Playing With: Commonplace Rare
Basic Trope: Something relatively easy-to-find in real life is rare in a video game.
Back to Commonplace Rare
- Straight: There are only four usable swords in the kingdom of Tropeland, and they're hard to find, despite all of the enemies wielding them.
- There is one sword, a wooden sword, going for 9001 Dollars.
- The heroes have to travel the world in order to collect the twelve MacGuffins that open the door to the World of Doom and then fight legions of extremely powerful demons, followed by a battle with the game's Bonus Boss, in order to acquire a single sheet of paper.
- Downplayed: Swords are rare in the peaceful kingdom of Tropeland, but as your party moves out to more dangerous areas, they become easier to find.
- There's a demon in the mines, so metal can't be used to forge a sword.
- Certain items were rare before an invention came along to aid in the production, such a mirrors.
- There are swords everywhere. You can take enemies' swords.
- Your first sword is made of Orichalcum.
- "This... is the unique, one-of-a-kind blade, Masamune. This... is also the unique, one-of-a-kind blade, Masamune. So are all those over there."
- Subverted: There are only four swords, but you can mix-and-match to have six more.
- Double Subverted: And the six others are just clones of the first four.
- Parodied: The entire game is a quest to find a sword.
- Zig-zagged: There are only four swords in the kingdom. The Hero heads to the nearby kingdom of Sword-i Arabia where he finds hundreds of swords. He brings them back to Tropeland, where they are all burned due to being illegally bought.
- Averted: There are plenty of swords.
- Enforced: The developers designed the entire game around the concept of limited ammunition, and so a weapon which doesn't need ammunition is a near-Game Breaker.
- Lampshaded: "Where's a sword when you need one?"
- Invoked: "Something tells me I'm going to have a hard time getting a sword..."
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: There's a sword delivery store.
- Discussed: "You know, swords really shouldn't be this rare..."
- Conversed: "I can't believe how badly the recent sword famine's hit!"
- Implied: All characters are shown using weapons such as spears or axes for combat, with swords being seen only lightly.
- Deconstructed: The Hero put so much effort into finding the sword that he was forced to take of all troubles without it.
- Reconstructed: But he uses it to take care of what trouble remained.
- Plotted A Good Waste: When the hero finally finds the sword, it ends up not being too amazing, and it was basically the fact that it was rare that made it valuable, not because it was strong.
- Played For Laughs: Any time this is brought up around an official they quickly stop any conversation about the shortage of usable swords, mumbling something about copyright law.
Back to Commonplace Rare