This story contains examples of:
- Aerith and Bob: Kalharians have made-up fantasy names like Kathelm and Meunig, while the Gurdur have Herbrew names such as Ethan and Joseph. One Gurdur tribe names women after virtues, such as Charity.
- Chekhov's Gun: Spurrig's knife.
- Fantasy Counterpart Culture: The Kalharians have a bit in common with the Romans.
- Functional Magic: Magic is tied to a natural resource and requires special training.
- Happily Ever After: Subverted.
- The Empire
- Thanatos Gambit: Ezekiel in Chapter 1-18.