Tropers / Hyokai
Real Name: [REDACTED FOR PRIVACY]
Troper name: Hyokai (really, it should be Hyōkai or Hyoukai, but whatever)
Likes: Old-school console-based RPG gaming, contemporary PC-based cooperative gaming, modifying XP and Win7, as well as modding games I play. Classical music, OC Remix
, and other, lyric-less music to help concentrate.
Hates: Nihilism, high-pitched/electronic whining, moral relativism, screen glare, moral absolutism, the Greengrocer's Apostrophe, and bad CRC returns.
Occupation: I'm a recent college graduate, holding three degress (AS, AAS, and BS). Since my field of study incorporates a lot of PC use, I've had to teach myself to be tech-savvy quickly.
I first stumbled onto the site sometime in the early winter of 2009, and have been absorbed in it since (mostly proofreading existing entries). I consider it a small success when I lace my conversations with trope names or point out stuff as being a trope, so people often wonder why I chuckle to myself when they discuss their favorite films and such. I consider it an even bigger success when I get my English professors addicted to the site (two and counting!), usually by suggesting a trope or a favorite show they keep ranting about, then letting them Wiki Walk themselves into oblivion.
Usually I just read the different trope pages and cross reference the works described for new books, shows, games, etc to consume, which I guess is one of the reasons the site exists. My contributions to the site are typically small entries to existing pages, or acting as a spill-chequer/prufe-reeder for works' pages I reread.
To explain more about myself in trope form:
- Almighty Janitor - Best Occupation Evar, since I typically find out how everything works and become the go-to source for how to fix/improve any of it. My last occupation was that of "Assistant Cook", although I ended up doing a lot more than merely cooking each day.
- Basement-Dweller - On top of being a full-time student, I moved back in to an actual basement of my parents' after destroying 2.75 cars, only one of which belonged to my family. Paying for both that and college has taught me how to scrape by on less than 2500USD a year. Somewhat averted in that I pay them rent in addition to doing my own laundry, shopping, taxes, and arrangement of travel.
- Blessed with Suck / Cursed with Awesome - I have a disturbingly good memorynote , usually for mundane facts and events from life, but there are things I can not get out of my mind that I wish I could.
- Cicadian Rhythm - A specific species serves as my morning alarm clock. It works as instant encouragement to get up and sieze the day.
- Crazy-Prepared - Of the "'excessively' prepared for a routine scenario" variety. Thanks to being a full-time student at a University with no student housing, I have to carry anything and everything I'd need throughout the day in my cargo pants or overcoat pocketsnote , or stuffed into/attached to a backpacknote
- Cuteness Proximity - Around the family cat, of course.
- Deadpan Snarker - I am this in public when around friends/family or when making a comment in forums.
- Five-Man Band - Of the shenanigans my brothers and I got into, I was The Lancer and am now The Smart Guy.
- Game Mod - My regular hobby, since I'm too poor to do anything outdoors and I have to keep sharp in 3d modeling somehow.
- Gentleman and a Scholar - I've made being one a personal goal, after a previous business manager called me one.
- I Have Many Aliases - None of which hint at my actual name, which when googled reveals all too easily the information I prefer to limit to friends and family.
- I Know Mortal Kombat - Owing to several years of gaming experience (especially early FPSes), I have a good enough sense of direction that I can't get lost in large buildings or other areas with no landmarks, and a good memory for details or pathfinding.
- Improbable Aiming Skills - Both in real life◊ and in Left 4 Dead. In reality I'm a three-time Expert-class marksman of the NRA's Light Rifle course (Really, I just earned it in three different disciplines: standing, bench, and sitting/prone/kneeling. I found standing to the be the easiest). In the context of gaming, I've been described as an aimbot by people who were in the room watching me play. I am still not sure if I should be proud or embarrassed by that.
- Lawful Good - At least, I abide by the laws insofar as the laws themselves are good.
- Mismatched Eyes - Specifically, Central Heterochromia, each of my eyes contains a heavy yellow ring surrounded by the original blue color.
- Up until 1995, I also had the kind of Strabismus that results in one eye looking in a different direction than the other (think "derp eyes").
- Most Wonderful Sound - In my case, the sounds of a minigun spinning up or a chainsaw's initial revving up. Formerly, this would have been the computer announcer's stuttering lines of "Nu-Nu-Nuclear Launch Detected" as I cluster-nuked areas at a time. Also, groups of seige tanks entering and exiting seige mode to turtle their way into a base.
- Nuclear Family - In retrospect, my family is surprisingly similar to the Weasley family; six boys, one girl (who is the youngest) and the third son distances himself somewhat from the regular family.
- Pass the Popcorn - Except my foodstuff of choice is Snyder's of Hanover pretzel rods.
- Point That Somewhere Else - One of the reasons I stopped working as a Range Safety Officer/Instructor; I got sick of people turning to face me when spoken to at the range. I see down the barrels enough when I'm cleaning them, thank you.
- Saw "Star Wars" 27 Times - In my case, it's Final Fantasy VI. The only platform I have not played it on was the original SNES.
- Sleep Mask - I wear one to sleep at night (in addition to match-grade shooting earplugs). Otherwise, I'm easily awoken, and lack of sleep makes me... irrational.
- Sugar and Ice Personality - Even amongst long-time co-workers it's taken a number of years for them to catch on that despite appearances I'm not irate/serious when speaking with them.
- Super Weight - Class 0±0.5, which I suspect most of the human race is. I prefer to watch other people behave in ways I literally can't afford to.
- Theme Naming - Both within my immediate family (my siblings and I have Anglo-Biblical first or middle names) and, whenever I get a new computer, I end up naming it after characters from Cave Story. To date, I've had Quote, Curly Brace, Sue, two named Misery (one real and the other virtual), Jack, and Jenka.
- That One Player - I was this in the family on the N64 games we had, and also the case in Left 4 Dead's Campaign Mode.
- Thousand-Yard Stare / Dull Eyes of Unhappiness - My default expression
- Trademark Favorite Food - Snyder's of Hanover pretzel rods (it takes about a week to go through a single bag).
- Uncanny Valley - In public, I come across as a resident halfway up the far slope due to a near-permanent deadpan expression and little lip movement when speaking. From my own perspective, furries at Stage 2 or higher, as well as stuff like this, evoke in me the same "something's off" feeling. Modern suburbs also creep me out for some reason.
[Whiteboard/comments section here]