drawn by the illustrious Luka Delaney of Kagerou
Adventurer, linguist-in-training, college student. Newly moved to the east coast (Swarthmore college! Whoo!), thoroughly enjoying all of this crazy snow. Good times! Reads obscene quantities of webcomics, a born-and-raised Star Wars dork, very active roleplayer (of all types—yes, even LARPing)... all-around geek, really. Entirely blames The Firebottle
for getting him trapped in this horrible place.
Also writes a whole lot
! Have actually been posting writings online of late
. Main projects include The Hope Saga
), Catalyst (a book, hopefully), and Schism (some sort of magnum opus space opera). Currently writing a novel called Chosen, with the intention of attempting to get it published. (Yikes.)
Can be contacted in the following ways (and is highly amenable to new friends!):
Tropes that apply to This Troper:
- A Lady on Each Arm: In Japan. Hilarity ensued.
- Alternative Character Interpretation: A few of my close friends are legitimately convinced that I'm actually a Heroic Sociopath with some very detailed masks. Admittedly, if I were, it would explain a hell of a lot about me. I myself haven't ruled out the possibility.
- Anything That Moves: For a few years, I was something of a slut. It was fun!
- Arc Words: This has happened for various different story arcs. It's a little weird. The two most distinct ones were "You are my sunshine," and "Breathe deep." "Fly high."
- Badass Bookworm: One time, I went to Portland to visit Reed College. I spent more time in Powell's than on campus. ...I did an overnight stay on campus. Badass? Judge for yourself.◊ (And I can swordfight, do aikido, and run parkour. So yes, I am a something of a Ninja.)
- Badass Longcoat: I have a dueling coat for exactly this purpose. It blows in the wind so beautifully. <3 (See here◊ and here◊.)
- Better as Friends: With the second Manic Pixie Dream Girl who shew up in my life. It was very mutual, and we stayed best friends for a good two years. ...we actually kissed MORE often AFTER we broke up, though it was entirely platonic. Yeah, our lives are weird, don't worry about it.
- Berserk Button: Spoilers. I will flip out if you spoil something for me, or for someone else in my presence. Seriously. I made a girl cry the other night because she spoiled an FMA plot point for a friend of mine.
- Bi the Way: Closer to Pansexual, really.
- Blind Without 'Em: And how. Dear gods do I need my glasses. (Also need them for psychological reasons, interestingly. Never tell me to get contacts, I will pointedly ignore you.)
- Born Lucky: Was going great, but subverted when it came time for college admissions. Ouch. Thank gods for transferring!
- Brilliant but Lazy: Managing to scrape my way through college so far, though.
- Buffy Speak: All the time. Some people have hard times making sense of my wordspeak. Friends get used to it all quicklike, usualbouts. (We call it Flynnish, for various reasons.)
- Character Derailment: Freshman year of college. At the wrong college. It was... bad. Fortunately lead to Character Development and eventually Character Rerailment, though it took a while (and transferring to a good school).
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: I had a severe hero complex for many years. I got over it.
- Cunning Linguist: See above re: majoring in linguistics. Also see above re: blaming The Firebottle.
- Crazy-Prepared: An extremely odd variant. Before bringing up a topic of conversation over AIM, I will open a half-dozen relevant links in tabs, so that I can send them immediately if/when they come up.
- Determinator: You betcha.
- Divergent Character Evolution: With Paul, my best friend since birth. In high school our lives took us in very different directions. We're still very close, but we're actually different people now. Time was people mistook us for twins.
- Dynamic Entry: Especially if I am wearing one of my various dramatic swooshy coats.
- Evil Laugh: And often. I have a number of different cackles for different situations.
- Gratuitous Japanese: Nearly fluent now. Two months of homestay already, and planning to do the JET program after college. (Guess who's to blame? If you guessed The Firebottle, no prize!)
- Ho Yay: SO MUCH. Dear gods. My life seems to be fueled by this, sometimes. It doesn't help that there has been EXPLICIT SLASHFIC WRITTEN OF THIS. TWICE. ...make that thrice.
- Intergenerational Friendship: Both ways! I consider many of my parents' friends to be my friends as well (and they consider me theirs), and I consider the eldest of the children I babysit for to be a friend, despite his being nine years my junior. (He considers himself my Padawan. This tells you a lot about why I like him so much.)
- Large Ham: I am the kind of guy who will climb something tall just to pose dramatically and make a pointless proclamation.
- Le Parkour: Because WHEEEEEE!
- Living Forever Is Awesome: I am completely set on immortality. Dying just strikes me as a terrible idea!
- Life Imitates Art: Mixed with Dangerously Genre Savvy. My life seems to be a webcomic, complete with story arcs, one-dimensional plot point characters, dramatic climaxes, and even hiatuses. (Those SUCK.) I use my extensively knowledge of webcomics to my advantage. I also periodically Break The Fourth Wall and talk to the readers. This tends to confuse the people around me quite a bit.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Two of them! Only one did I actually date, though. Both wound up being my absolute best friends for a few years. Let me tell you, those were seriously strange days.
- Mistaken for Gay: Repeatedly. By my own mother.
"You just haven't realized it yet..."
"No, I just can't seem to get a girlfriend!"
"Right, because you're gay."
"No!" (Of course, when I did
come out as bi, her response was a very loud "I told you so!
- Trademark Favorite Food: ... to cook! I have been invited numerous places just so I would cook crepes for people. My entire dorm now pays me to do it for them on Saturday mornings! :3
- Proud to Be a Geek: I, uh, founded a LARPing company. So Yeah.
- Psychotic Smirk / Slasher Smile: Usually only used when in character. In my Darker and Edgier days (now behind me) used to intensely disturbing effect against people I did not like.
- Rape Of The Lock: I had waist-length hair. Then I got lice. It was not good. Did bad things to my psychology, as it came at a very bad time in my life. Last straw sort of thing. It has since grown back, though.
- Saying Sound Effects Out Loud: Shrug.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism Versus Cynicism: Most of the way down the idealistic end. Sadly, life seems to be trying to push me down the path of cynicism. Resist! Cling to your hippie ideals!
- Super Sentai (and all associated tropes!): We are the QUAP Rangers! Quantum! Underscore! Advanced! Physics! Rangers!
- The Hero: FINALLY. For many, many, MANY years I was always playing The Lancer to someone else's hero. My turn in the spotlight, bitches. (I've gotten over my hero complex, though.)
- What the Hell, Hero?: I did some bad stuff freshman year. I was called on it. Extensively.
- Weirdness Magnet: And how. People are always asking me how to have my life, and I really have no idea. Strange things just tend to find me.
- Viewer Gender Confusion: My long hair has resulted in many people mistaking me for a girl. As I tend to think of myself as androgynous, this does not bother me at all.
Things I enjoy:
Top tier of fannish obsession:
Other things I am terribly fond of:
Feel free to stick vandalism here!