TV Tropes by
TV Tropes Foundation, LLC is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
about live blogs
add a live blog
The Great Nitpicky Live Blog of El Goonish Shive
Strips 641-650 (Totally Realistic Highschool Situations)
- Oh god, I think I am having Yellow Submarine flashbacks...
- Mr. Generic uninteresting man.
- He's...he's gonna be Susan's love interest, isn't he?
- And...he hasn't done anything yet.
- OH MY GOD—!
- HE'S NOAH 2.0!!
- THAT EXPLAINS SO MUCH!
- Every straight male has the exact same tastes in clothing, you see.
- I mean, OK, yes, less clothing equals for the hotter girls, but not everyone is going to like it. Because apparently Mr. Hitler, Tedd and Elliot all have the exact same tastes in girls.
- I like this Sarah. She's playful. Pity it doesn't stick.
- You know how I said aliens didn't play any part in the rest of the series?
- Except for the part about how when they do, they could easily be replaced by humans?
- Shive, Shive, SHIVE!
- It's called asexuality. We already have a term for it.
- AND WHY DOES HER PLOT HAVE TO BE ABOUT ROMANCE AND NOT SOMETHING INTERESTING TO BREAK UP THE NON ACTIONYNESS OF THE PARTY?
- Everytime I read this strip, I have to reread the first panel because I always forget who Susan is talking to, because that looks nothing like Ellen.
- Once again, Ellen's avatar shows quite a healthy amount of adjustment to being female, and scarily so.
- Wait, no, forget the avatar. Just try to imagine Elliot 'glomping' anyone.
- Or how about the fact that Elliot didn't care about picking clothes and Ellen did?
- I don't even know why I keep pressing this point. Shive clearly wants to ignore the fact they are clones, and just have Ellen be "Ellen" from the alien world, even though she will claim that she still likes girls, which her alien universe version didn't.
- Dear lord is this complicated.
- This makes more sense and less contrived when you realize that Susan is playing matchmaker.
- This makes less sense when you wonder why Susan would play matchmaker.
- I guess because she's actually nice, even though we've really seen no indication of this niceness so far, except for being dragged along by whatever plot is occurring at the moment?
- Unless you count hitting Tony with a hammer, and I don't count any hammer related act as remotely nice.
- Those are some scary-ass sidemouths, O' second panel.
- OH MY GOD SUSAN HAS CROTCH PANTS
- Why am I surprised by this?
- Oh my god susan has crotch pants
- Oh, THERE we go, Ellen IS Elliot after all! Why that means she still acts differently from him is beyond me.
- I GUESS she's supposed to be a mixture of Elliot and...someone else, but it's never really balanced properly, and instead we only get the occasional reminder out of the blue, that, if anything, just ruins the consistency.
- You can't have things both ways, Shive.
- Yeah, this might seem like a 'damned if you do damned if you don't' for Shive, but no. You see, he was damned the minute he DID. Now he's trying to go BACK and it's NOT THAT EASY!
- Ewgh. Tony looks like he is wearing spandex.
- And clearly, Hedge has not done much to improve Shive's muscle drawing abilities.
- 'That one girl'?
- Aren't these the same dudes that were all too quick to tell Elliot that they had nicknamed her "The Hammer Queen"?
- Hey look! The people nobody likes are disagreeing with the main characters! WOW!
- Oh. Yeah. Look. A black person. Take pictures, guys, he won't be around forever...
- Hey Susan.
- Remember your psycho mom?
- The one that got you to go to France years early?
- WHY DON'T YOU USE HER?
- And this is why I can't STAND people who think Shive is some uber great foreshadower with this all planned out.
- Because he clearly doesn't.
- And even if he does, he simply doesn't think anything through!
- Now, even if Susan was not about to ask her mom, don't you think she would have found out when the school contacted her?
- See what I mean? We have two different characters with two different motivations and they clash together and they benefit from each other.
- But it only seems to happen with the main group. No outside sources can do the same thing. And that is where the problem comes. Everything is isolated. There is no girl with legs she can't stand to reveal to the world, and no male who is a feminist. Out of hundreds of kids, they are all faceless drones that don't interact with the plot until they get the one specified moment or two.
- Like, REALLY, do you know how HARD and EXPENSIVE it would be to get a PUBLIC SCHOOL to get uniforms?
- All these plot threads are just so ISOLATED. They show up out of nowhere, and then they disappear into the abyss when Shive is done with them, and that is just poor planning and plotting.
- The goo looks more and more like that meat monster from Danny Phantom...
- What a clear pathway they have. I want to go to this school.
- I dunno about y'all, but I think it would have hilarious if that was the physics teacher Shive used in this strip, even if it would make no sense time-wise.
- Also, why is Nanase acting like she never met Grace? She had the whole stoner bonding scene with her! Granted, NO ONE remembers that scene, but it's still there!
- So she has no right to act like she knows nothing about her.
- And we can't have any characters be suspicious about Grace, so we shall SET HIM STRAIGHT THROUGH THE POWER OF OBJECTIVITY!
- Hooray for mono-morality!
God, the more I read your liveblog, the more this comic makes me think of one of those After School Specials gone wrong. <:p
13th Mar 11
14th Mar 11
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available from firstname.lastname@example.org.