Western Animation: Space Strikers
(In French: 20,000 Lieues Dans L'Espace
) is a 1995 French animated series made by Métropole Production and distributed by Saban
. In a distant future, the courageous Captain Nemo, commander of the technologically advanced starship Nautilus
, and its bold crew against the nefarious Phantom Warriors and their dreadful leader, the Master Phantom. Together, the Nautilus crew must save Planet Earth from the total domination of this ruthless villain who is bent on spreading chaos throughout the universe. Needless to say, it's kind of a loose adaptation to Jules Verne
's 20000 Leagues IN SPACE!
Notable for being one of the first series to extensively use computer-generated 3D scenes (and also 3D glasses were shipped around the United States to promote this point, called "Strikervision") for the scenes IN SPACE!
, while keeping it 2D for the characters
. Unfortunately, due to the fact this show wasn't very popular at all, it's nigh impossible to find footage related to this show.
Tropes used by the series:
- Conspicuous CG: Considering it was one of the first times where 3D imaging was used, it's somewhat forgivable. It looked nice back then.
- Cool Starship: Almost any ship presented here.
- Evil Former Friend: Nemo and Master Phantom used to be friends before the latter's Face-Heel Turn.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: This series has Captain Planet, Sir Tuxford, Mike the TV, Von Reichter, Flutterguy, The Liquidator, Patrick Zala, Ganon, Kagura, Chief Quimby and Sky Byte. It's not as far-fetched as you think.
- Medium Blending: As mentioned above, the series mixed 2D with 3D footage.
- Recycled IN SPACE!