about live blogs
add a live blog
The Great Nitpicky Live Blog of El Goonish Shive
Strips 731-740 (The Great Idiot Party of 05-06)Strip 731
- They have such tiny torsoooos.
- Why do you draw them like thaaaaat.
- And why did Grace's boobs grow in the penultimate panel?
- Oh...suckiness, how shall I count the ways?
- Lets start with the minor stuff. That is a horrible, awkwardly worded punchline.
- Stereotypical girl worrying about fat. If you're going to a party, I don't think anyone expects you to have healthy food then cake.
- Seriously, why wouldn't there be pizza at a party?
- If not pizza, then chips?
- OK, now lets get to the big one.
- Here, we see that Tedd doesn't think hammers are a big deal.
- Completely obliterating any importance Susan's hammers actually held.
- Which, of course, goes back to Susan's supposed act of saving Tedd from the bully, making it completely meaningless, even more.
- And it also means that Tedd is taking Sarah's threat seriously.
- I mean, sure, you can always say "I'm going to drive you over with my car" or something like that, but nobody expects you to actually do it.
- Tedd here, be it for the idiotic Rule of Funny or not, seems to be fully understanding that Sarah would go through such a thing.
- And that is OK?
- Imagine if Elliot threatened to go to Nanase's knees with a hammer, or something. I mean, yeesh.
- Violent little twitch, ain't she?
Sketchbook Strip 120905
This will distract all of the readers, clearly. Not just Shive. Oh no siree.
And it's OK! Because it's done ironically!
I think Shive is the hipster of fanservice.
- Shive, you might draw them in a small size, but your lesbian fantasies cannot hide from me.
- I see them.
- I see all of them.
- Also, gotta love how twu wuv Nanase is the ONLY one to notice that Ellen is all mopey. Nobody else. Not Elliot, who is her brother. Not Tedd, who she grew up with and is best friends with (or was, until she became a girl, and thus no longer allowed to have the same friends).
- Nope. Only Nanase.
- AND THEY ARE GOING TO HAVE SEX.
- HOW DID WE NOT SEE THIS COMING?
- First, I just want to say that this is surprisingly legitimate angst.
- And it shows Ellen getting pretty pissed at Sarah's reaction to turning into a cat.
- This is a cause and effect. This is good.
- I mean, he used the word bitch, and it wasn't even narmy.
- Now that I've gotten that out of the way, lets focus on the bad.
- Note, they still refuse to change her back into a male.
- It never comes up.
- If she wants to be different than Elliot, then she could just look like a different male. I mean, now she has to deal with periods and all that stuff, stuff that she wasn't raised to be prepared for.
- Well, until the dreamses, but hey, all that does is give her angst, in the end. I don't even know if it changes her personality, since she is still Nanase's perfect match.
- Ellen is in a situation that frankly is made way more painful than it needs to be.
- Now, that's mostly retreading of old criticisms, so, instead, I'm going to put on my future goggles.
- For you see, Shive completely fucks this one piece of angst up.
- Aw shit, Shive is mixing it up with the gradients.
- Dear lord. Look at that thought bubble.
- He's thinking like some aristocrat.
- Who thinks like that?
- "Best I stay here"?
- If you had given any indication of eloquency before this, Justy, I'd be fine, but you've given no said indication of it!
- Oh look. The Duck is a male heterosexual humansexual duck. Because clearly, that is what everyone is attracted to, ever.
- And no.
- No touché.
- One is a different species, one is a slight variation in looks that commonly shows up in half the population anyway.
- And of course, no alcohol. Because Shive is against alcohol of any kind.
- Why wouldn't Ellen sneak some in?
- She seems like the type.
- Oh right, that got retconned away.
Sketchbook Strip 121905
See! Shive doesn't want to objectify Ellen! Just females in general!
...is that a collar?
- Omigod. *_* Look at all the backgrounds.
- And it's a long strip too. Wow.
- Damn, Nanase must be really tall to rival the height of a door.
- That poor bastardly female.
- Except her height fluctuates once we get to a different angle. Lovely.
- Pick a height, Shive. Pick a damn height.
- Lets get this straight.
- Nanase likes Ellen, but doesn't know Ellen knows that.
- Ellen knows, and knows that Nanase doesn't know that she knows.
- If we remove Ellen from the equation, Nanase is being a total effin creep here.
- I mean, think about it. How would you react if someone hugged you like that, saying those things, and you had no effin idea why?
- It's creepy!
- Sure, Ellen knew, so that MAGICALLY makes things ok, but what if she knew and didn't feel the same way?
- That would make things worse!
- And Nanase hugs Ellen like the creepy idiot that she is, with complete disregard for social skills!
- Skills that she berated Elliot for not having oh so long ago when Elliot took Sarah to the martial arts class!
Sketchbook Strip 122605
Notice how they are all females again.
- And now Shive is just misusing his new fancy gradient.
- ...why didn't Sarah start out next to Elliot in the first place, anyway?
- The sudden inclusion of darkness in the gradient is a nice touch, but it's still incredibly lazy.
- Yeah, remember that almost realistic conflict with Ellen?
- Well, we can't have THAT in a series.
- TIME TO MAKE IT GO AWAY COMPLETELY.
- THERE! NOW NOBODY HATES ANYONE!
- EVERYBODY LOVES EACH OTHER.
- EVERYBODY IS A BFFLE CONFLICTLESS UNION OF :Dness.
- BE HAPPY.
- Also, the scab comment is a bit amusing, since it's a reference that isn't explained at all, and isn't needed to understand the strip.
- Also, how the hell did Sarah fall that badly?
- She was never shown to be clumsy before this.
- Why would she fall from the door?
- Have you ever fallen from opening a door?
- Or was the door already opened, and she tripped on a stair?
- Why did she fall so epically?
- Don't most people just trip?
- And all is peachy keen now.
- I think I made my distaste for this clear enough.
- Because, honestly, that's just all kinds of horrible wrap up.
- It's like everyone has the same standards to how people are treated.
- Bah I say.
You know what?
I refuse to waste my anger on this kawaii desu terminology semantics bullshit.
17th Jul 11
18th Jul 11
18th Jul 11
I do the same with her antennae... But she has DNA from 'things' with antennae, and considering this comic's mix'n'match genetic coding, I think it makes sense. In it's own way.
TV Tropes by
TV Tropes Foundation, LLC is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
19th Jul 11
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available from firstname.lastname@example.org.