Follow TV Tropes

Following

Roll To Dodge 5: AKA I Shouldn't Legally Be Allowed To DM Anything

Go To

JTTWlover Flower power from Chinese Heaven Relationship Status: Shipping fictional characters
Flower power
May 17th 2020 at 6:51:06 AM

"Does this happen often?" I say as I am just staring at what happened.

>Just... ask the tavernkeeper if there is anything I can do to help.

Willy, we are in the capital city.

If thereís a book you want to read, but it hasnít been written yet, then you must write it. Toni Morrison
Baisteach wEt from Traverse Town Relationship Status: Cigarettes and Valentines
wEt
May 17th 2020 at 7:49:39 AM

>Leave the tavern before the keeper starts to want recompense.

Edited by Baisteach on May 17th 2020 at 7:53:23 AM

Tristeza n„o tem fim. / Felicidade sim.
WillyFourEyes Fake American from I'm not telling! Relationship Status: Mu
May 17th 2020 at 7:59:19 AM

[up][up]Oh. Scratch that last command, then. I'll sit this turn out.

Edited by WillyFourEyes on May 17th 2020 at 11:02:58 AM

ArmoredFury soppo & woppo from exile
soppo & woppo
May 17th 2020 at 8:22:30 AM

> Peek out of my room to see the commotion

> Go back in

> Pray harder

Leaving this world is not as scary as it sounds.
AutisticAlivia Back to my Author Avatar now from Everywhere on TV Tropes Relationship Status: Desperate
Back to my Author Avatar now
May 17th 2020 at 9:41:17 AM

> Take down whatever he's talking about

Insert Backyardigans song here, also, go watch Annoying Orange
CustardAndPie Ain't got no tears left to cry from in my mind Relationship Status: I wanna know about these strangers like me
Ain't got no tears left to cry
medievalParadox "In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed!" from any device that can get onto the internet Relationship Status: Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed!"
May 18th 2020 at 2:20:25 PM

>Quickly walk away from the flaming tavern but before i do that I tell the barbarian. "I'll uh, I'll look forward to starting our quest tomorrow. I'm Percy Middens by the way. Let's hope that this is just an angry god throwing a tantrum and not a bad omen."

Here's a Godmodder. Please Kill him before he fucks up everything. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=15527074470A62989200
unfortunatezorua dRY from despacito spaghett ugandan chungus Relationship Status: watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
dRY
May 18th 2020 at 6:26:31 PM

TURN 9

>Stare in stunned silence
>Just... ask the tavernkeeper if there is anything I can do to help

Hesitantly, you walk over to him and give your feeble offer, but he still seems to be in too much shock to respond. You honestly can't tell whether he's trying to form words or just pull his mouth shut.

"The...the ceiling..."

>Leave the tavern before the keeper starts to want recompense.
>Quickly walk away from the flaming tavern but before i do that I tell the barbarian. "I'll uh, I'll look forward to starting our quest tomorrow. I'm Percy Middens by the way. Let's hope that this is just an angry god throwing a tantrum and not a bad omen."

While everyone else is distracted, you take the opportunity to dip, whistling innocently as you back out of the exitónobody seems to notice, thankfully. No way in hell you're dealing with that.

>Peek out of my room to see the commotion
>Go back in
>Pray harder

You hear the explosion and swing out of your room, prepared for a fight...only to see a lightning strike hit the rogue, who then books it out of the tavern on his own two feet, and the tavernkeep staring up in despair at the mutilated ceiling. Your eyes widen for a split second before you slowly, slowly pull the doorknob back into place.

The door closes with a miniscule creak. You proceed to sit down and beg the holy forces for more sanity.

>Eat the peanuts I yoinked from the tavern

You pop a few into your mouth.

They're very peanut-y. Almost too peanut-y.

Roll to defend against the peanutness: 5
Peanuts' roll: 4

You fend off the peanutness...for now...

>Start considering how to tackle the Nightwalker quest, going off my assumptions
>Wake up in the morning and go join the Hunting Nightwalker group
>Take down whatever he's talking about

That's right, you guessed it; it's time to t-t-t-t-timeskip. So you all head home for the night in your own ways, maybe boarding up somewhere else or in your houses, and the next morning sees you gathering up in the tavern.

Well, not exactly in the tavern. It's more like outside of it. And a good distance to the side. Safely away from view from the windows, yes.

It would've been a little awkward to waltz in the next day after calling down gods to split the roof in half like a block of cheese. The barbarian tries to make a joke about this, to no avail. You wonder absentmindedly if the keeper's still going to hunt you down for that.

Rahgot sighs, getting down to business when you begin setting off. About time. "Okay. Let's just...forget what happened last night, alright? We'll be taking the morning train to Horrset, then heading on foot to the town through a forest."

"Anyone have other questions about the quest on the way?"

no
Myskywarm Dipper and Pacifica being cute from Ee-arth Relationship Status: Wishing you were here
Dipper and Pacifica being cute
May 18th 2020 at 6:28:40 PM

> "What do we need to know when encountering this Nightwalker?"

Why do we only realize our sins, when everything has come to an end...?
WillyFourEyes Fake American from I'm not telling! Relationship Status: Mu
May 18th 2020 at 6:37:04 PM

>"How many Nightwalkers do you think there'll be?"

ArmoredFury soppo & woppo from exile
soppo & woppo
May 18th 2020 at 9:49:50 PM

> Explain to the others my theory that the Nightwalker might be a Nightshade

> Recall if there is some kind of Religious protection against such creatures.

Leaving this world is not as scary as it sounds.
JTTWlover Flower power from Chinese Heaven Relationship Status: Shipping fictional characters
Flower power
May 18th 2020 at 11:04:54 PM

>I've gathered one or two more seeds from my "bed" in the bushes. Ask if they know where the Lightning Rogue went.

If thereís a book you want to read, but it hasnít been written yet, then you must write it. Toni Morrison
Afterwards the cake is an alternative fact from Where Nothing Gathers Relationship Status: He makes me feel like I have a heart
the cake is an alternative fact
May 18th 2020 at 11:20:42 PM

>Play a little tune to get everyone's spirits up.

A full course meal on the Holy Night! The last supper, Ultima Cena!
Baisteach wEt from Traverse Town Relationship Status: Cigarettes and Valentines
AutisticAlivia Back to my Author Avatar now from Everywhere on TV Tropes Relationship Status: Desperate
Back to my Author Avatar now
May 19th 2020 at 2:36:40 AM

> "Uh... what do we do?"

Insert Backyardigans song here, also, go watch Annoying Orange
TabbyGirl4 Beta Kokichi except not from The Nowhere Islands Relationship Status: watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
Beta Kokichi except not
May 19th 2020 at 4:37:32 AM

>Tell everyone to shut up

"I'm Mary Poppins, Y'all!" - Yondu,2017 | My Discord Server
GoldenCityBird Day 143 from the UK
Day 143
May 19th 2020 at 4:42:26 AM

>"I have no questions yet. Unless, of course, "Can we keep the train?" is an answerable question."

Was the sound of distant drumming...
medievalParadox "In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed!" from any device that can get onto the internet Relationship Status: Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed!"
May 19th 2020 at 1:35:59 PM

>I would nod. "No questions here, we go to the place, kill or capture the thing and get paid. Seems simple enough."

Here's a Godmodder. Please Kill him before he fucks up everything. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=15527074470A62989200
CustardAndPie Ain't got no tears left to cry from in my mind Relationship Status: I wanna know about these strangers like me
Ain't got no tears left to cry
May 19th 2020 at 7:51:26 PM

> Just sit on the shoulder of my familiar as he gives a silent thumbs-up

Hey, how you doin' well I'm doin' just fine I lied I'm dying inside
Oggy123 Kirby from Jakarta, Indonesia
Kirby
May 20th 2020 at 12:03:15 AM

Is it too late to join?

Edited by Oggy123 on May 21st 2020 at 2:04:18 AM

Afterwards the cake is an alternative fact from Where Nothing Gathers Relationship Status: He makes me feel like I have a heart
the cake is an alternative fact
May 20th 2020 at 4:00:42 AM

u can still join whenever, now would be a prime opportunity even

A full course meal on the Holy Night! The last supper, Ultima Cena!
TacoBadger Well, itís a badger, thatís for sure from either behind you or Albuquerque Relationship Status: The Skitty to my Wailord
Well, itís a badger, thatís for sure
May 20th 2020 at 6:06:12 PM

>"Oh dear oh dear, am I late to this whole thing?"

Huzzah
unfortunatezorua dRY from despacito spaghett ugandan chungus Relationship Status: watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
dRY
May 21st 2020 at 12:27:07 AM

TURN 10

>"What do we need to know when encountering this Nightwalker?"
>"How many Nightwalkers do you think there'll be?"
>"Uh... what do we do?"

"Your guess is as good as mine. But from what the townsfolk are saying, it usually appears in the town's central either early in the morning or late at night, when there's too much fog to get a good look at it."

"The bodies were discovered in the marsh a way down from the south entrance. And apparently, while we were meeting up last night, they all disappeared from the morgue. If our friend the cleric here's right, that could mean something else's at work; the Nightwalker's never taken anyone after they died."

The barbarian looks unsettled at Roddy's question. "Hopefully just one, but that's why the others and I are splitting up to investigate the other town anyway. We have free run of the place to hunt it down. If we don't find it right away, that is."

Before long, you arrive at the train station.

>Explain to the others my theory that the Nightwalker might be a Nightshade
>Recall if there is some kind of Religious protection against such creatures

You recount the legend you remembered the other day as you board. According to you, Nightshades are a species of creature from a negative plane, that can be accessed from the Shadow dimension. Typically, they can take appearances of anything from a monstrously large sandworm to a gargoyle with sapient intelligence. The one you're facing seems to be some sort of daemonic giant.

Supposedly, they have the ability to destroy beings by drawing life out of them. There isn't any specific defence against them, but they are vulnerable to fire damage and other sources of bright light. Hence the name. ...duh.

>I've gathered one or two more seeds from my "bed" in the bushes. Ask if they know where the Lightning Rogue went
>Thank the Lord for blessing you

Everyone looks at you for a beat before pointing at Abarron, who is sitting beside you and is, for lack of better term, praising the heavens.

>Play a little tune to get everyone's spirits up

You rolled a: 1 + 1 Skill bonus = 2

You figure you could give the party a little buff before you enter battle, so you pull out your guitar and strum a few notes experimentally. Hmmm, what to play, what to play. Judging from the Nightwalker (shade?)'s description, you might be needing a little extra boost of speed to keep out of its grasp.

You clear your throat and begin. The magic hums under your fingers, beginning to work its effects. "Almost heaven, Westó"

>Tell everyone to shut up

"EVERYBODY SHUT UP!" you yell out of nowhere, cutting off the bard's spell. They all stare at you in shock.

"...eh? What was that for?" the warlock says numbly.

>"Oh dear oh dear, am I late to this whole thing?"

"No, in fact, you're just in time," the barbarian answers, surprised. "...wait a minute, who said that?"

He looks around in confusion, not really noticing you standing next to his boot.

>I have no questions yet. Unless, of course, "Can we keep the train?" is an answerable question."
>I would nod. "No questions here, we go to the place, kill or capture the thing and get paid. Seems simple enough."
>Just sit on the shoulder of my familiar as he gives a silent thumbs-up

The barbarian still seems to think your familiar is the actual wizard. And no, we can't steal the train, he says, unless you're suddenly having urges to become a citywide terrorist.

Ironically, just then, you feel a low rumble beneath your feet in the compartmentóan obnoxiously loud release of smoke signalling the train in question's departure.

You eagerly await the horrors that lay ahead.


The miniature settlement of Harrowedfen lives up to its name, you think, with its gloomy antiquated architecture and trickles of mist rolling across damp cobblestone.
In some other universe, it could've made a fitting backdrop for an old Western or small-town mystery, but for you this is anything butóthe absence of citizens out and about only serving to make it seem all the more empty and lifeless. You don't even see any insects buzzing around.

A chipped wooden sign hanging over the walls displays its name in faded black paint ("Now Entering Harrowedfen". You're not sure what visitors they expected with a greeting like that. Androids with Google maps, maybe?) The city hall's spire skewers the haze above directly south of you, while the residential district is to the east, and a lumber mill along with some storehouses lie west. The farms are up north, nearby the stone entrance you're standing in front of.

More jarringly, you're starting to notice a distinct stench of rot wafting in. Almost like...an open grave. And hey, are those corpses strewn on the street?

>What's your first move?

Edited by unfortunatezorua on May 21st 2020 at 10:29:29 PM

no
ArmoredFury soppo & woppo from exile
soppo & woppo
May 21st 2020 at 12:32:33 AM

> Check the corpses. Look for wounds, time of death, personal belongings, etc.

Leaving this world is not as scary as it sounds.
Baisteach wEt from Traverse Town Relationship Status: Cigarettes and Valentines

Total posts: 146
Top

How well does it match the trope?

Example of:

/

Media sources:

/

Report