Fan Fic / The Dove Thief
A Detective Conan Fan Fic
by Magic Conan 14
that can be read here
. It's of the fantasy/humour genre and was first published in 2013. It came to its end the following year having a short but complete run of 3 chapters.
Akako casts a spell on Kaito which causes him to turn into a dove. However, Kaito somehow manages to change back. By utilising his new skill of Voluntary Shapeshifting
, he pulls off a heist with a difference.Once a Dove
is the one-shot pilot of the idea - The Dove Thief
is actually a What If?
for the spell at the beginning of Once a Dove
Note: This article is for both Once a Dove
and The Dove Thief
, since the first chapter of the latter is very similar to the former.
The Dove Thief and Once a Dove contain examples of:
- 108: Ambush position 108.
- Attack Pattern Alpha: See 108 above.
- Civilised Animal: See Talking Animal below.
- Fingerless Gloves: In The Dove Thief, Kaito sports a pair as part of a disguise.
- If I Can't Have You...: Akako says this word for word.
- Meaningful Name: The Dove Thief has Shiro and Kuro. Shiro is white in Japanese, and Kuro is black in Japanese. However, Kuro is grey, not black.
- Phantom Thief: the Kaito Kid, of course.
- Shout-Out: Once a Dove has Chris, Jonny, Will and Guy. The names may seem unrelated at first, but when you realise that the four names are the names of Coldplay, it all makes sense.
- In The Dove Thief, Kaito wears fingerless gloves from a thrift shop - the author was trying to allude to Thrift Shop by Macklemore And Ryan Lewis.
- Talking Animal: Kaito in dove/pigeon form. It's lampshaded by people's jaws dropping at him talking. The gang of pigeons or the duo of doves, depending on which version you read, are also Talking Animals.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Kaito's fear of fish pops up in both. After all, Once a Dove is one of 50 one-shots starring Kaito and his reaction to fish.
- In The Dove Thief, Shiro even lampshades it by stating that he and Kuro already know about Kaito's ichthyophobia.