History Main / BornUnlucky

25th Sep '16 3:57:35 PM JoeMerl
Is there an issue? Send a Message

Added DiffLines:

* ''WesternAnimation/TotalDramaPresentsTheRidonculousRace'' gives us the [[SiblingTeam Adversity Twins]], Jay and Mickey. Not only are they ridiculously unlucky (and know it), they also have a series of bizarre allergies (particularly Jay) and phobias (particularly Mickey). Nevertheless they try to power through the challenges and are, if nothing else, endlessly supportive of each other.
23rd Sep '16 1:44:25 AM Zoriax91
Is there an issue? Send a Message

Added DiffLines:

** Makoto Naegi, the protagonist of ''VisualNovel/DanganRonpa'', has the title of "Ultimate Good (Bad?) Luck". His own brand of luck manifestes as ''bad'' luck that somehow allows him to escape ''worse'' things. For example: he gets the only bedroom with a faulty bedroom door that has a tendency to jam itself, [[spoiler:which turns out to be the pieces of evidence that proves his innocence in the first murder]].
8th Sep '16 9:58:33 PM sgamer82
Is there an issue? Send a Message

Added DiffLines:

* Takeo Inou of ''Manga/TakeoChanBukkairoku'' has to wear safety gear just walking to and from school just to protect herself from the increasingly improbable mishaps that can happen to [[TheJinx and around her]]. The first chapter has the real estate agency setting up her dorm putting her in a house populated by youkai. Said house has a very pleasant garden that, if one takes a very precise route, can also be a path to the underworld. Upon being informed that Takeo went missing while in the garden, the youkai all realize this is almost certainly what happened to her and set off on a rescue mission.
7th Sep '16 11:48:38 AM annette12
Is there an issue? Send a Message


** Let's not even go there with Jimmy.



* Don't even get us started on Squidward from ''WesternAnimation/SpongebobSquarepants''.
7th Sep '16 10:26:24 AM rafi
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* Keiichi Morisoto from ''Manga/AhMyGoddess'', literally born under the Star of Misfortune. His luck is so bad that even having a goddess move in just alters the scale at which it hits him. (Example: he makes a wish that said goddess stay with him for good, but he lives in a men-only dorm... so he gets ''thrown out''.)
* Asebi Inoue from ''LightNovel/BenTo'', who apparently is always sick, is constantly falling from high places and it tends to affect everyone around her. She gets the NomDeGuerre [[{{Shinigami}} Reaper]] despite the fact that she never particpates in any of the battles.



* Himawari from ''Manga/XxxHolic'', whose bad luck crosses over into TheJinx and DoomMagnet.
* ''Manga/UruseiYatsura'' - the lot of poor Ataru Moroboshi is to deal with all of the crazy (but fortunately attractive) aliens of the galaxy, but that's what you'd expect from someone whose [[MeaningfulName name means]] "hit by a falling star". The AllThereInTheManual additional material twists the knife further, stating that he was born on Friday the 13th, in the middle of an earthquake, on [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_calendar#Rokuy.C5.8D Butsumetsu]] (the day Buddha died), considered the unluckiest day in the Japanese calendar.
* Seina Yamada from ''Anime/TenchiMuyoGXP'', who has luck so bad it is more or less successfully weaponized. Largely because his luck is so bad that it spreads to those around him.
* Miranda from ''Manga/DGrayMan'', who was known in her hometown for this.



* Miranda from ''Manga/DGrayMan'', who was known in her hometown for this.
* In ''Anime/{{Endride}}'', Eljuia gets called the "unluckiest guy you'll ever meet," although in-universe there is some glass half full debate as to whether he isn't really Born Lucky considering that despite his danger magnetism, nothing's yet killed him.



* Keiichi Morisoto from ''Manga/AhMyGoddess'', literally born under the Star of Misfortune. His luck is so bad that even having a goddess move in just alters the scale at which it hits him. (Example: he makes a wish that said goddess stay with him for good, but he lives in a men-only dorm... so he gets ''thrown out''.)
* Ryouga Hibiki of ''Manga/RanmaOneHalf'' seems to be the universe's [[TheChewToy chew toy]]. There's a reason his strongest attack is an AngstNuke.



* ''Manga/MyHeroAcademia'' has another literal example in Izuku "[[InSeriesNickname Deku]]" Midoriya. [[EveryoneIsASuper Humans in this setting have an estimated 80% chance]] to be born with a [[StockSuperpower Quirk]]. He's among the 20% that did not.



* Asebi Inoue from ''LightNovel/BenTo'', who apparently is always sick, is constantly falling from high places and it tends to affect everyone around her. She gets the NomDeGuerre [[{{Shinigami}} Reaper]] despite the fact that she never particpates in any of the battles.
* ''Manga/MyHeroAcademia'' has another literal example in Izuku "[[InSeriesNickname Deku]]" Midoriya. [[EveryoneIsASuper Humans in this setting have an estimated 80% chance]] to be born with a [[StockSuperpower Quirk]]. He's among the 20% that did not.
* In ''Anime/{{Endride}}'', Eljuia gets called the "unluckiest guy you'll ever meet," although in-universe there is some glass half full debate as to whether he isn't really Born Lucky considering that despite his danger magnetism, nothing's yet killed him.

to:

* Asebi Inoue Ryouga Hibiki of ''Manga/RanmaOneHalf'' seems to be the universe's [[TheChewToy chew toy]]. There's a reason his strongest attack is an AngstNuke.
* Seina Yamada
from ''LightNovel/BenTo'', ''Anime/TenchiMuyoGXP'', who apparently has luck so bad it is always sick, more or less successfully weaponized. Largely because his luck is constantly so bad that it spreads to those around him.
* ''Manga/UruseiYatsura'' - the lot of poor Ataru Moroboshi is to deal with all of the crazy (but fortunately attractive) aliens of the galaxy, but that's what you'd expect from someone whose [[MeaningfulName name means]] "hit by a
falling star". The AllThereInTheManual additional material twists the knife further, stating that he was born on Friday the 13th, in the middle of an earthquake, on [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_calendar#Rokuy.C5.8D Butsumetsu]] (the day Buddha died), considered the unluckiest day in the Japanese calendar.
* Himawari
from high places ''Manga/XxxHolic'', whose bad luck crosses over into TheJinx and it tends to affect everyone around her. She gets the NomDeGuerre [[{{Shinigami}} Reaper]] despite the fact that she never particpates in any of the battles.
* ''Manga/MyHeroAcademia'' has another literal example in Izuku "[[InSeriesNickname Deku]]" Midoriya. [[EveryoneIsASuper Humans in this setting have an estimated 80% chance]] to be born with a [[StockSuperpower Quirk]]. He's among the 20% that did not.
* In ''Anime/{{Endride}}'', Eljuia gets called the "unluckiest guy you'll ever meet," although in-universe there is some glass half full debate as to whether he isn't really Born Lucky considering that despite his danger magnetism, nothing's yet killed him.
DoomMagnet.



* Misery from ''WesternAnimation/RubyGloom'', whose entire family had the most outrageous bad luck. (In particular for Misery, she attracts [[LightningCanDoAnything lightning bolts]]. Even indoors.)
* Rocko from ''WesternAnimation/RockosModernLife'' is often pushed around by others, is disliked by his next-door neighbor for little to no reason, gets bad treatment from his boss, and has two reckless friends who often take advantage of him. Not to mention other unlucky stuff happens to him on a regular basis, such as getting his car impounded and waking up with a bad hair day on the most important day.
* Eugene from ''WesternAnimation/HeyArnold'' is the resident jinx of the show, and in almost all of his appearances would get injured or screwed over in some way that was out of his control. Eugene-centric episodes are about Arnold taking pity on Eugene and trying to help him or prove he wasn't a jinx, only for it to horribly backfire. Funnily enough in one episode Eugene proposed the idea that Arnold was the jinx because bad things happened to him when Arnold was around, though other episodes proved that wasn't true.
* Eddy from ''WesternAnimation/EdEddNEddy''. Sure he brings most of his predicaments upon himself, making it his own fault, but there are episodes where he doesn't do anything wrong and still ends up on the receiving end of slapstick, such as "Button Yer Ed".
** Let's not even go there with Jimmy.
* Bad Luck Schlepprock from the Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm AnimatedSeries.
* "Who gets stuck with all the bad luck? No one, but WesternAnimation/DonaldDuck!" Also probably the biggest example of TheChewToy.



* Don't even get us started on Squidward from ''WesternAnimation/SpongebobSquarepants''.
* ''WesternAnimation/SouthPark'':
** Butters is often grounded for no reason. His birthday is even on September 11.
** Kenny, whose repeated, traumatic deaths are almost always PlayedForLaughs.
* ''{{WesternAnimation/Futurama}}'': Philip J. Fry has terrible, awful luck. Unless he happens to be holding his lucky 7-leaf clover, as shown in ''The Luck of the Fryish''.
** Though his bad luck does normally cause the situation to end positively for him; just the experience was traumatic and needlessly painful.


Added DiffLines:

* "Who gets stuck with all the bad luck? No one, but WesternAnimation/DonaldDuck!" Also probably the biggest example of TheChewToy.
* Eddy from ''WesternAnimation/EdEddNEddy''. Sure he brings most of his predicaments upon himself, making it his own fault, but there are episodes where he doesn't do anything wrong and still ends up on the receiving end of slapstick, such as "Button Yer Ed".
** Let's not even go there with Jimmy.
* ''WesternAnimation/{{Futurama}}'': Philip J. Fry has terrible, awful luck. Unless he happens to be holding his lucky 7-leaf clover, as shown in ''The Luck of the Fryish''.
** Though his bad luck does normally cause the situation to end positively for him; just the experience was traumatic and needlessly painful.
* Eugene from ''WesternAnimation/HeyArnold'' is the resident jinx of the show, and in almost all of his appearances would get injured or screwed over in some way that was out of his control. Eugene-centric episodes are about Arnold taking pity on Eugene and trying to help him or prove he wasn't a jinx, only for it to horribly backfire. Funnily enough in one episode Eugene proposed the idea that Arnold was the jinx because bad things happened to him when Arnold was around, though other episodes proved that wasn't true.


Added DiffLines:

* Bad Luck Schlepprock from the ''WesternAnimation/ThePebblesAndBammBammShow''.
* Rocko from ''WesternAnimation/RockosModernLife'' is often pushed around by others, is disliked by his next-door neighbor for little to no reason, gets bad treatment from his boss, and has two reckless friends who often take advantage of him. Not to mention other unlucky stuff happens to him on a regular basis, such as getting his car impounded and waking up with a bad hair day on the most important day.
* Misery from ''WesternAnimation/RubyGloom'', whose entire family had the most outrageous bad luck. (In particular for Misery, she attracts [[LightningCanDoAnything lightning bolts]]. Even indoors.)
* ''WesternAnimation/SouthPark'':
** Butters is often grounded for no reason. His birthday is even on September 11.
** Kenny, whose repeated, traumatic deaths are almost always PlayedForLaughs.
* Don't even get us started on Squidward from ''WesternAnimation/SpongebobSquarepants''.
7th Sep '16 10:10:47 AM 32_Footsteps
Is there an issue? Send a Message

Added DiffLines:

* In the ''Literature/BridgeInTheMenagerie'' series, this ([[LargeHam and regular, voluminous complaints about bad luck]]) is the defining trait of Karapet, the Free Armenian, whose family was supposedly cursed by a witch centuries ago. His play style is in reaction to this luck - Karapet expects that his suits won't split, that all of his finesses will be offside, and that his opponents will find the perfect lead against him by accident or design. However, his worst luck is arguably the thing he complains least about - his most frequent partner is TooCleverByHalf Papa the Greek.
26th Aug '16 7:04:51 PM sgamer82
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* ''Manga/UruseiYatsura'' - the lot of poor Ataru Moroboshi is to deal with all of the crazy (but fortunately attractive) aliens of the galaxy, but that's what you'd expect from someone whose [[MeaningfulName name means]] "hit by a falling star".
** The AllThereInTheManual additional material twists the knife further, stating that he was born on Friday the 13th, in the middle of an earthquake, on [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_calendar#Rokuy.C5.8D Butsumetsu]] (the day Buddha died), considered the unluckiest day in the Japanese calendar.

to:

* ''Manga/UruseiYatsura'' - the lot of poor Ataru Moroboshi is to deal with all of the crazy (but fortunately attractive) aliens of the galaxy, but that's what you'd expect from someone whose [[MeaningfulName name means]] "hit by a falling star".
**
star". The AllThereInTheManual additional material twists the knife further, stating that he was born on Friday the 13th, in the middle of an earthquake, on [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_calendar#Rokuy.C5.8D Butsumetsu]] (the day Buddha died), considered the unluckiest day in the Japanese calendar.
24th Aug '16 12:28:35 PM Andyroid
Is there an issue? Send a Message

Added DiffLines:

* The eponymous Milo Murphy of ''WesternAnimation/MiloMurphysLaw'' is somehow cursed with extreme bad luck. Despite this, [[ThePollyanna he stays cheerful]] and [[CrazyPrepared is ready for anything]].
20th Aug '16 4:13:27 AM Morgenthaler
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* In ''BasicInstructions'', Scott says that Rick's unlucky streak started [[http://basicinstructions.net/basic-instructions/2012/5/6/how-to-be-gracious-in-defeat.html when the obstetrician's "spank" his his head instead]]. Rick does not deny or question this.

to:

* In ''BasicInstructions'', ''Webcomic/BasicInstructions'', Scott says that Rick's unlucky streak started [[http://basicinstructions.net/basic-instructions/2012/5/6/how-to-be-gracious-in-defeat.html when the obstetrician's "spank" his his head instead]]. Rick does not deny or question this.
13th Aug '16 11:06:25 AM nombretomado
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* Miranda from ''DGrayMan'', who was known in her hometown for this.

to:

* Miranda from ''DGrayMan'', ''Manga/DGrayMan'', who was known in her hometown for this.
This list shows the last 10 events of 236. Show all.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/article_history.php?article=Main.BornUnlucky