Hello my pretties. Sorry for the delay, I had had this typed up, but then I exited out and…yeah.
Anywho, this time I decided to type it all onto Word before pasting it into the thread, but that MIGHT result in some formatting problems.
- Notice that Elliot is not holding the lighter.
- And now he is. MAGIC!
- Apparently, gradients are drama-sensitive
- Also, I’ve noticed that Shive has started using teeth again in his comics. He apparently waited until he stopped sucking at them.
- How in the world did Elliot end up falling face down?
- Tedd’s hair fluctuates, as per usual.
- INCOMING NITPICK RANT
- Here we see the conclusion of Shive’s parody of Japanese names and what not. The problem with this is that we NEVER see such a character trait like this in Elliot again (at least, to my knowledge). In exactly one strip, Grace will be introduced. That will snowball into Ellen. There is NO WAY that Shive wrote this before having a general idea of what Elliot would be like. Yes when this strip first came out there really was no solid characterization for Elliot, but in retrospect it’s just sloppy, and puts humor over characterization. Elliot is one of the more bland characters. He lacks a quirk other than being the straight man and other than some hints of Shive trying to make him the snarker of the group, all we really get is a lot of static characterization that does not gel very well. Finally while some series will put humor as a top priority over everything else this is not something everyone can do, as evidenced by Elliot’s handling.
- You know, we never actually saw the goo do anything bad. Elliot’s a murderer now. I hope your happy.
- Why would Tedd want to use water if fire would work just fine? Why did it not absorb the fire? Why didn’t the cigarette lighter just go through it? Why is this plot so painfully simple?
- Look at Elliot’s hand. It looks like something I would draw on a bad day.
- Actually no, it looks like something Cakman would draw on a GOOD day.
- Grace’s figure bothers me. Why did Shive have to detail her back like that? Do girls really stand like that? Sure as hell hope not, or I have some serious slouching to practice.
- We also get to see that his necks are horribly out of proportion to the rest of the body, thanks to the silhouette.
- Finally, in the penultimate panel Grace’s arms are way out of whack. They look incredibly stunted. I suppose you could justify this as saying her elbows are bending outwards which is impossible to see due to the shadowiness, but they are going straight down. If she was bending her arms her arms would have to be coming up towards the newspaper
- So we get resolution on the goo plot. FINALLY. That means we are ONE arc down and about THIRTY more to go. SUWEET.
- I suppose that way back in 2002, cellphones and wireless phones did not exist. I’m not even being sarcastic here, just giving him the benefit of a doubt. Although, this rather clashes with the more recent strips where cellphones become a plot point so…
- Not too much going on here, so I want to focus on Shive’s use of foreshadowing. This will be a reoccurring problem later on and it will only get much worse. One would assume the next bunch of strips would detail this mysterious girl, or at least Tedd running into her.
- No. Just…just no.
- Instead we get about six strips that confirm nothing but one character likes another. And that perv jokes are still not funny.
- Anyone that knows this series knows of the epic yearlong party plot. I see this strip as a warning of bad planning to come.
- No disrespect to Shive here, but I got serious Oda vibes from this strip. Mostly in the curves. As I have said previously, he can draw boobs just fine. He still needs to work on the waist.
- She also has Elliot’s nose
- There is that back curve again. I am beginning to grow worried.
- So, Sarah likes Elliot it seems!
- Why you ask?
- WELL, it’s CLEARLY because of the interesting and deep personality he had before the whole goo incident!
- Yeah OK I got nothing.
- SERIOUSLY. Are you honestly trying to tell me that she somehow fell for Elliot because he wanted to see her in a bikini? No. Offscreen time is NOT a valid excuse. In fact, I think instead of this whole ‘Sarah likes Elliot’ thing, I think that Elliot and Sarah could have had some actual TALK time while TEDD talked to the PLOT!
- But nooooooooo. Instead we get a lesbian joke. Because it’s funny. Because Tedd is male. And masturbates. With his penis.
- Then again, it’s not like Sarah has any personality either. Maybe they’re a match made in heaven.
- I would also like to say that Elliot being this dumb makes a lot more sense if you consider the fact that he’s already dating Nanase. He’s obviously doing it on purpose. In fact, if the title is anything to go by, I’d say something similar happened to the person Shive was asking.
- So, it’s apparently cold now. Odd since before Elliot had no problem with a t-shirt. Maybe this is a time skip. Or maybe the white backgrounds are actually walls of snow that have been trapping Moperville from the outside world.
- Evidently, Sarah did not get the memo about the new toothy style of drawing. Pity.
- HAH! SEE? SARAH IS A WELL THOUGHT OUT CHARACTER THAT IS NOT A STEREOTYPICAL CHICK BECAUSE HER ‘PREFERECES’ ARE NOT DEFINED BY HER GENDER!
- Except when they totally are for the rest of the series
- OHOHOHO! That Tedd. He certainly is a riot that one. He’s so perverted. I bet he even thinks about sex sometimes, can you IMAGINE?
- Although, to be fair, this exchange does make more sense if you realize that Tedd is compensating for something.
- Elliot’s joke is amusing as a funny background event, I will admit.
- Dear god Sarah. Why do you want to date Elliot again? You obviously dislike Tedd. Don’t you think there is a REASON they are friends?
- BWUH!?!?!? WHAT IS THIS? Can it…can it be…?
- Honest to goodness…BACKGROUNDS?!!? Oh break out the angel choir it’s a miracle. I do believe EGS has entered officially into Art Evolution Mode!
- Elliot’s head is still deformed.
- Notice he also seems to have a strand that goes in front of his head, but on the full frontal views, he has none.
- I love how he does not draw a specific president on that bill. It’s like he’s afraid someone is going to look it up and complain about how he slaughtered it or how tickets don’t cost anywhere near that amount.
- Elliot now has a nose. A weird simpsons’nose, but a nose all the same.
- So we finally get back to the good ol’ Tedd looks like a girl joke. I can just see Shive doing this on purpose, just to remind us. Why? Because of plot, duh. Tedd can’t be the wangsty bullied type if there is no reason to bully him.
- Also, this is still what I like to think as other!Sarah. She has that permanent grrr glare to her. Consider Sarah of the now having that look. You would assume she was possessed, or more accurately, you would assume Ellen had turned into Sarah.
- I think the joke would have worked better at the end if instead of saying ‘what’ Tedd just acted confused or something. Perhaps a ‘?!?’ thing or something.
And that’d be it folks! Will try and update again today, but if not, tune in for what might or might not be the plot!