Characters / Brigandine
Here's the characters from the cult classic game Brigandine
. There's a lot of them.
Ruler of New Almekia. Former Prince of the old Almekia who fled to Padstow after Zemeckis destroyed his Kingdom. Bright, kind, just, but kind of reckless and naive when it comes to ruling (at first). He starts out as a Level 1 Prince, but eventually can promote into a King.
Lance's most trusted aide. He has fought over 100 battles and is widely known throughout Forsena. His master is Esclados of the Esgares' Big 4.
- The Lancer: To Prince Lance
- Older Sidekick
- Red Baron: Japanese-only, as explained in GE. Gereint didn't merely fight over 100 battles. His nickname is "Gereint of the 100 Battles"
- The Rival: To Luintail of Norgard.
- Samurai: His class (Swordmaster in Japanese)
The old king of Padstow, loyal to Henguist and the old Almekia, so when Lance arrives, he relinquished the throne of Padstow and made it into New Almekia for Lance. He's a wise, if old, king, loved by his men.
- Badass Grandpa: At least at the beginning of the game where most of the generals are fairly weak and low leveled, this guy starts off at a relatively high level and has a decent rune power.
- Cool Old Guy: Remains quite the jovial, insightful old man despite dethroning himself.
- Punny Name: Old King Coel is a merry old soul...
Prince of Padstow, son of Coel. While an excellent fighter, he is a bit short sighted when it comes to ruling and prefers doing things in 'Act first, think later'. He is bitter and jealous to Lance at first, but later on he eventually acknowledged that Lance is the better man.
- Black Knight: He wears black armor, and his starting class is Avenger.
- Can't Catch Up: Something he eventually admits.
- Crutch Character: Meleagant is a powerhouse at the beginning of the game, but later on, those lower leveled characters will surpass him, especially in Rune Power.
- Tsundere: He's very dismissive to Lance, but did eventually acknowledge him if Lance isn't looking, and eventually set aside his aloofness to fight against Ouroboros. Plus, Adilicia usually could hit him on the weak spots.
The lady Knight who saved Lance from imminent demise from Zemeckis. She's known as 'Shooting Star Halley' and wanders through Forsena in search of Bulnoil who killed her boyfriend Leland AKA Cador
. She will join New Almekia eventually by default, but she can join any country in Grand Edition Multiplayer, or join any of your country (even Esgares or Iscalio) after unification to stand a chance against Bulnoil.
A Lancer from Padstow who's usually personable, but in battle, she's known as the 'Death Lady'. She seems to be real good friends with Meleagant and often teases him. She's one of 'Three Beauties of Almekia'.
A sorceress from Padstow who dreamed on being the best magician of Forsena. She cares a lot about Lance and tends to act like a big sister for him. She's one of the 'Three Beauties of Almekia' (or in fact, she started it). In the GE New Almekia ending, she ends up becoming an instructor in magic studies of Almekia, alongside Gilsus
- Cool Big Sis: Tends to nag at Lance like a big sister.
- Cute Witch
- Face–Heel Turn: Not in the Story Mode, but in Multiplayer latter scenarios, despite Esgares being the one to defeat New Almekia and Lance went to Caerleon, Carlota went to Norgard instead.
- To Be a Master: Wants to be the best magician in Forsena.
A nun from Padstow. She seems meek and unassuming, but Adilicia thinks that she's merely a wolf in sheep's clothing. Also one of the 'Three Beauties of Almekia'.
Womanizing wizard from Padstow who hits on pretty much every girls he comes across, but is pretty strict with men. Ends up becoming a magic instructor along with Carlota in the GE New Almekia ending.
The youngest of the Rand siblings who swore to uphold their family name by serving different countries. However, Liguel deeply just wanted to reunite with her family.
- Punch Clock Hero: She prioritizes the reunion with her family instead of sticking with New Almekia. While she can bring Castor of Esgares to her side, she can ALSO pull a Face–Heel Turn if she meets Miguel of Iscalio alone without Castor (on the other hand, if both Castor and Miguel met Liguel, they're the ones defecting to her side).
He has served in the palace for a long time, but his arrogance sees him passed up for promotion often. Son of the greatest Cavalier ever seen in Padstow, which tends to overshadow his accomplishments.
- Took a Level in Badass: He starts out at Level 6 with the worst rune growth in the game, but once he reaches Level 10 and is changed to a Cavalier, he can be sent on a quest to go home and speak with his mother, which nets him his father's sword (an equipable item) and raises his rune growth.
Born and raised in Padstow, he is known as the 'Ogre Of Padstow' for his fierce way of fighting. Although he intimidates those who do not know him, he has a gentle heart.
The mentor of Melegeant, he was feared during his prime and is known as 'Brusom The Gale'.
Glauze is from a family who used to work for Almekia, but his father was falsely accused of a crime and was banished from the country. They were taken in by King Coel and still have hostility for Almekia, which leads Glauze to be unsure about Prince Lance.
Prince Lance's number one fan, his stated goal is to become King someday, and his pure heart and determination endear him to most everyone in the palace because it reminds them of their own childhood.
Ruler of Caerleon, known as the 'Silent Wise King'. He may act a bit dorky, but he's a wise king otherwise. Rules alongside his sister Merriot... Although it turns out he's not of royal blood but adopted.
- The Archmage: A unique class, 'Warlock', with unique spell list. Appropriately, has one of the highest INT and MP in the game.
- Badass Bookworm
- Heavy Sleeper: Had trouble in waking up early, and Merriot usually became his clock for it.
- Nice Hat
- Not Blood Siblings
- Red Baron: "Silent Wise King"
- Red Mage: He has both offensive and healing/support spells in his arsenal. While the latter wasn't as advanced as a Priest's, his offensive spells are some of the best in the game, and he has high enough MP to cast it often and the INT to make it hurt.
- Squishy Wizard
- Throw the Book at Them: Or rather, bonk them with it. This is how he's even physically weaker than the local White Mage. Of course, that's not what you need to watch out for him...
Cai's tomboyish sister. She's bubbly, cheerful and sweet, taking care of most of the housework. It turns out that she's the only one who has royal blood, and her late parents' last will is for her and Cai to get married.
- Game-Breaking Injury: A while after Esgares is defeated, a cutscene will occur where Bulnoil suddenly appears and tries to kill Cai, but Merriot takes the hit. In a rare subversion of Gameplay and Story Segregation, she's actually injured and can't be used in fights or sent out on quests until Caerlon takes over another country.
- Tomboy Princess
The best Knight in Forsena known as 'Knight Master'. He's a real good friend with Cai and refused to serve anyone else except Cai. Of course that means nearly everyone wants a piece of him in battle.
Advisor of the late King of Caerleon, and still advises Cai as best as he can. He's actually keeping the secret about Cai's birthright and the previous King's last will about Cai and Merriot
The ruler of Norgard, known as 'White Wolf of Norgard', inheriting the throne from King Doremiditt after his fall, and formed a truce with Almekia to rebuild Norgard. The rebellion by Zemeckis provided him the chance to seize the continent, and he attempts with gusto. Aloof, pragmatic, but still puts great care and trust on his subordinates.
The Princess of Norgard who couldn't take the throne because it's against the Norgard laws. As a result, she's bitter at Vaynard and usually doesn't have much nice words to him. However, secretly, she was grateful with what Vaynard did to the country.
Vaynard's most trusted vassal who's been by his side since the era of Doremiditt. Aside of a Knight, he's an accomplished strategist, and Vaynard thinks he'd fit better as a King, though Guinglain was perfectly content as advisor/vassal.
Another one of Norgard's elite knights, a pretty boy knight who is calm and quite understanding on Vaynard's commands. He's best buds with the much wilder Knight Palomides.
Yvain's best bud and companion in battle, Palomides is the opposite of him, reckless and Hot-Blooded
. Despite their differences, they work well as a team and he usually asks Yvain about stuffs he didn't understand about Vaynard's briefings.
Former Almekian magician. After the death of his brother by Zemeckis in rebellion, he fled Almekia, but went to Vaynard instead of Lance, whom he felt not ambitious enough. He ends up being Vaynard's secondary advisor (aside of Guinglain), but eventually retired after unification, thinking that a man filled with revenge is unfit to run a country.
- Face–Heel Turn: As Norgard is one of the 'bad guy' countries and he's from Almekia...
- Ambition Is Evil: Because Lance is too goody-goody without ambition, Morholt left him and joined the more ambitious Vaynard.
- Revenge: His motivation, he wants to avenge his dead brother.
- Sixth Ranger
A Norgard Knight who left after Vaynard took the throne, thinking that he is a bad successor to Doremiditt
. Once Vaynard proves his worth, he came right back to Vaynard's services. Seems to serve as a rival to New Almekia's Gereint.
- An Axe to Grind: Starts as a Berserker.
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: Once he came back, he praises Vaynard for his victory and begs to be reinstated even if in the lowest post. Good thing Vaynard already reserved a place for him.
- The Bus Came Back: He's nowhere in sight in the beginning of the game, but once Vaynard scored victory, he came right back begging to join.
- The Rival: For Gereint.
A girl blessed with angelic voice and undyingly loyal to Vaynard. However, she secretly hid a fatal sickness that looms to claim her life anytime, but wouldn't reveal that just so everyone are not worried about her.
- Ill Girl, Incurable Cough of Death: She's inflicted with a fatal sickness, but can still fight for Norgard even until Bulnoil. After that, she'll perish no matter what.
- Morality Pet: For Vaynard and Guinglain.
- Nice Gal
- Tragic Hero: Noie is a sweet girl with Undying Loyalty... to Vaynard, one of the 'bad guys', and she's able to bring on his good side at times. The problem is, she is inflicted with a fatal illness, but insist of going on for Vaynard's sake so others won't worry. In the end, she doesn't live long enough to see the unified Forsena under Vaynard, something he mourned for.
A minister of Norgard serving from Doremiditt and Vaynard. He's not in full agreement with Vaynard's new methods but eventually came to accept them (of course, being prodded by his daughter might be a reason)
- Grumpy Old Man: "Back in Doremiditt's days, the elders get to deal with the politics themselves, now with that young'un Vaynard in charge, he interferes with most of the politics! It's like he doesn't trust us!" He gets better, though, thanks to Elaine.
Roadbull's daughter, sweet and understanding even to Vaynard. She's also a good cook. Beneath her innocent look is a cunning side who's not afraid to sucker her own dad so he can be less grumpy for his own good.
- Crocodile Tears: If it means to get her father to listen to her reasoning, she'd use this with gusto.
- Magikarp Power: Elaine only starts at level 1, the lowest of Norgard. However, she can be raised as a potent and powerful Witch/Sage with decent Rune Power.
- Wise Beyond Their Years
A Knight of Norgard who's not really good with Runes, but makes it up with loyalty. She's an aide of Guinglain and probably had a secret crush on him. She also sings well (though not at the level of Noie)
The mediator of Norgard, bridging the opinions of the old pro-Doremiditt Knights and pro-Vaynard Knights. He is also good friends with Zerafin.
A survivor of the Battle of Lidney that took Doremiditt's life. He witnessed his King's death with his own eyes and considers himself a failure for it, although he's more than determined to protect his current liege as a result.
A hired Knight after Vaynard's rise. He's a man of few words, but usually gets his job done.
The lowest-ranked Knight of Norgard. Despite so, he continues to be bright. He admires Vaynard and dreams on becoming his right-hand man.
Ruler of Leonia. A former peasant girl seeing an oracle from the Gods and destined to become the Queen to the religious country. She's kind and loving, but sometimes felt unsure of herself. She prefers not to fight, but when threatened, she would fight as necessary.
Lyonesse's childhood friend who's been with her since her peasant days, and followed her when she became Queen. He is obviously in love with Lyonesse, but has troubles in spitting it out and is easily jealous at other competition (such as Asmit).
The Cardinal of Leonia who advises Lyonesse in political stuffs unfamiliar to them. A wise father figure to most Leonian Knights.
Otherwise known as 'Mr. Perfect'. A dedicated and serious vassal of Leonia. While he advises Lyonesse with much competence, he's completely oblivious of Kiloph's increasing jealousy at him, though he doesn't think about any romantic feelings about Lyonesse.
A friend of Lyonesse and Kiloph, he arrived at Leonia together with Baleen to become knights, stating that he wants to serve Lyonesse as well but actually he only followed Baleen just to protect her. He is also waiting for a moment to confess his feelings for Baleen who was also has feelings for Kiloph.
A friend of Lyonesse and Kiloph, claimed that she followed to serve as a knight for Lyonesse. In a certain scene later in the game (GE) she will admit that she joined knighthood just to be near Kiloph whom she is in love with.
Ruler of Iscalio, known as the 'Mad Monarch'. An extremely chaotic, selfish person who does things as he pleases and ridicules things like virtue and goodness, causing suffering to his people, but his generals respects him enough. While far from a good person, some evil people (like Bulnoil) can still piss him off...
A female knight found by Dryst and taken under his wing in the past. Cold and emotionless, she follows Dryst's orders without question and less words, earning her the nickname 'Killer Doll'. She turned out to be one of Bulnoil's puppets, who eventually got her own consciousness thanks to being with Dryst
A professional brown-noser to Dryst. However, unlike most Smug Snake
, Camden is competent when situations demands him to. Aside of brown-nosing Dryst, he spends his time not getting along with Ulster (and usually prevailing on Dryst's attention)
Iscalio's Only Sane Man
, the one guy who is genuinely caring about the welfare of the people. This being Iscalio, however, made him into the Butt Monkey
of pretty much everyone in the nation. It's a massive wonder on why he didn't leave Iscalio at all after such long period of mistreatment.
barbarian who is kind of like Dryst, only cares about having fun in battle. He's somewhat dumb, but he makes it up with his sheer strength, and usually he belittles those who use agility
in battle, not strength.
Ruler of Esgares. The mighty general of Almekia who won them in the last war against Norgard, but pulled a coup to turn Forsena into a place where soldiers like him don't lose their meaning. While he sounds like a power hungry tyrant, he does have a few soft spots, especially to his wife Esmeree.
The Death Knight who convinced Zemeckis to rebel. He personally killed Lance's father Henguist and served as Zemeckis' right-hand man and one of Esgares' Big 4 Generals. He is actually Leland, Halley's boyfriend, resurrected as Bulnoil's servant and eventually got him to turn against Zemeckis. He later had a rematch with Halley and regains his sanity, only to be killed by Bulnoil when he attempted to strike back at him, letting Halley escape
- Blood Knight
- Crutch Character: He is pretty powerful at the start of the game and can mop the floor with most other generals, but when you start getting other generals up to his level you find that he really isn't all that great...
- Not to mention he... leaves you if you're down to a few castles along with Eniede and MelTorefas. This is expanded further in Grand Edition, if Esgares have gained enough castles, he will leave.
- Dragon with an Agenda: He is really working for Bulnoil so that the fighting would continue and the Snake of Chaos would destroy the world.
- Dying as Yourself: He gets his sanity back at the end, only for him to make a final attack to Bulnoil and die by his new Death Knights.
Vaynard's big sister, sent as a hostage to Almekia at first, but eventually fell in love for real with Zemeckis, staying by his side at Esgares' formation, and even protected him from Bulnoil and Cador
. If Esgares is defeated, she chose to retire from the battlefield
The second best magician of Forsena (second after Cai, that is). He used to be calm and cool, but turned into cold and evil once Zemeckis pulled a coup. However, he still stays loyal and courteous with Zemeckis as his advisor. One of Esgares' Big 4 Generals.
- The Archmage: Famous enough that some characters (eg Janfadar) would challenge him in a combat.
Gereint's master in swordsmanship. For some reason, he develops quite the blood lust and thinks the sword is meant only for killing, thus he sided with Zemeckis. One of Esgares' Big 4 Generals.
One of Esgares' Big 4 Generals, attempted to oppose Zemeckis and imprisoned. However, once Cador took his leave, Esmeree freed him to protect Zemeckis.
Elder of the Belferes Twins, a tomboyish lady fighter with a spear. Due to her born a twin, they've been persecuted as bringers of misfortunes and Mira is more than determined to prove the rumors wrong.
The younger of the Belferes Twins, a sophisticated Cute Witch
. She's adopted to Ranguinus' family and became friends with his son Rain. Like her sister, she suffered because of the rumors about misfortune bringers.