Follow TV Tropes
First off, I was baited into thinking it was gonna be great.
Ok, honestly, the first 5 books were very good, it just went horribly off the rails in book 6 and is beyond redemption in book 8
- Great artwork! Basically the greatest steal. There's no panel where it isn't lovingly detailed, despite the simplistic rendition of the characters.
- Intriguing storyline. It's not so bad, incredibly cliche, but it holds up.
- Likable characters. Kazu is pretty good at this stuff.
WHEW WHERE DO I BEGIN
- Abandoned plot lines and unexplained plot holes. Its biggest issue. Kazu adds and abandons subplots at a drop of a hat, and as a result, it leaves you deeply unsatisfied.
- Underdeveloped characters. A lot of moments that can be used to add nuance to them is sacrificed for inflated action scenes. There's technically two characters who actually had a developed backstory, and neither of them are the main protagonists (hint: if the fact his character tropes are so long that it's on a separate page didn't clue you in, it's Trellis).
- Unecessary stuff. The series is closing, but instead of wrapping up past threads, Kazu keeps adding new characters, elements, and plotlines that had to be resolved in like, 5 pages and ends up incredibly disatisfying, forced, and unecessary as a result. The biggest offender is Navin's plot, particularly in book 8.
- Sudden genre shift. The thing everyone felt when they read Supernova: Betrayal. Next is disappointment. I paid time and money for that book and by god it did not deliver. At all. As an old fan, it was a gut punch. We expected it to be a fantasy book, hence why we signed up for it, but for some reason he's turning it into star wars. What? You didn't even bother to explain why Emily is the chosen one?
Anyways, will be begrudgingly wait for the final volume.
tl;dr: it's a flaming hot garbage shitshow
Community Showcase More
How well does it match the trope?