Roses are red. Colorful
Violets are blue.
This show's about panties.
is a short series (16 episodes, each about seven minutes long) about males and their obsession with panties (and sometimes breasts). It's quick paced with little to nothing in the way of actual plot, focusing instead on delivering ecchi
humor in whatever way it can.
Not many characters show up more than once, and those that do lack depth. Among the recurring ones are Hirokawa and Itani (two college students), Yamamoto (a cute athletic girl), Yamamoto's coach, the English teacher, Steve (an American transfer student obsessed with photography), and Shimoi (a TV reporter).
As The Other Wiki
says, "Anime fanatics tend to either love or hate
the series as it is considered either wildly funny, or tasteless and depraved."
Not to be confused with the Japanese animated film also titled Colorful
This series provides examples of:
- Accidental Pervert: Jamie
- Actually Pretty Funny
- ADV Films: nowhere is their mythical "studio culture" better exemplified than in the DVD extras for this series.
- Affectionate Parody
- All Men Are Perverts: This is "All Men Are Perverts: The Series".
- Amusing Injuries
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: In one episode, there is a movie about a giant man with a camera. He shrinks back to normal when he spots a pantyshot. In a later episode, there's a 50 foot high school girl.
- Be Careful What You Wish For
- Bilingual Bonus
- Butterface: One of the running gags, frequently done by a Discretion Shot.
- Catch Phrase
- Deranged Animation
- Fan Disservice
- Funny Foreigner: Steve
- Generic Cuteness
- Getting Crap Past the Radar
- Girl in a Box: Connie/Prize B
- Gratuitous English, some of which is surprisingly good.
- Hand or Object Underwear
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Super Milk Chan herself is Aki Yamamoto in the english dub.
- Hot Librarian: Actually a hot English teacher.
- Imagine Spot
- Kotatsu: Neatly serves up the standard ecchi treatment.
- Male Gaze: The point of the series, both for the audience and as far as the male characters are concerned.
- Ms. Fanservice: Nearly every female in the entire show.
- Negative Continuity
- Ocular Gushers
- Panty Shot: Pretty much the whole point.
- Phenotype Stereotype: Steve (an American exchange student) and the school's English teacher are both blond-haired and blue-eyed.
- Poor, Predictable Rock
- Rapid-Fire Comedy
- Running Gag: Japan's exotic upside-down Fuji. Also, "L... R... L... R..."
- Shaggy Dog Story: The last episode plays out as a fanservice-free Out-of-Genre Experience, with the reporter character Shimoi presenting a special about a mysterious psychic, who appears at the end to display his powers. The psychic chants and gestures dramatically, there's an uncomfortable pause... and Shimoi's skirt falls down. Cue close-up of her underwear.
- Show Within a Show
- Stock Footage
- Theme Tune Cameo: The theme song plays on TV in one episode.
- Wingding Eyes
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Subverted, in that only the Prize B girl (who is a sentient, animate cutout of an anime character) has an unnatural hair color.
- Zettai Ryouiki