Jacob Doakes has an unusual hobby- he loves to explore abandoned places. Crumbling halls, collapsed staircases, long-empty rooms... every one tells him a story. But on one moonlit night, a trip down the wrong corridor sends him tumbling- not to his death, but into an entirely new world. Now, to return home, Jacob must unearth the story and alter the mysterious fate of the grandest abandoned place he's ever explored:
The Rogue Wolf, acclaimed author of Crossed Paths
, returns with another masterpiece. Written in Dust
is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Fan Fic
, and can be read here
Tropes present in this work:
- Adventure Archaeologist: Jacob, although Canterlot is a bit more than he bargained for in the adventure department.
- Apocalypse How: On a planetary scale, falling somewhere between type III and IV; all sapient life has been eradicated on the planet of Equus, thanks to a massive Depopulation Bomb.
- Badass Normal: Jacob/Story. He tussles with a corrupted, nigh-unkillable timber wolf as a human, and then makes a Heroic Sacrifice as a unicorn. He gets better, though.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Happens to Trixie, thanks to a combination of the entropic magic getting out of her control, and the schizophrenia-inducing side effects of the arcanocite/silver nitrate mixture.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Jacob, while possessing Story. Ends up subverted, though, since both of them are still alive at the end of the fic.
- Mundane Utility: Inverted. The 'flash' function of Story's camera spell ends up being used to temporarily blind Trixie at one point.