Tropers / Dynamite XI
I'm Dynamite XI
. I'm a mystery writer, a sometimes-cartoonist, an erstwhile would-be collegiate humor journalist, a college graduate, a software support tech, and all around good twentysomething guy.
And I bake a delicious pie.
I don't exactly remember when I first found TV Tropes. Maybe Linkara
had a link, or maybe it was serendipitous random Google browsing. I dunno.
My own personal Troper Tales:
- Adorkable: I've come to accept this as a valid lifestyle choice. Loathed it for the longest time growing up, though.
- Brevity Is Wit: Believe it.
- Drugs Are Bad: The anti-drug education worked on me. To be honest, the whole "I do drugs out of spite for those Narmtastic commercials" viewpoint doesn't make much sense to me.
- Game of Nerds: Baseball is still my favorite sport.
- Isn't It Ironic?: For my elementary school graduation, my school's music teacher thought it would be appropriate for the sixth grade class to sing the then-current hit "Missin' You" by Puff Daddy (with the boys rapping and the girls singing the chorus). The rationale was, we'd ostensibly be missing our school—except the song was Diddy's tribute to Biggie Smalls, and it was right there in the lyrics. My eleven-year-old self rapped a tribute to the Notorious BIG.
- The alternative was the other then-current hit, "My Heart Will Go On," which wasn't much better. I suspect the only reason we didn't sing that one was because my music teacher was sick of hearing it.
- The '90s: My decade! I have a couple of cousins who are just shy of double digits, and when I talk to them about when I was their age, they roll their eyes and lampshade the fact that it's yet another Nineties story.
- Kids Are Cruel: First, let me stress that I had a happy childhood and several friends. That said, I was teased on and off during childhood, and in retrospect the majority of it was relatively harmless. However, I did meet a genuinely cruel kid one time—in the Boy Scouts of all places. One evening, after a troop meeting, the kidnote waited until no adults were around, got two other scouts to hold me in place so he could give me a swift punch to the stomach, and whispered frightening insults to me afterwards. And I was about eleven or twelve at time.note
- Later on, the same kid ended up in my English class during my sophomore year of high school, and took delight in his attempts to inflict terror upon me at lunch each day. Although by that point I had gotten older and wiser and sick of all that crap, and I quickly learned how to avoid him.
- Percussive Maintenance: My 8-track player sometimes gets a loud buzz in the right channel. A good THWACK or two cures this issue.
- Schizo Tech: My PC looks like a mid-Nineties computer, complete with CRT screen and floppy drive, but I've tricked it out with a DVD-RW, a Wi-Fi card (just in case), a retrofitted Atari 2600 joystick, and an 8-track tape deck.
- The World Is Just Awesome: The things that matter most in life are fascination, cleverness, kindness, generosity, and hope. It's not hard to find it in this world. A sense of humor can't hurt, either.