblood slave.
- Troubled, but Cute: He used to be quite a cute child despite having the mind of an adult.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Then his memories started to return to him.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: In the second arc, he reveals to have been the one to have released Shizuka from her cage in the Vampire Senate, despite knowing that Rido (who was her fiancee) wouldn't let her go easily, and due to it claims responsibility for her attack on the Kiryuu family. He also goes on a genocidal mission with the goal of wiping out all purebloods, ending with him intending to use his own heart as furnace for the vampire hunters' metal.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Being the ancestor of the Kurans and well over a thousand years old qualifies one to be all knowledgeable.
Voiced by: Susumu Chiba (Japanese), Spike Spencer (English)... Grandfather... Let us put an end to the Ichijou line.
Kaname's best friend and the Night Class's vice president. He is very friendly and outgoing, and can usually be found with a smile on his face. Ichijou's grandfather is a member of the Vampire Council. He is good friends with Shiki and Rima. He later betrays Kaname when he falls for the Pureblood Sara Shirabuki, though it is never revealed if his feelings for her were genuine or he was manipulated into loving her thanks to the Purebloods' power of persuasion. After her death, he's left without a purpose in life.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Easily the friendliest and goofiest of the vampires; he even acts like a human would, thus making it hard to tell the difference with him.
- Conflicting Loyalty: Towards his friendship with Kaname and his duty towards the Vampire Council. Later it's his friendship with everyone and his feelings towards Sara.
- Cool Sword: Thanks to his grandfather, Takuma becomes really skilled with a sword.
- Fallen Prince: The cover of Chapter 65 describes Ichijou as "the royal blood who lost his position."
- Foil: To Kaname.
- Green Eyes: Color pages and the anime shows us this.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Kaname and Shiki.
- Last Name Basis: No one really calls Ichijou by his first name.
- Ruka calls him Takuma-sama, though.
- Let's Get Dangerous: When Ichijou confronts his treacherous grandfather.
- Meaningful Name: Takuma means "to cultivate" (taku) and "hemp" or "flax" (ma, a kanji for asa), which is a plant with blue flowers. Ichijou means a "ray" or "streak."
- More Than Mind Control: Quite possibly with Sara.
- Perpetual Smiler: Always seen with a smile, though how much of it is real is hard to tell.
- íThree Amigos!: With Shiki and Rima.
- Undercover As
LoversSiblings: Following the timeskip, Sara and he claim that they are siblings while entering a new high school.
- You Read Too Much X: He reads too much manga.
Voiced by: Jun Fukuyama (Japanese), Bryce Papenbrook (English)... And my heart decided. I would become someone who could really protect him.
Nicknamed "Idol" by the Day Class girls, Aidou is Kaname's "right-hand man" alongside his cousin Kain. He displays a fun-loving and playful personality around the Day Class girls, and he fiercely idolizes Kaname, despite the punishment he receives in turn. He is jealous of the attention Yuuki recieves from Kaname and has a tense relationship with Zero due to his lack of respect for Kaname.After Yuuki's reveal as a Pureblood, Aidou becomes more respectful towards her, though still treats her like a klutz at times. His loyalty towards Kaname is finally shattered when his father is murdered by him and he pledges to stop his former friend at all costs. Later Aidou discovers the cure to vampirism based on Kaname's old notes, though his primary motivation in completing the cure was due to a desire to age and die with Yori, who he fell in love with. Tragically he's too late and it is unknown what happens to him afterwards.
- A Day in the Limelight: In Vampire Knight: Ice Blue no Tsumi.
- Always Someone Better: Initially hated Kaname when they were children, as Kaname was more well-liked because of his pureblood status, but he gradually grows to admire Kaname as time grew on.
- An Ice Person: His powers include manipulating ice. He can be quite cold at times too.
- Becoming the Mask: He—along with Kain, Ruka, and Ichijou—was purposely supposed to befriend Fuuka in order to keep an eye on her as she takes the experimental pills to see if it will help her slow down the vampire process of an eventual Level E, but as time grew on, Aidou began growing emotionally supportive and sympathetic towards Fuuka and genuinely wanted to save her.
- Berserk Button: You do not want to come between him and his Kaname-sama.
- Big Eater: Similar to Yuuki, Aidou can really chow down.
- Brutal Honesty: Can be very blunt with his opinions at times.
- Butt Monkey: From time to time, but recently increasing in the current chapters by unfortunately getting captured by Zero and the Hunters Association.
- The Caretaker: Of Fuuka.
- Child Prodigy/Teen Genius: Considered to be very smart by his peers. Professors from other universities come to his doorstep to beg him to enroll in their schools.
- Clingy Jealous Boy: Anyone who gets close to Kaname earns Aidou's ire.
- Conflicting Loyalty: His admiration towards Kaname versus his duty as a vampire after he witnesses Kaname murdering Shizuka. Also, his growing attachment towards Fuuka versus his duty to have kept her emotionally distant and think her as just an experimental subject. Later his desire to keep Kaname a noble vampire in his heart versus hating the guy when he murders his father.
- Cool Teacher/Hot Teacher: Becomes Yuuki's personal tutor and personal bodyguard following the timeskip.
- Cynicism Catalyst/Failure Knight: Initially, Fuuka—a Day Class student who had been turned into an ex-human vampire—was just a test subject and experiment to him for the (at the time) experimental pills that could slow the vampire process from a Level E. He disliked her because she had a crush on Kaname, but as time grew on, he sympathized with Fuuka and wanted to save her from her eventual fate. After Fuuka took the pills, she was beginning to show signs of recovery, but her body soon developed an immunity against it. Fuuka asks him to kill her so she won't turn into a Level E vampire, and in spite of his protests, he reluctantly abides and kills Fuuka.
- Declaration of Protection: A male example with him obviously wanting to protect Kaname. Played straight with Fuuka, but he wasn't able to save her.
- The Dulcinea Effect: Arguably towards Fuuka, though subverted as it took him a while to have her presence grow on him.
- Fanboy: For Kaname.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Extremely jealous towards the attention Yuuki recieves from Kaname. He kind of gets over it when he finds out Yuuki is a pureblood and Kaname's "sister."
- His Heart Will Go On: After Fuuka's death.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Kain.
- Hidden Depths: There's more to him than just being a Kaname fanboy.
- Hot-Blooded: Despite his powers, Aidou has quite the hot temperament.
- I Let Gwen Stacy Die: Poor Fuuka.
- In-Series Nickname: "Idol".
- Interspecies Romance: Aido (vampire) and Yori (human). He even states that he repeatedly asked her to become a vampire, and when she refused, he worked on Kaname's notes to turn vampires to humans so he could live the rest of his life with her. He fails to find it in time.
- Lady Killer In Love: The extra chapter in the final volume strongly implies that Aidou is in love with Yori. Considering his flirtatious attitude towards girls at the start of the series, Aidou is considered this. Another extra chapter outright confirms his love for Yori.
- Last Name Basis: Usually called by his last name.
- Meaningful Name: Hanabusa means "petals of a flower" and Aidou means "indigo temple." The pronunciation of Aidou is very close to the pronunciation of the English word "Idol" in Japanese, which is where the Day Class girls derived Aidou's nickname from.
- Mercy Kill: Reluctantly kills Fuuka when she doesn't want to become a Level E.
- Number Two: He and his cousin Kain share the role towards Kaname.
- Pet the Dog: He gradually grows to sympathize with Yuuki following The Reveal. After the timeskip, he reassures Yuuki he won't tell Kaname that she is writing a letter to someone (presumably Yori), offers blood tablets for her when she had to resort to biting herself to get blood, accompanies her on her mission to confront pureblood vampires, and stands beside her when she decides to reopen the Night Class, in spite of the fact that Kaname murdered his father prior to this.
- Ship Tease: With Yuuki, Yori, and Fuuka. Yori wins in the end, due to Yuuki hooking up with Zero and Fuuka tragically dying before anything could come out of it.
- Staking the Loved One: To Fuuka.
- Undying Loyalty: Towards Kaname.
Voiced by: Junichi Suwabe (Japanese), Troy Baker (English)... If in the future you end up causing her unhappiness... then I will not forgive you.
Nicknamed "Wild" by the Day Class girls, Kain is Kaname's "right-hand man" alongside his cousin Aidou. He is often laidback and reserved. Kain sympathizes with his childhood friend Ruka, who he has feelings for. Towards the end of the manga, he finally gets with her.
- Butt Monkey: Kain has a fair amount of bad luck and is a "victim of circumstances," often getting lectured for not stopping fights or gets involved into said fights that he didn't necessarily want to get into.
- Curtains Match the Window: Orange hair and orange eyes.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Despite constantly seeing Ruka pine for Kaname, this hasn't deterred Kain's feelings for her one bit. It pays off in the end when he finally gets her.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Aidou.
- Hopeless Suitor: For Ruka. Subverted when he later gets her.
- If You Ever Do Anything to Hurt Her...: The above quote.
- In-Series Nickname: "Wild".
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Willing to support Ruka's feelings at the expense of his own.
- Kissing Cousins: According to the flashback chapter of Kaname and the rest of the Night Class when they were kids, as well as the fanbook, Ruka is cousins with Aidou and him. Fulfills this trope literally when he snatches Ruka away from helping out Ai with her spying on her parents and starts making out with her.
- Last Name Basis: Usually called by his last name.
- Meaningful Name: Akatsuki translates to "dawn" or "daybreak." Kain translates to a "base" or "support" (ka) and a "building that has high fences around it"—such as a temple or school (in).
- Number Two: He and his cousin Aidou share the role towards Kaname.
- Playing with Fire: His main power is to manipulate fire.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: To Ruka. Later subverted when they hook up in the bonus chapters.
Voiced by: Dorothy Elias Fahn (English)
Because I've been a fool who only cares about my own feelings... always... until I was faced with the truth...A beautiful student of the Night Class who has unrequited feelings for Kaname. She later grows out of these feelings after seeing how irrational Kaname can be in achieving his goals and later grows to fall in love with her cousin, Kain.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Gets insanely jealous over anyone, particularly girls, vying for Kaname's attention.
- Curtains Match the Window: Beige hair and eyes.
- Dogged Nice Girl: Similar to Kain, she's adamant about trying to win Kaname's affections. She fails but gets over it when she hooks up with Kain.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Like Aidou, she is jealous of Yuuki because of the attention she recieves from Kaname. When Yuuki is revealed to be a pureblood vampire and Kaname's "sister", she gradually accepts that her feelings for Kaname are unrequited.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Chapter 82 where she protects Zero from Kaname and gets stabbed in the process. Luckily she survives next chapter.
- Hopeless Suitor: For Kaname. Later gets over it when she falls for Kain.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Willing to sacrifice her happiness if it means Kaname can be happy.
- Love Martyr: To Kaname.
- Master of Illusion: Ruka's main power is to implant illusions into her victims. Very useful when facing scores of enemies and she has them attack their own allies disguised as enemies. Those who become aware of it are able to eventually break it, as Yuuki did.
- Meaningful Name: Ruka means "lapis lazuli" (ru) and "good-looking" or "beautiful" (ka). Souen means either "early" or "strong fragrance" (sou) and "garden" (en).
- Replacement Goldfish: To Kaname for Yuuki. It didn't work.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: To Kaname.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Damn, those are some short skirts.
Voiced by: Soichiro Hoshi (Japanese), Steve Staley (English)That's all right, because a puppet, is now able to move by its own conscious.
A young model in the Night Class who is often in the company of Rima. Quiet and introverted, Shiki initially doesn't think too much of himself. Shiki's mother is a former actress who he must take care of because she's fairly helpless on her own. He is good friends with Ichijou.
- Alliterative Name: "S"enri "S"hiki
- Birds of a Feather: With Rima.
- Bloody Murder: Shiki can weaponized his blood to attack his enemies. His preferred weapon is the whip.
- Character Development: Starts opening up following Rido's attack and the timeskip.
- Disappeared Dad: Who turns out to be Rido.
- Grand Theft Me: When possessed by his father, Rido Kuran.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Ichijou.
- Last Name Basis: Usually called by his last name except when he's with family members, such as his mother, his father Rido, and his uncle.
- Meaningful Name: Senri means "1,000 ri." Shiki means "to support" (shi) and "mallow" (ki), which is a flowering plant with pink or white blossoms.
- Mismatched Eyes: One can tell that there is something off about Shiki when one of his eyes turns red. Turns out he's possessed by his father Rido. This is more obvious in the anime.
- The Quiet One: To a tee. If one didn't know Shiki that well, you swear he's mute.
- Ship Tease: With Rima. By manga's end, it's implied they get together.
- íThree Amigos!: With Ichijou and Rima.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: While possessed by his father, Shiki is a lot more colder and crueler to everyone.
- Whip It Good: Shiki loves using a whip as his primary weapon and he's damn good at it too. It's strong enough to upturn asphalt.
Voiced by: Carrie Savage (English)Shiki! You should love yourself more!
A young model in the Night Class who is often in the company of Shiki. If separated from him, Rima is often found worrying about Shiki. She is good friends with Ichijou.
- Birds of a Feather: With Shiki.
- Emotionless Girl: Only Skiki can get a rise out of her. Later she starts opening up to more of her Night Class friends.
- Every Girl Is Cuter with Hair Decs: Rima wears two black pins that hold up her hair in pigtails.
- Girlish Pigtails: Thanks to her hairpins.
- "I Know You're In There Somewhere" Fight: When she fights Rido, who possessing Shiki's body.
- Meaningful Name: Rima means "jasmine" (ri) and "enhancement of wearing away"—such as by polishing or souring (ma). Touya means a "far-reaching arrow."
- The Quiet One: Similar to Shiki,
- Ship Tease: Shiki and Rima.
- Shock and Awe: Rima can wield the power of electricity, as opposed to her other two elemental friends Aidou (Ice) and Kain (Fire).
- íThree Amigos!: With Shiki and Ichijou
- Zettai Ryouiki: Comes with twin-tails.
Voiced by: Risa Mizuno (Japanese), Colleen O'Shaughnessy (English)
Kaname's unofficial bodyguard. She only exists to exert her master's will. Later she goes on to serve Yuuki and Toga after Kaname's demise.Bonus chapters reveal that her true name used to be "Hoshino" and she, along with her younger sister "Yoruno", were once offered to be sacrificed by cruel vampires in an attempt to appease Kaname's bloodlust. Disgusted by their actions, Kaname helps free both sisters but in the attempted escape, Seiren's sister ends up dying, with Seiren on the brink of death herself. Kaname offers her a choice to either die and join her sister or become a vampire like himself. She chooses the latter and in gratitude for the man's kindness, she develops fierce loyalty towards her savior, abandoning her "human" name and taking up her current name.
- Berserk Button: Harm her companions, especially her master Kaname, expect heads to roll. Zero nearly died for his trouble when he pulled a gun on the Pureblood and was only "saved" when Kaname told her to back off. To Zero's credit, he didn't even flinch when her hand is penetrating slightly into his neck.
- Broken Bird: Good god, her backstory is tragic. Losing her younger sister, losing her humanity, losing her innocence; it's enough to break anyone.
- Cannot Tell a Lie: Seiren is very blunt with her opinions. Aidou even remarks that she's never been known to lie.
- Emotionless Girl: The most emotionless character in the entire series and with a cast of characters full of stoics, that's saying something.
- Meaningful Name: Seiren translates to "star" (sei) and "to smelt" or "refine" (ren). Also, ren is of the same kanji as rengoku, which means "purgatory." Bonus chapters reveal that Kaname gave this name to her after she became a vampire; she and her younger sister were ingrained with the idea of "heaven and hell" and dying terrifies them since they do not want to go to hell. By existing as a vampire and prolonging her life, Seiren exists in a "purgatory" of sorts until she proves herself worthy enough to enter heaven later.
- Ship Tease: Implied that she hooked up with Toga in the final chapter. May be a result of saving her from falling rubble during Kaname's rampage on the Hunter's Building.
- The Stoic: Almost never shows off any emotion. After seeing her backstory in a bonus chapter, one can hardly blame her.
- Undying Loyalty: Kaname entrusts her with any task and she will fulfill it to the letter. The final bonus chapter explains why she's so attached to Kaname. Later she develops this towards Toga.
Voiced by: Hozumi Gouda (Japanese), Christopher Corey Smith (English)The headmaster of Cross Academy. Kaien is Yuuki's adoptive father and took in Zero following the death of his parents. He strongly believes that humans and vampires can co-exist. In the past, Kaien used to be known as the strongest vampire hunter known to man and thanks to his genetics that houses an insane amount of vampire DNA, Kaien no longer ages past his prime. He had a very jaded outlook on life as a result of constantly assuming different identities to avoid suspicion about his age, as well as the fact that killing rouge vampires makes no leeway for humans in the war for survival. It was only after meeting Juuri Kuran that his personality started to change, similar to how Zero met Yuuki. It's implied that he was in love with Juuri but never pursued the relationship due to her already being happily married to Haruka.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: He's a goof but he's really good at founding and running his own academy full of humans and vampires.
- Cloudcuckoolander: To say that he acts like a clown would be an understatement. A startling contrast compared his hunter persona.
- Cool Sword: His trademark sword is serrated. This prevents vampires from healing quickly, along with its magical anti-vampire qualities.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Don't let his foolishness deceive you. He knows when things get serious, the gloves are off. Known to be the most powerful vampire hunter in the world. Yes, this guy is even more badass than Zero, Kaito and Toga.
- Doting Parent: Done in the most over-the-top way for both Yuuki and Zero.
- Eccentric Mentor: Imparts sage advice to his peers and adoptive children in the silliest ways possible.
- Generation Xerox: Despite not being related to the Kiryuus, Kaien's life is eerily similar to his adoptive son Zero's: both hated vampires and hunt them, they meet an eccentric Pureblood vampire who changes their outlook on life and will do anything to protect their legacy, etc. The only difference is that while Kaien failed to woo Juuri, Zero actually got together with Yuuki.
- Grumpy Bear: While he was a full-blown hunter in a flashback chapter.
- Hopeless Suitor: Sadly, for Juuri.
- I Owe You My Life: Feels indebted towards Juuri Kuran for sparing his life sixteen years ago. This is due to trying to attack her while she was pregnant with Yuuki.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Eventually becomes this towards Juuri, as by the time he meets her, she's already married to Haruka. According to his bio in the fanbook, when asked what his taste in women is, he says, "She's already married, so..."
- If You Ever Do Anything to Hurt Her...: In the anime, he says something to this extent to Kaname (referring to Yuuki, of course) in the final episode.
- Large Ham: Oh yes.
- Love at First Punch: Falls for Juuri after she defeats him in battle.Kaien: Well in any case... I'll just tell you that it... It was there that I found love at first sight!! ♥ ♥Little Zero and Ichiru: Where...?
- Master Support Characters: He is The Mentor to Yuuki, Zero, and even Kaname.
- Meaningful Name: Kaien means "ashes" (kai) and "village gate" (en). The kanji for en is used to Enma too, which is the ruler of the Underworld in Buddhist mythology. Cross (or Kurosu) is the Japanese pronunciation of "cross" and the kanji chosen for kurosu translates to "black" (kuro) and "master" (su).
- Megane: His trademark appearance. When the glasses come off, shit is about to go down.
- Oranyan: Shown in a flashback when he first meets Juuri; exactly how Zero is now.
- Parental Substitute: He became this for both Zero and Yuuki when they had nowhere else to go and their families were destroyed by vengeful Purebloods.
- Pervert Dad: Constantly comments on Yuuki's beauty, much to her chagrin. This may be due to how much she resembles Juuri.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Provides sufficient comedy to the story whenever things grow to depressing.
- Really 700 Years Old: Is actually over two hundred years old because of the vampire genes he has as a Vampire Hunter.
- Red Baron: "The Vampire Without Fangs."
- Slipknot Ponytail: Ties his long hair back to give an appearance of respect as the Chairman of an Academy. Loses it whenever he slips back into his hunter persona.
- Third-Option Love Interest: With Haruka and Rido as the Betty and Veronica for Juuri's affections, this leaves him as the Third-Option Love Interest.
- Vampire Hunter: Formerly one. Comes out of retirement at times to aid the heroes.
Voiced by: Hiroki Yasumoto (Japanese), Travis Willingham (English)
The Number One hunter at the Hunter's Association and Zero and Kaito's former teacher. In the past, his fiancee, who took care of Zero and Ichiru during their stay in a hospital, turned into a vampire and Touga was forced to execute her but not without losing his eye. He later comes to Cross Academy as a teacher at the insistence of his old friend Kaien Cross. While he was willing to kill Zero to spare him further pain that comes from being a vampire, he changes his mind after seeing Zero's resolve to fight on and Yuuki's insistence of protecting him. Later becomes co-president with Kaien at the Hunter Association, grooming Zero to take his place one day.
- Berserk Button: Let's just say he was not pleased when Kaien let it slip that Zero had to repeat a year of school.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Touga was quite the brat in Kaien's flashback.
- Eye Scream: He had his right eye torn out by a vampire. That vampire used to be his former fiancee.
- Eyepatch of Power: While the eyepatch doesn't give him extra powers, it makes him look quite intimidating.
- The Gunslinger: Extremely skilled with his shotgun. He was the one who taught Zero everything there is to know about shooting.
- Hot Teacher: On par with the Night Class in terms of handsomeness.
- Icy Blue Eyes: His eyes give off this impression and take on an eerie demeanor at night time. It still looks creepy and scary despite only have one left.
- Meaningful Name: Touga means "ten fangs" and Yagari meand "night" (ya) and "to harvest" (gari).
- The Mentor: To Zero, Ichiru, and Kaito.
- Papa Wolf: Harm Zero in any way and there'll be hell to pay.
- Parental Substitute: Along with Kaien, he's this for Zero.
- Ship Tease: Implied that he hooked up with Seiren in the final chapter. May be a result of saving her from falling rubble during Kaname's rampage on the Hunter's Building.
- Smoking Is Cool: Always seen with a cigarette.
- Troll: Casually insults his vampire students on his first day as a professor. When the lesson is over and he's about to leave, Touga non-nonchalantly blocks a knife thrown at his head with his book. He then gives a sarcastic smile and wishes the students well.
- Vampire Hunter: Next to Kaien, the strongest Vampire Hunter to date.
Voiced by: Mamoru Miyano (Japanese), Vic Mignogna (English)I'm so happy, I thought I was dead inside Zero's heart...
Zero's twin brother. Ichiru and Zero were once very close as children until Ichiru overheard their parents favoring Zero over him. He willingly went with Shizuka following her attack on the Kiryuu family and became her faithful servant/possible lover. After Shizuka loses her life, Ichiru wandered about without a purpose until he learned that Rido brought about his former master's death. Though he fails to avenge her, he sacrifices his life so that Zero can halt his process into becoming a Level E vampire, power up by taking back the "Twin's power" and finally reconciles with his beloved brother.
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: A sibling like example. No matter what each brother said or did to each other, Ichiru still loved Zero will all his heart and vice versa. Which makes it all the more terrible when Ichiru dies.
- Kaien even notes one time that when Ichiru was annoying Zero by glomping on him, if Zero really wanted him off, he would've used force. He didn't.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Which led to his Undying Loyalty for Shizuka.
- Curtains Match the Window: Identical to Zero.
- Death Equals Redemption: Upon dying from a wound Rido gave him, he subtly tells Zero that he still cares for his brother and gives his life to save him.
- Happiness in Slavery: He stays content by Shizuka's side as her servant.
- Ill Boy: Ichiru was known for always being sickly. Shizuka's blood heals him of this.
- Likes Older Women: According to his bio in the fanbook, his taste in women is "a beautiful, older woman," likely indicating Shizuka.
- Meaningful Name: Ichiru translates to "one" (ichi) and "thread" (ru). Kiryuu translates to "auger"/"drill" (ki) and "life"(ryuu).
- Mistress and Servant Boy: With Shizuka.
- New Transfer Student: And more well-liked in the Day Class than Zero to boot.
- Polar Opposite Twins: With Zero.
- Purple Eyes: Shares this with his twin.
- The Resenter: Resented the fact that their parents favored Zero. The tragedy is that this is what he perceived; his parents actually loved him very much, a fact he only understood with his dying breath.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Zero; Zero is moody, Ichiru is more cheerful, Zero hates vampires, Ichiru loves Shizuka, Zero is good with a gun, Ichiru is good with a sword, etc.
- Single-Minded Twins: Kaien spazzes out when he notices that the twins entered the room with the same pose.
- Subordinate Excuse: Quite possibly to Shizuka.
- Theme Twin Naming: 'Zero' literally means 'zero' and the 'Ichi' in 'Ichiru' means 'one'.
- The Unfavorite: He thinks that he is this to everyone. He couldn't have been more wrong.
- Undying Loyalty: Towards Shizuka. Despite Shizuka's cold indifference towards him, she actually appreciated Ichiru's company.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Sweeter even than Zero. Then his insecurities and Shizuka's influence caught up with him...
And now we have a little lamb... joining the party.
A fellow hunter and an old friend of Zero's who returns to Cross Academy as a teacher-in-training. Similar to Zero, he hates vampires with a passion, though he's willing to do more dirty and pragmatic things to get the job done. Whatever his character faults, he does care for Zero and treats him like family at times.
- Ascended Extra: Kaito was originally a character from a Vampire Knight novel but the author loved him so much that she inserted his character into the main story proper.
- Batman Gambit: He used Yori as bait for the purebloods during a vampire ball to test Zero's reactions.
- Canon Immigrant: Kaito originally appeared in the light novel based on the series, written by Ayuna Fujisaki. When Hino Matsuri wanted to add another Vampire Hunter character into her story, she liked Kaito so much that she asked Fujisaki for permission use him.
- The Chessmaster: Like Kaname, Kaito doesn't hesitate in using people like pawns if means a goal is reached. Case in point: he brings Yori into a party full of amoral vampires, knowing that if she's attacked, it would get a rise out of Zero, as well as giving him an excuse to kill.
- Guile Hero: Kaito is quite savvy about the politics and worldview of the vampires and Hunter Association; with this knowledge, he's able to stay a few steps ahead of his enemies.
- Hot Teacher: Attends the university as a teacher-in-training.
- I'll Kill You: His warning to Zero.Zero: When you first showed up at the academy, I initially thought you had come to kill me... the way you killed your own older brother.Kaito: Oh, believe me, Zero. If you get violent and I think you might harm me... I'll definitely kill you...
- Old Friend: Of Zero's. He briefly trained under Yagari alongside Zero and Ichiru.
- Staking the Loved One: Killed his brother after he was turned into a vampire.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Was willing to endanger Yori to test Zero's capability of a future association president.
- Vampire Hunter: Hinted to be as powerful as his teacher, Touga.
... I believe in you, Aidou-senpai.
A Day Class student with a crush on Kaname. After attempting to sneak in the Moon Dormitory, the Night Class students — Aidou, Kain, Ruka, and Ichijou in particular — take an interest in Fuuka and let her visit the dorm at night. As these visits progress, a mystery surrounding Fuuka begins to unveil itself. She is introduced in the VK light novel Vampire Knight: Ice Blue no Tsumi.
- A Death in the Limelight: The whole point of her story is exploring the tragedy in falling to an unrecoverable state and the despair that comes from being put down by a loved one. However, her death served to show that Aidou is not completely as heartless as he portrays himself to be.
- Anguished Declaration of Love/Dying Declaration of Love:Fuuka: What would you think if I were to say... I love you?Aidou: You're too honest... I'm sorry...Fuuka: Never mind. I... I... I love you, sempai. And that's why I'm happy... to die in your arms...
- Because You Were Nice to Me: She feels this way towards Aidou because of how he was her only ally—having rescued her so several times and was the only person who was honest with her. So, naturally, this is why she asks Aidou to be the one who kills her.
- Break the Cutie: One of the sweetest characters introduced in the series and the knowledge that she's going to become an unrepentant, uncontrollable monster breaks her.
- Kill the Cutie: Before she falls to Level E, she requests for Aidou to execute her. He does.
- Broken Masquerade: Becomes a vampire and all it entails, including the eventual fall...
- Death by Origin Story: Her death serves to change Aidou's personality, if even just a little bit.
- Death Seeker: Asks Aidou to kill her, so she will not turn into a Level E vampire.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Dies in the arms of her beloved Aidou.
- Distressed Damsel: Aidou works diligently to make sure that Fuuka doesn't turn into a Level E. He fails and is forced to kill her.
- Doomed by Canon: Vampire Knight: Ice Blue no Tsumi takes place around a year or so before the main story takes place, so I wonder why this new character Fuuka hasn't shown up yet. ... Oh, that's why.
- Exact Eavesdropping: Just when she visits the Moon Dormitory to ask what kind of chocolates Aidou likes for St. Xocolatl's Day to give him "thank you" chocolates for rescuing her, she overhears Aidou, Kain, Ruka, and Ichijou discussing the experimental pill's effect on her, and they reveal that she is an ex-human vampire and the pills were an attempt to slow down the vampire process.
- Dying as Yourself: Would rather die by Aidou's hand as herself than be hunted down as a Level E vampire.
- Fangirl: For Kaname. Later for Aidou as well.
- Genki Girl: Very energetic and happy, similar to Yuuki.
- Go Out with a Smile: Gives one last smile before she passes away.
- The Gwen Stacy: Hinted to be Aidou's first love.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With her best friend Kanae.
- Hopeless Suitor: For Kaname.
- I Am a Monster: When she discovers she is an ex-human vampire.
- Ill Girl: Throughout the light novel, Fuuka has not been feeling well and seems to be suffering from anemia. This is actually the effects of her eventual descent to a Level E vampire.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Fuuka's optimism serves to open Aidou up a bit more to the world.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Her reaction after she drinks Kanae's blood to the point where Kanae faints from blood loss.
- Na´ve Everygirl: As the trope name says, Fuuka is extremely innocent and naive to the things around her.
- New Transfer Student: She had been transferred to Cross Academy from another high school following the summer holidays.
- Plucky Girl: Enough to sneak into the Moon Dormitory to find Kaname's room, so she'll be the first to give him chocolates for St. Xocolatl's Day.
- Posthumous Character: Dies before the story begins proper.
- Protectorate: To Aidou.
- Second Love: She has a crush on the mysterious and forlorn Kaname, but she ends up falling in love with the initially difficult but very dependable Aidou.
- Ship Tease: With Aidou.
- Tomato in the Mirror: She turns out to be an ex-human vampire.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Only lasts one novel and hasn't been seen or referred to since. At least, Kaito became added to the main story following his first appearance in a novel.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: She was revealed to have been bitten by a pureblood vampire following an accident. The pureblood saved Fuuka's life and altered her memories, but as a result, she was gradually turning into a Level E vampire.
Voiced by: Fumiko Orikasa (Japanese), Wendee Lee (English)
A pureblood vampire who murdered Zero's parents and turned Zero into a vampire. She is infamously known as the "Kuruizaki-hime." During her long life of living in a cage and feeding on humans, she met one who did not shy away nor found her repulsive for her true nature. She quickly fell in love with the man and turned him into a vampire so that she can go on with a life partner. However, this serves to piss off her fiancee, Rido, and in an act of cruelty, Rido manipulated the Hunter's Association to kill the vampire. The Kiryuus' were the hunters who committed the deed and wallowing in despair and anger, Shizuka broke free of her cage and attacked them, leaving only Zero as the sole survivor and fueling his hatred for vampires since. She returns with her loyal servant, Ichiru, in the body of her distant relative, Maria Kurenai.After much mayhem and chaos, Shizuka was able to return to her original body but was wounded by Zero and finally killed by Kaname. Kaname himself commits the taboo of feeding on another Pureblood, despite being one himself and she warns him that despite the great powers he will achieve as a result of the blood, things will not end well for him in the end. She finally dies in the arms of her faithful servant, Ichiru.
- Alas, Poor Villain: Shizuka herself isn't inherently a bad person but circumstances and her own temper drove her to commit the deeds that she did. After learning who really orchestrated her former lover's death, she made it her goal to take revenge on the bastard but died before she could do so.
- Arranged Marriage: Was arranged to marry Rido Kuran. Rejects him for a random stranger she turned vampire.
- Berserk Button: Not being shown any type of respect; she will attempt to make you pay, as Aidou and Zero learned the hard way.
- Break His Heart to Save Him: Shizuka notes how frustrated Ichiru is that he is almost always kept at an emotional arms length from her and the fact that he is still a human when he voices his desire to become a vampire in order to serve and be with Shizuka forever. However, in truth, she refuses to turn him due to realizing that she grew to love her guardian and that forcing the curse of a vampire's existence on him would only bring future despair.
- Cry Cute: As malicious as she can be, Shizuka is capable of genuine sadness, particularly when she lost her first lover and is seen weeping over his ashes. This leads to be a proving factor in building the bond between her and Ichiru when they first met; Shizuka notes how miserable he is with his life and Ichiru retorts back that she's crying tears of sadness as well.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Died in Ichiru's arms.
- Disc One Final Boss: The first truly villainous character introduced with a hand in the plot, though she's defeated halfway through the first arc.
- Every Girl Is Cuter with Hair Decs: Shizuka has long wavy hair with oriental decorations strewn throughout giving her both a noble yet childlike appearance. Suits her as Shizuka is known to "play" with her peers. Her trademark ribbon is fitted with a bell, which she passes on to Ichiru after her death.
- Femme Fatale: Loves seducing and flirting with the Kiryuu twins. Only Ichiru had any feelings for her and maybe vice-versa.
- Hime Cut: Her hair looks the traditional Japanese appearance, as she is known as a princess.
- Ice Queen: Treats everyone with cold indifference. Only Ichiru is shown with more respect.
- In the Blood: Characters in the story note that Shizuka's family blood line were known to go "berserk" and kill everything around them, hence the need for her to reside in a cage all her life.
- Meaningful Name: Shizuka means "calm and quiet." Hio means "scarlet" (hi) and "cherry blossoms (ou). Her Red Baron name Kuruizaki-hime translates to "flowers of the blooming season" (kuruizaki) and "princess" (hime).
- Mistress and Servant Boy: Shizuka and Ichiru. Their relationship even borders on being lovers, albeit a twisted kind.
- Pet the Dog: Refused to turn Ichiru into a vampire due to her love for the boy, however much she tries to deny it.
- Purple Eyes: Colored pictures shows that as Maria, she has startling purple eyes. In her original body, her eyes are blood red.
- Rapunzel Hair: Shizuka's hair is abundant and long, almost reaching towards the floor.
- Really 700 Years Old: As a pureblood, she's destined to live forever and keep her natural beauty.
- Red Baron: The "Kuruizaki-hime."
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Her attack on the Kiyruu family was because they were the ones who murdered her manservant lover, who was a vampire who was once a human and was falsely placed on the hunter's execution list as a Level E.
- Together in Death: Noting how much grief she was about to leave Ichiru in, she offers him her blood as a way to "stay" forever inside him. This becomes important later when Ichiru dies and gives both his blood and by proxy Shizuka's blood to Zero, thus permanently halting his descent into Level E.
- Woman in White: Her trademark attire is a white kimono.
Voiced by: Mai Nakahara (Japanese), Laura Bailey (English)Please... If Zero sees Ichiru, ask him... to tell Ichiru that I want to see him.
A young girl and a distant relative to Shizuka Hio. She transfers to Cross Academy while possessed by Shizuka, with the promise that Shizuka will cure her weak constitution she's always had since birth. This wish goes unfulfilled after her relative's death; nevertheless, she continues to attend Cross Academy, taking special interest in Zero, due to her love for Ichiru.
- Animal Eye Spy: One of her specialties is that she can possess small animals and see through their eyes; her favorite seem to be owls.
- Creepy Child: When possessed by Shizuka Hio, she's cold and ruthless, if a bit playful. Outside possession, this trope gets subverted and she's quite the quiet and normal girl.
- Dark Magical Girl: When possessed by Shizuka, Maria can kick ass but only for a brief while.
- Grand Theft Me: When possessed by Shizuka Hio, though she gives consent for Shizuka to possess her.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Dresses like a traditional Lolita, complete with umbrella, though her attire is in white instead of black.
- Every Girl Is Cuter with Hair Decs: Similar to Shizuka, Maria wears ribbons and ornaments in her hair.
- Freaky Fashion, Mild Mind: Possessed by Shizuka, to outsiders, she looks kind and tame, until you speak with her and get to know her...Eventually subverted when she goes back to normal.
- HeelľFace Turn: Joins the good guys after Shizuka's death though she wasn't evil to begin with and holds no ill will towards Zero and Yuki. They in turn treat her like a friend.
- Hime Cut: As a relative to Shizuka, this trademark hair is a staple for her family.
- Ill Girl: Similar to Ichiru in his youth, Maria has a weak constitution, even for a vampire.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Lives in a mansion with her parents though she yearns for friends at the Cross Academy.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Though in her defense, this is pretty much while Shizuka was in her body.
- Meaningful Name: Her surname Kurenai means "crimson."
- Moe Stare: Maria is quite beautiful and is able to pull off the cutest stares.
- Na´ve Everygirl: The real Maria is sweet and innocent and behave naively to others.
- New Transfer Student: Possessed by Shizuka, Maria attends the Academy in an effort to gain information. After Shizuka's death, the transfer is still permanent, as Maria herself has no desire for revenge or violence.
- No Sense of Personal Space: She tends to do this with Yuuki, whether she's possessed or not.
- Perky Goth: Dresses like a Lolita, yet she doesn't brood like one.
- Purple Eyes: Her normal eye color.
- The Rival: In Chapter 72, she suggests she'll "snatch" Zero away from Yuuki if the latter doesn't want him. It's notable since she's not too particularly fond of Zero, but her suggestion may have to do with Zero's resemblance to Ichiru and Ichiru technically being "one" with Zero.
- Ship Tease: According to her bio in the fanbook, her taste in men is "Ichiru." Later shows in interest in Zero because of his resemblance to his twin.
There are few purebloods left in this world... so we must support each other.
A pureblood vampire who is good friends with Kaname. She is introduced towards the end of the first half of the story and later becomes the main antagonist in the second half of the story. After kidnapping a wounded Ichijo and "forcing" him to become her servant, Sara notes that she is willing to do anything to stay on top of the food chain as she doesn't want to die alone and forgotten like the rest of the Purebloods in the story, intending to become Queen of all Purebloods. Her hobbies includes coming up with manipulative schemes, teasing Ichijo and turning innocent girls into her obedient slaves. She is later killed when the remains of the Hooded Woman stabs her through the heart and she shares one final tender moment with Ichijo.
- Alliterative Name: "S"ara "S"hirabuki
- Arranged Marriage: Has a fiance named Ouri who she indirectly murdered in order to obtain his powers.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Looks like she's being set up as the next major villain.... and does absolutely nothing in the end. Yeah, the implication that she wanted to be the Queen of the Purebloods? That was all a bunch of hot air.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Acts majestic and kind but she's 100% pure bitch.
- Enigmatic Minion: We have no idea what she's up to or why, but it has something to do with Kaname since she captured Ichijou out of the purpose of getting information on Kaname. It's revealed that she "wants to be Queen"—whatever that means is anybody's guess, but it's very likely that she desires to be the Queen of the Purebloods.
- Light is Not Good: Loves wearing bright white clothing and surrounding herself with innocence. She's anything but.
- Manipulative Bitch: Similar to Kaname and all the other malicious purebloods, she loves coming up with plans to force people to do what she wants; she plays the vulnerable helpless type to get the Hunter Association to protect her from Kaname's rampage and tries to get Zero to kill Kaname personally by promising him her blood for the sake of a power boost.
- Meaningful Name: Sara means "renew." Shirabuki means "white" (shira) and "butterbur" (buki), which is a plant with white flowers.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair is even longer than Shizuka's.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Readers never get a chance to find out Sara's motivations throughout the story; even Shizuka and Rido have more character than she does.
- The Worf Effect: Sara dies rather easily and pathetically despite being a Pureblood vampire, since she didn't really put put much a fight despite copying Kaname and absorbing the powers of another Pureblood.
- Woman in White: Her signature attire is an all white dress.
Voiced by: Mariko Kouda (Japanese)It happened so fast that I didn't have time to hold back my power... I couldn't take the risk, because there's a life growing inside me that I had to protect at all costs...
Kaname's and Yuuki's mother, Juuri is the wife of Haruka, as well as being his sibling along with her big brother Rido. Supposedly, Haruka's and Juuri's deaths were the result of suicide but tt was later revealed that they were murdered by Rido instead. Juuri sacrifices her life to transform her daughter Yuuki into a human and erases her memories in order to protect her from vampires who would abuse to power of Purebloods.
- Action Mom: Juuri can kick ass when she wants to. Just ask Kaien, who was defeated with one kick.
- Brother-Sister Incest: Married her brother Haruka.
- Curtains Match the Window: Similar to Yuuki and all the Kurans, she has brown hair and eyes.
- Driven to Suicide: Juuri kills herself in order to provide the cost neccessary to cast a powerful spell that alters Yuuki's race from a vampire into a human.
- Happily Married: To Haruka.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Which is why she enrolled in a human high school when she was younger.
- Mama Bear: Practically the only example in the entire series.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: With Haruka.
- Rapunzel Hair: Like all female Purebloods, her hair is long as hell.
- Really 700 Years Old: Was about three thousand years old before she finally died.
- Rebellious Princess: Juuri is known to take matters into her own hands, even against the wishes of her husband, who wanted her to stay inside to protect her from harm. It took great pains for her to sneak out and seek out her old friend Kaien.
- Say It with Hearts: Oh so much with Haruka and her. Complete with Love Bubbles too.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: With Haruka, but they make it look adorable. That is, if you forget about the, er... squicky-ness of it.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Which is probably why she chose Haruka over Kaien and Rido. Though to be fair to Kaien, Juuri was already married to Haruka and their meeting was the catalyst that started Kaien's change in personality; had Juuri met the Kaien we all know and love today and she wasn't married to Haruka, who knows what might've happened...
- A bonus chapter shows why Rido never had a chance in hell: apparently he likes when Juri resists him and he can't get enough of the hate in her eyes every single time they clash, which meant he was an evil monster to her on purpose.
- Tsundere: Especially dere-dere for Haruka, though at first she was emphasizing the "Tsun" part.
- Umbrella of Togetherness: A whole flashback side chapter revolved around this idea—with her looking back on it with both irritation and fondness. When it was raining while she attended a human high school, she got really irritated that Haruka would follow her home and even hid all the umbrellas except for the one he was carrying. When she demanded for an explanation, Haruka replied—Haruka: It's because I wanted to share an umbrella with you...Juuri: ... Are you stupid?!
- Unwanted Harem: Is The Archie in two love triangles—Haruka/Juuri/Rido and Haruka/Juuri/Kaien.
How can I stay behind and let my child protect me? Don't destroy my pride of being a father, please.
Kaname's and Yuuki's father, Haruka is the husband of Juuri. Supposedly, Haruka's and Juuri's deaths were the result of suicide. It was later revealed that they were murdered by Rido instead. He is also Rido's and Juuri's brother.
- Brother-Sister Incest: Married his sister Juuri.
- Curtains Match the Window: A staple of all Kuran men - brown hair and eyes.
- Happily Married: To Juuri.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Ends up dying when he's impaled through the heart with a Hunter's sword, one of the few things that can kill a Pureblood.
- Keet: Downplayed but Haruka is known to act somewhat more feminine and lively than Juuri at times.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: With Juuri.
- Papa Wolf: Do not mess with his children. You will die.
- Really 700 Years Old: Lives to be three thousand before dying at Rido's hands.
- Say It with Hearts: Oh so much with Juuri and him. Complete with Love Bubbles too.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: With Juuri, but they make it look adorable. That is, if you forget about the, er... squicky-ness of it.
- Youngest Child Wins: Haruka isn't the youngest child, but he is the youngest brother who ended up winning the affections of his sister Juuri over his older brother Rido.
Alike... You look like Juuri. I've changed my mind. You will replace Juuri, and let me love you.
Rido is the true main antagonist for the first half of the story. He is also Shiki's father and the older brother of Haruka and Juuri. Rido had unrequited feelings for Juuri and was resentful of Haruka's and Juuri's marriage. Rido returns to Cross Academy in order to devour Yuuki and take her power. He is also the one who resurrected the Ancestor of the Kurans — Kaname — from his grave. Thus, Kaname is unable to kill him. After possessing his son and infiltrating Cross Academy to revive his true body, he wreaks havoc with his legion of slave vampire and attempts to take Yuuki as his new wife after her revival as a Pureblood. Thanks to Zero helping her out, Rido was finally defeated and killed, though not before a bit of his blood was absorbed by Kaname, which to this day, taunts him with the dilemma of his decisions.
- Arranged Marriage: Was arranged to marry Shizuka Hio but she leaves him for someone else. He kills the poor bastard.
- Big Bad: Of the first half of the story.
- Brother-Sister Incest: Has unrequited feelings for his sister Juuri, who instead married their other brother Haruka.
- The Chessmaster: Oh so much.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Hates Haruka with a passion for "stealing" away Juuri.
- Creepy Uncle: He was more than willing to live out his incestuous fantasy for his sister through his niece. Ew.
- Defeat Equals Explosion: In both the manga and anime, although portrayed differently, this is his final fate at the hands of Zero.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Even before he was ever mentioned, he first appears possessing a young boy who Yuuki meets and leads her into a vampire ball. One can tell it's him due to the red and blue eyes the boy had at the time.
- Evil Uncle: The uncle of Yuuki and Kaname.
- Love Makes You Crazy: Willing to do anything to get Juuri to like him, even the most insane things. In a bonus chapter, Juri telling him why she doesn't want to be with him because of his psychotic nature doesn't deter him; in fact, it makes him want her more!
- Love Makes You Evil: Doesn't care how heinous his actions are, if it nets him Juuri, it's worth it.
- Really 700 Years Old: Older than Haruka and Juuri, as he was the eldest and they were both around 3000 years old at the time of their deaths.
- The Resenter: Very much indeed. Disliked the fact that his arranged fiancee Shizuka Hio was in love with a vampire who used to be a human enough that he imprisoned Shizuka and falsely placed Shizuka's lover on the Level E list so that he would be killed by the hunters. Oh, and he was a sore loser about the whole Haruka/Juuri thing too.
- Yandere: Because Love Makes You Crazy And Evil.
The Hooded Woman
I cannot forgive the person who forgot his purpose in life and played with those weak, yet strong, lives that instinctively continued to hope. There's no way I could silently keep watching.
A woman from Kaname's past. She sacrificed herself to forge the first weapons for the Hunters to wield. Introduced in the second arc and her spirit reappears again through the Hunter Metal in an attempt to kill all rouge vampires. Her first kill in this form was Sara Shirabuki and the woman would've continued on if not for the fact that it was reassured that Kaname would continue her work and she passed on peacefully.
- Closer to Earth: Can see the bigger picture and plans accordingly.
- The Gwen Stacy: The Ancestor of all Kuran's first love and he loses her due to cruel fate.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Sacrifices her life to give the humans a fighting chance against the growing threat of the renegade Pureblood vampires and their brethren.
- Implied Love Interest: She and Kaname were implied to have had feelings for one another, but to what extent is unknown.
- No Name Given: We never did find out her name.
- Posthumous Character: Kaname refers to her as his main and true motivation for his long life.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair is huge
Ai Kuran and Ren Kiryuu
One girl and one boy in the last pages of the final chapter after a thousand years have passed since the story of Vampire Knight has come to an end. They appear to be in their late teens look-wise, but it's unknown how much older they most likely are. Both are children of Yuuki but they both have different fathers, which makes them half-siblings. After Zero's death, Yuuki shortly sacrifices her own life to revive and transform Kaname into a regular human, tasking her dutiful children to watch over Kaname for the rest of his days.
- Ambiguous Gender: It's really not easy to tell whether Ren is a boy or girl.
- Babies Ever After: While they're teenagers (in appearance), they would serve as this.
- Brother-Sister Team: Both Ai and Ren are rarely seen without each other in their teenage years, constantly cuddling with each other in order to comfort one another. It remains to be seen whether it's pure sibling love or as intimate lovers.
- The Cutie: Ai was essentially this as a child, especially whenever she's around Zero.
- Curtains Match the Window: Ai has brown eyes and hair and Ren has silver eyes and hair.
- First Love: Unsurprisingly, Ai grows up first loving her adoptive father Zero normally, then goes on to develop deeper feelings for the man. She later gives up when she realizes she has no chance of breaking Zero and Yuuki apart, though she continues to love Zero.
- Finishing Each Other's Sentences: Siblings have a habit of doing this with each other, most likely due to their close relationship growing up.
- No Name Given: Until different bonus chapters revealed the brown-haired girl's name to be Ai, and the silver-haired to be Ren.
- Parental Abandonment: When we see them, Zero is dead, and Yuuki sacrifices herself to make Kaname human, apparently leaving him in their care.
- Precocious Crush: Ai adores Zero as her father figure growing up, and eventually crushes on him when she becomes a teen. In the end she backs off as she realizes his only love is her mother.
- Really 700 Years Old: Ai is about a thousand years old while her half brother's age remains unknown, though it probably applies to her as well.
- Who's Your Daddy?: It was unknown to the readers whether Ai was biologically Zero's or Kaname's, until the release of an extra which confirmed her to be Kaname's. This still doesn't stop Ai from thinking of Zero as her father, even more so than Kaname, since Zero was there to raise her all her life growing up.
- Yandere: Downplayed and treated as a joke by Ai when she voices her desire to make Zero hers. Failing that, she wants Zero and Yuuki to hurry up and conceive a child already so she can make her sibling all hers; it's revealed that she wants to dress her sibling up in all the clothes she wants and take as much blood from them to her hearts content. Whether or not she did this with Ren is unknown.