- Page: 2
Catches and Rivals
Lets take a look at Etta's stats and ability now. I would post a link to an image, but it seems the screenshot got overwritten. However, she has an ability called Barier. I didn't misspell that. That's how its written in game. Etta: Incompetence with engish aside, this is a useful ability for me. My stats cannot be reduced with this ability in place. Ohhh, I cannot WAIT to abuse this. Or at least watch the AI fail extensively. As usual of Fire Red, Oak is a lazy bastard, and doesn't give us any orbs to start off. Worse yet, the mart sells none. But...what's this? Oak hasn't picked up his parcel? When in doubt...blackmail! After some nudging, Oak decides it best to give us a few Tohou Orbs, in return for our most secret silence in regards to what he was having shipped to his lab. Custom balls indeed. All right, time to do some catching.
On Route 1, we encounter a beast type cNazrin. I'm naming her Leif, after my Nazrin in WL. Leif: Is...is there some reason you captured me, specifically? Yes. You were the first thing that I found. Leif: ...that is an odd way to decide things. Consider yourself a part of a...challenge. Something extra tough. Extra special. Leif: Well-in that case, lets get started! She comes with pickup, EXCELLENT. Yes, its every bit as abusable as one might hope. She is also holding a...green UFO? I...I don't even know. I'll figure it out later. Leif: My present is not appreciated? No no, its fine! *pats her*
On Route 22, we get a flying-type Tokiko. Note that they don't do that silly normal sub-type bullcrap that the normal pokemon games do. Not that normal EXISTS anymore anyway. I just got a Tokiko in WL, so I shall name this one Kish as well. She comes with Limber, which is...nice? The kinds of things that might paralyze her aren't really ones she would be fighting-but I guess Nature types might do that too. Kish: My limber physique should be admired, not criticized! Sure, dear. Whatever you say.
Reaching Route 2 means watching an old man showing me how to kidnapped little girls. Yes sir, that was VERY educational. Can I Leave Now? Right, Route 2, hunt for non-dupes... Tokiko, Nazrin, Nazrin, Nazrin, Tokiko....WHERE ARE MY NOT DUPES. ???: Looking for somebody? Oh, hello there Yousei. Welcome to the team! I love Daiyousei. They are sis's.Once again stealing from my WL run, she shall be dubbed Mura. She's a nature type, which is equivalent to grass in this game. Mura: Yer a strange one. But whatever ya say. Mura's just as fine a name as any.
Right, last catch for now, lets head to the forest. A Wriggle! Most excellent! I already have a name for-oh. Whoops. She fainted. Well that sucks. Etta: Ehehehe...sorry about that. I thought she could live through a second attack. It's all right. Accidents happen. So before we proceed, I'd like to take a moment to examine these new Boneka, and their evolutions. I will NOT do this for every Boneka I encounter, only the ones I capture and own myself. Mainly because if I did it for every-freaking-thing, I'd be here all day, and you'd be very bored.
First on our list is Etta!
- Alice: Special attacker, no suprise there. Evolves at 36.
- Attack Alice: Less balanced.
- Technician Alice: What?
Next up, Leif the Nazrin!
- Nazrin: Becomes Beast/Heart upon evolving at 25.
- Technician Nazrin: Eh? I can't figure out the theme in these technician evolutions.
- Helper Nazrin: Okay, I get this one.
- Tokiko: Stays pure flying, evolves at 25
- Attack Tokiko: So naturally she has this as an option.
And last, but certainly not least, Mura!
- Daiyousei: Stays pure nature, evolves at 28
- Attack Daiyousei: Of course this.
So for our first rival battle, we've got some training to do. I'll sum up the events that occurred.
- Etta got psyshot, a reason-type 40 power attack. Excellent. She's not difficult to train at all, and actually was already level nine when I started grinding.
- Leif is a little annoying to grind. Why? She's beast type. Beasts have an annoying amount of common weaknesses, namely to flying, fire, and water. They resist ghost and earth, that's it. Yaaaaay. Oh, and one of the two com mon's here is Tokiko, which is of course flying type. So I have to either switch-grind her for those, or run until I encounter other Nazrins. Fun.
- If your wondering why I'm bothering: Nazrin, and beast types in general, get a LOT of type coverage. They are similar to normal types, in that way. Beast itself is SE on ghost and faith, but most beasts can learn a lot of other moves. So for sheer type coverage, I want to keep Leif for awhile.
- Case in point, at level eight, Leif gets Thief. This does exactly what you think it does. This will be abused. Dark is now SE on reason-no surprise-and dream. It actually does not effect ghost anymore. Huh?
- Training Kish is much easier. She's flying type, and the routes are full of beast-type Nazrin. Peck, peck, and more peck. She also learned quick attack, which is now a flying type move.
- That could be dangerous. I'm going to have to be careful of what moves these Puppets are packing. Even if they have attacks I'm used to, they could be types I'm not expecting.
- Mura gets trained next. She learns gust, which is now a wind type move. That makes beating up on Tokiko much easier. Remember, wind is essentially electric now. Mura's type, Nature/Native, also resists beast, so she has a very easy time training in this area. Then she learns attract.
- No, sorry, correction: HE learns attract.
- By the way. In this game, Mura and her like are called 'Native' types. The wiki calls it Nature. I kind of prefer nature better, so I am likely to just refer to them as that. I'm not really sure why they went with native, it...doesn't make much sense, really. Its essentially grass type. I get shinto —> faith, but this, not so much. Ah well, moving on.
- No, sorry, correction: HE learns attract.
I tried playing this game on a couple occasions. The first time, I chose Sanae, and became obsessed with trying to defeat the rival battle on route 22. The second, I chose Reisen, and I stopped playing after my save file glitched out and reverted to a save that was a couple hours before I had actually last saved. So yeah, I've become convinced that Touhoumon 1.8 enjoys seeing me suffer, so I'll instead see it play out by watching it make someone else suffer. Best of luck to you.
Thank you very much! Hopefully I won't suffer TOO much, if you don't mind. XD
- Page: 2