Contributed pages include:
I've written a TvTropes Liveblog for Captain N and the Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3
Also helped nickname Ridley's
adolescent form. Meet El Pollo Loco.
Drake's Fortune Amoung Thieves Drake's Deception Deadly Premonition Movie
Thundercats fan comic discussion
Super Mario Bros. 3 Cartoon Bible
Captain N Bible
Every game released for the NES is represented by it's own unique dimension within videoland. These individual realities are completely separate from one another, though travel is sometimes possible through warp zones, which act as doorways leading from one game world to another.
The Palace of Power acts as a sort of hub world where many of these warp zones connect. It is ruled by a royal family, each member of which has the ability to open and close existing warp zones. Traditionally the individual dimensions have remained mostly isolated from one another with few people knowing of the existence of the warp zones. In recent years however the warp zones are seeing much more widespread use. This brings with it new dangers.
Each game world is believed to have both heroes and villains who are destined to battle, with good almost always triumphing. However when evil spreads from one world into another the balance is shifted. Heroes may face villains that they know little of or may be unable to defeat. King Charles was the ruler of the Palace of Power at the time when Mother Brain, a powerful organic supercomputer from Metroid's game world, began her bid for control of all videoland. A series of battles ensued between the two, eventually ending with Charles' defeat. Whether he was killed or captured by Mother Brain's forces is still unknown.
With Charles missing his young daughter Princess Lana was forced to assume the throne and stop the spread of Mother Brain's evil. Desperate, she put out a summons calling any available heroes to help her in her struggle. Three answered the call: Vampire hunter Simon Belmont, the robot Megaman and the angel Pit.
For four years the struggle continued with Lana and her heroes doing their best to keep Mother Brain's forces at bay. However with no sign that the battle will end their resolve is beginning to wear thin.
Running low on hope Lana called out to the Ultimate Warp Zone for help. The Ultimate Warp Zone was an ancient warp that lead outside of known reality, said by some to have a consciousness of its own. Her prayers were answered as the Ultimate Warp Zone delivered to her a young man named Kevin Keene, a human from our world where these games are just that, though none within videoland know this. With him he brought an NES game pad that gives him some measure of power, a zapper and his faithful dog Duke. Now it is up to him to turn the tide in the war, before all is lost.
Kevin Keene, AKA Captain N: A student at Northridge High near Los Angeles and member of the swim team, Kevin is an ordinary boy with a love of video games. Though never a focal point of his life he was very good at every video game he owned and through months of play has memorized most level layouts and hidden areas. It was this knowledge, coupled with his courage and willingness to help others that made the Ultimate Warp Zone choose him to lead videoland out if its dark times.
Princess Lana: Heir to the throne of the Palace of Power, Princess Lana now finds she must fill the shoes of her late father and protect videoland from befalling disaster. She puts on a brave face and pretends that everything is alright, though deep down she feels that she is in far over her head and would give almost anything to see her father again just so that she would not feel quite so alone.
Simon Belmont: A vampire slayer from the game world of Castlevania, Simon is the latest member of the legendary Belmont clan who have been warring with Count Dracula for centuries. Brave and selfless, Simon never runs from any battle, no matter how desperate the odds. During the four years fighting at Lana's side Simon became her "Anchor in a long and terrible storm" and can become very protective of the girl. Initially he has reservations about Kevin, noting that he is inexperienced as a warrior and has never fought a battle in his life.
Megaman: A robot built by the great Dr. Light, Rock was originally designed simply to mimic human appearance and behaviour. However when Light's college Dr. Wily stole then reprogrammed some of Light's other creations, Rock was rebuilt as Megaman, a combat robot that soon ended Wily's plans of world conquest.
Pit: A member of the Goddess Palutena's royal guard back home, Pit was the one responsible for defeating the evil Medusa and freeing Palutena. Young and headstrong, Pit tirelessly seeks his goddess' approval. Also tends to slip into Latin from time to time.
Mother Brain's crew
Mother Brian: A cold, unfeeling, organic supercomputer and leader of a group of space pirates in her home dimension, Mother Brain was one of the first to discover the warp zones and use them to her own ends. Brilliant and ruthless, she believes Videoland should be under her enlightened control. Though physically unable to leave her home planet of Zebes she commands her forces with great foresight. To her all of Videoland is a giant chess board and she is the only one capable of manipulating all the pieces in such a way that she can claim victory.
Dr. Albert Wily: Formerly a colleague of Dr. Light, Wily now works for Mother Brain building terrible machines that give their forces an edge. Wily believes that Mother Brain's endless plots and schemes will bring Videoland under her control and he has no intention of being on the losing side.
Eggplant Wizard: A practitioner of "Vegetable Magic" and hailing from the same world as Pit, Eggplant Wizard acts to carry out certain special operations for Mother Brain. Though his magic can be dangerous when used effectively things rarely seem to go his way. Unfortunately for him Mother Brain sees Eggplant Wizard as nothing more than an expendable tool, one that will eventually outlive its usefulness.
King Hippo: Originally a boxer in the WVBA, King Hippo was recruited into Mother Brain's army with the promise of more power. Though not very bright King Hippo possesses great physical strength. He is often seen associating with Eggplant Wizard and the two are of equal worth in Mother Bain's eye.
Denizens of Hyrule
Princess Zelda: Crown Princess of Hyrule, Zelda possesses a great and powerful artefact known as the Triforce of Wisdom. It is her duty to rule the land with a sense of honour and to ensure that the evil wizard Ganon does not conquer the land.
Link: The hero of Hyrule. Link has battled Ganon's forces on many occasions and is the single greatest obstacle preventing the evil wizard from gaining the Triforce of Wisdom.
Ganon: A dark wizard of great evil, the boar-like Ganon possesses the Triforce of Power and commands the majority of the wicked creatures that live within Hyrule. At present he is in a stalemate with Princess Zelda as each party possesses one of the three parts of the Triforce. Should Ganon be able to take the Triforce of Wisdom for his own, or should he find the long missing Triforce of Courage, there would be no force in Hyrule capable of stopping him.
Outline - Season 1
The initial episode will focus on Lana's desperation and the toll the war has taken on her, leading her to ask the Ultimate Warp Zone for help. Kevin will arrive and realize that without his help Videoland is doomed. Will show Kevin forming the N Team and becoming their leader. Will also serve to introduce all major characters on both sides.
Themes for the first season will include the need for the N Team to rely on one another and Simon's distrust of Kevin. He will often question Kevin's wisdom and point out that he has no experience with leadership or fighting in general. He also notices Kevin's fondness for Lana and acts in a slightly over-protective manner towards her, not wanting her to become infatuated with the boy. His reasons should be sensible and Simon should come across as a reasonable man and NOT a selfish prick.
Ideas for episodes
- The N Team helps free C island from the tyranny of Zoda. (Startropics)
- Pit becomes lost in an endless labyrinth and must work with a powerful magician's apprentice to survive. (The Immortal.)
- Malkil (from Wizards & Warriors) poisons Lana with an apple that will cause nightmares which become fatal after 24 hours. Introduce Alucard as mysterious friend of Simon's. Force N Team to face greatest nightmares.
- Introduce Hyrule and important characters within. Demonstrate stalemate situation. Show that Ganon is not on friendly terms with Mother Brain's forces.
- The N Team helps the Dragon Brothers rescue their female friend from a street gang. (Double Dragon)
- A race between the N Team and Mother Brain's forces to find the lost Raj diamond. (Super Pitfall)
- The N Team must assist soldiers Bill and Lance as they halt an alien infestation. (Contra)
- The N Team goes to the World Tree of Faxanadu and become caught on either side of the elf/dwarf war. Possible amnesia spell to justify actions.
In Hyrule a magic mirror is recovered from one of Ganon's dungeons. Evidence suggests King Charles may be trapped within somehow and the mirror is given to the N Team. They discover the mirror is a portal to another dimension that can only be opened from the outside. Lana and Kevin enter.
The other dimension is a barren limbo. The pair are soon assaulted by Ridley and Kraid, then rescued by Samus. Soon they are brought to the king and we learn what has transpired. Shortly after finding the warp zones Mother Brain came across the mirror and concocted a plan to dispose of her nemesis, bounty hunter Samus Aran. Her two most trusted generals, Ridley and Kraid, used the mirror as a trap, 'escaping' into the mirror with Samus following behind them. Not long after Mother Brain captured King Charles he escaped with the mirror, only to rush into the hands of Ganon. He entered the mirror to escape certain death. Samus has spent the last four years playing cat-and-mouse with Ridley and Kraid while keeping the King out of their clutches.
Meanwhile Mother Brain's forces finally breach the Palace of Power and steal the mirror. After a pitched battle Kevin, Lana, Charles and Samus escape through the portal back home, only to emerge in Tourian, Mother Brain's underground fortress. Ridley and Kraid then exit after them.
Outline - Season 2
With Kevin & the others captured Mother Brain has them locked away and brought before her one by one so that she can read their minds and learn all that they know. Ridley and Kraid begin to re-take command of Mother Brain's forces. While they don't seem to mind Dr. Wily they see Eggplant Wizard and King Hippo as fools only capable of failure. The two henchmen realize their days are numbered as long as they remain with Mother Brain.
Meanwhile the rest of the N Team tries to mount a rescue operation. However, since Zebes is a giant underground maze they realize they will need an army. After much debate they speak with Ganon, promising they will show them the warp zones that will take his forces to Zebes. They hope that during the conflict both parties will wipe each other out.
Having already read the King's mind and learning much about the nature of warp zones, Mother Brain sees into Kevin's mind and learns the truth about Videoland, that in Kevin's world each dimension within Videoland is merely one work of fiction. Before she can do anything with this knowledge Ganon's forces invade while the N Team acts to save their comrades. After a drawn out battle Ganon eventually seizes Zebes as his own with most of Mother Brian's low level minions surrendering. All other parties are able to escape except for Mother Brain and King Charles, the later allowing himself to be captured so that Lana can escape.
With Mother Brain his prisoner Ganon now becomes the greatest power in Videoland. Ridley, Kraid, Wily and later Uranos design and carry out their own schemes in Mother Brain's absence.
Samus: A recurring ally for the N Team, Samus is aloof and prefers to do things her own way. She speaks little and does not socialize much with the others, though she is a superb warrior.
Ridley: Mother Brain's right hand man, Ridley is cunning, sadistic and ruthless. He has a long history with Samus, being the one who orphaned her when she was three. After losing to Samus once before (the events of the original Metroid) Ridley feels that he must kill Samus himself, at any cost.
Kraid: Mother Brain's left hand man and close friend of Ridley. Whereas Ridley supplements his physical abilities with cunning plots, Kraid usually relies on brute force to get the job done. He speaks in a guttural tongue that (initially) only those native to the Metroid universe are able to understand.
Uranos: The god of sky and an associate of Palutena, Uranos sided with Medusa in the great battle years ago. He is broken out of prison by Ridley and Kraid part way through the season.
Ideas for episodes
- Kevin becomes very sick and the only hope for his survival is if Samus and Megaman shrink down and go inside of him to destroy the evil creature known as Viroid.
- Ridley and Kraid break Uranos out of prison.
- Ganon orders Mother Brain to create another person with Kevin's abilities. She makes a replica of Mike Vincent, a bully from Kevin's past and designs replicas of his zapper and power pad which are then powered by the Triforce of Power. Mike is then sent to destroy Kevin.
- Lana is reunited with Lyle, her older brother who left the Palace of Power prior to their father's disappearance, because he did not want to inherit the throne.
- The N Team must assist Ryu Hayubusa as he goes on a quest to learn what happened to his father and battle against the evil Jaquio. The episode concludes with the summoning, then defeat of the demon. (Re-enactment of Ninja Gaiden.)
- Samus and Lana are thrown into a prison/labour camp and must work together to escape.
- Mother Brain's forces attempt to take more metroids from SR-388.
- Megaman meets his older brother, Protoman, who prefers to fight evil by himself.
- Samus must help an orphaned youth named Jay as he deals with the terrorists that killed his father and uncovers a dangerous conspiracy. (Journey to Silius.)
- Ganon and Dracula arrange a meeting where they plan to unite their forces and conquer Videoland together. The N Team works with Link to prevent this alliance from happening. During a battle Dracula bites Simon on the neck.
- After many years a clue surfaces that may lead to the Triforce of Courage. While Ganon prepares to march on Hyrule Castle a pair of his best men search for the lost Triforce. At the same time Kevin and Link, as well as Ridley and Kraid and the duo of Eggplant Wizard and King Hippo all hope to find the Triforce first. Eventually Link acquires the Triforce and brings it to Zelda. With the power of both their Triforces the pair defeat Ganon. Now that all three Triforces are together all evil is purged from Hyrule and a golden age of prosperity begins.
With Ganon defeated Mother Brain's forces retake Zebes and launch an all out assault on the Palace of Power. The N Team is defeated but Kevin is able to escape into a warp zone. Now all alone Kevin must rally a new group of heroes to help him retake the Palace of Power.
Kevin finds himself in the world of Bionic Commando and must help Captain Spencer defeat Generalissimo Killt and his new weapon the Albatross. Ryu Hayubusa appears during battle to repay his debt to Kevin. Both Spencer and Ryu join Kevin's cause.
In need of more help Kevin seeks Dr. Light but must first free him from Wily's clutches. He recruits the help of Protoman and they free Light. After the battle they are contacted by Samus who they meet with. She is accompanied by Solid Snake, who she has asked to join the fight, and informs Kevin that she had infiltrated Zebes just after the death of Ganon and discovered that King Charles was no longer being held there.
Kevin and the new group, now dubbed the N-Forcers, now march upon the Palace of Power. During the assault they find that Mother Brain is now controlling Lana's body telepathically and that she has opened the Ultimate Warp Zone. After a brief foray into the real world Ridley returned with Kevin's family in tow and is now using them as hostages. After a difficult battle the heroes prevail and succeed in capturing Ridley.
Outline - Season 3
Initial episodes will deal with the aftermath of the events that concluded the previous season. Kevin must explain to his family what he has been doing all this time, while the others learn the truth about videoland and try to cope with the knowledge that they may be nothing more than fictional characters. Lana must deal with the effects of being manipulated by Mother Brain and break free of any remaining influences she may have left behind. Simon meanwhile is suffering from a curse given to him by Count Dracula but keeps it a secret from the others. Simon knows he must kill Dracula himself to break the curse but fears storming the castle would be a suicide mission and does not want the others to share the risk.
Attempts are made to interrogate Ridley, none of which go very well. It should be emphasized that the N-Forcers operate differently than the N Team and are more willing to do questionable things to achieve victory. For instance they discuss killing Ridley themselves as they feel it is only a matter of time before he escapes or is broken out.
Dr. Wily comes to the Palace seeking protection from Mother Brain as she is no longer willing to tolerate his failures. Mother Brain herself begins a steady rise in power as other villains join her cause.
N-Forcers: Samus, Protoman, Ryu Hayubusa, Solid Snake & Captain Spencer.
Ashtar: A demon from the world of Ninja Gaiden, Ashtar has used the remains of the demon to fashion a powerful weapon known as the Sword of Darkness. Ashtar believes that with the combined powers of Ruís Dragon Sword and the Sword of Darkness he will be unstoppable. He allies himself with Mother Brain believing that her plans will bring videoland to its knees. Ashtar has no loyalty to Mother Brain and intends to betray her when the opportunity arises.
Big Boss: Solid Snake once served under Big Boss before learning he was the master mind behind Outer Heaven. Big Boss secretly created Outer Heaven to plunge the world into never-ending war in the hope of creating a soldiers' paradise where they would never be rendered obsolete by peace. Now Big Boss continues to work towards his dream by assisting Mother Brain in her conquest of videoland, before killing her and starting a war amongst those who wish to replace her.
Ideas for episodes
- Kevin, Samus and Simon must travel to the real world to stop a shape-shifter that travelled through the Ultimate Warp Zone during the brief period it was under Mother Brain's control. Simon's curse becomes known to the others.
- Ryu and Solid Snake are called to deal with a terrorist attack and hostage situation in an embassy. Snake confronts Big Boss while Ryu is attacked by one of Ashtarís soldiers. (Rescue: The Embassy Mission)
- Simon and Kevin must go to Count Dracula's castle and destroy the vampire lord before Simon's curse kills him.
- Ridley is freed from the Palace of Power during a daring break-out attempt.
- While Zelda leaves Hyrule for a short period Eggplant Wizard and King Hippo succeed in stealing two of the Triforces. Eventually they are returned but Zelda now feels that Hyrule must come first in their war and vows not to leave it unprotected again.
- The N Team must stop the weapon world of Naju before it destroys Earth. (Guardian Legend)
- During a battle Samus' arm is badly slashed by Ashtarís sword. Afterwards she fears she may lose the arm while the others are beginning to feel their battle is more hopeless than ever. On Zebes Ridley feels anger and distrust towards Ashtar, noting the demon's loyalty is temporary at best and feeling that he should be the one to kill Samus so that he may avenge his previous defeats.
- Solid Snake must help Max Force and Hitman take down the criminal empire of Mr. Big when it is discovered he is aiding Big Boss. (N.A.R.C.)
- Agent Foster of the CIA recruits Zoda to construct a computer virus that he hopes will defeat Mother Brain for good.
- King Charles is found in another game world not knowing who he is. Lana learns that, while still captives of Ganon, Mother Brain wiped the king's memory then orchestrated his escape so that Ganon could not use his knowledge or abilities.
- Ashtar takes the magic mirror and learns of it's true power. It can allow the user to cross into a mirror dimension, but only when used in a specific location. Kevin and others follow him into the mirror dimension where King Charles is an evil dictator and Mother Brain is the leader of a rebellion.
As the forces of evil begin an all-out assault across all of videoland each hero must fight their own battles or lose their homes forever. Dr. Wily betrays Dr. Light and steals the new robot they have been building together. Big Boss asks Snake for his help in using a newly built Metal Gear to kill Mother Brain. Mother Brain herself uses the knowledge she attained from peering into the Ultimate Warp Zone to tear down the barriers between the dimensions. She marches on the Palace once again, this time only interested in using the Ultimate Warp Zone to escape into the real world so that she may conquer it and re-make videoland in her own image.