'Why… Why do I stay here... Why don't I ever just, run away? Am I afraid, am I that determined with a job, no matter how everyone treats me or... or...'
A Touhou Fanfic written by Shippokren. It can be found here
Hong Meiling's time in the Scarlet Devil Mansion seems to become more bitter and worse the longer she stays. Everyone she has known is insane or killed. Now it seems she protects the people from going into the mansion more then the mansion itself.
Ongoing with 6 chapters released now!
Tropes contained within "The Only Protector" include::
- Complete Monster - Sakuya... Sakuya, Sakuya, dear god, Sakuya.
- Dark Fic
- Deadly Game - Sakuya's friendly game of Two-Minute Kill.
- There are three people, the Human, the bad Youkai, and the good Youkai. The human is the goal and the good Youkai needs to get to the goal before the bad Youkai does. If the good Youkai catches the Human, they win and set the human go. But… if the bad Youkai gets her, She is killed, gutted, and eaten by the bad Youkai and they win. There is also a catch. The game is called Two-minute Kill for a reason. You see, the bad Youkai already knows where the location of the human, the good one doesn't. But, the bad Youkai is very slow and the good one is very fast. So, as the bad one paces itself to the human the good Youkai runs as fast as they can and try to find the human before the bad one does. Whichever Youkai gets to closest to Human in a two minute time limit wins the game. If both come at the same time within the time limit they fight each other off till one is left dead. If both of them die, no one lives and the human dies from an unknown Youkai.
- Denied Food - Sakuya apparently forgets to bring Hong food and makes her almost starve to death.
- Flash Back - Chapter 3 has some small flash backs with Sakuya getting train by Meiling and Sakuya giving Meiling her traditional hat.
- At the end, it shows Sakuya in bandages and bleeding. It is implied that someone or something tried to kill her.
- Heroic BSOD - Meiling. So many times.
- Killed Off for Real - Cirno and Daiyousei
- It's All My Fault
- My Greatest Failure
- No Name Given - Pretty much all the fairies in this Fic are named "Red/Blue/Green/and Yellow fairy" The only ones that have names that are fairies are Cirno, Daiyousei, and Lily White.
- Senseless Sacrifice - In chapter 3, The maids and the two red fairies on Hong's back pretty much get knifed to death because it was part of Hong's punishment. Her punishment was suppose to be dealt on her, not anyone else.
- When Kaokuma attacks Sakuya.
- Daiyousei when she attacks Flandre.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad - Most of the characters in the Fic get more screen time then Hong- the main character of the story.
- Strange Syntax Speaker - Cirno seems to love mispronouncing a lot of her words.
- Cirno: "What'da ya talk'in about!?"
- Too Dumb to Live - That blue fairy in chapter two.
- Possibly the two red fairies as well.
- You Said You Would Let Them Go - Patchy: "You said no one was going to die, you lied… Both of you lied."
- What Could Possibly Go Wrong? - In chapter 4, Cirno decides to send all the fairies up the hill to take over the Scarlet Devil mansion. Of course, nothing will go wrong with this... right?