Follow TV Tropes

Following

Roll To Dodge 5: AKA I Shouldn't Legally Be Allowed To DM Anything

Go To

Baisteach wEt from Traverse Town Relationship Status: Cigarettes and Valentines
wEt
May 12th 2020 at 9:23:31 PM

> Pickpocket one of those delicious socialites

Tristeza não tem fim. / Felicidade sim.
ArmoredFury soppo & woppo from exile
soppo & woppo
May 12th 2020 at 9:24:28 PM

> Order a mug of high-proof alcohol, then eavesdrop on the spirited conversation.

Leaving this world is not as scary as it sounds.
medievalParadox "In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed!" from any device that can get onto the internet Relationship Status: Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed!"
May 12th 2020 at 9:43:24 PM

Name: Percy Middens

Race: Human

Class & Occupation: Fighter and Homeless adventurer

Skills: Perception and Insight

Edited by medievalParadox on May 12th 2020 at 12:49:47 PM

Here's a Godmodder. Please Kill him before he fucks up everything. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=15527074470A62989200
JTTWlover Flower power from Chinese Heaven Relationship Status: Shipping fictional characters
Flower power
May 12th 2020 at 11:53:55 PM

>Stand closer to the table, make a quick glance to the ad, then rummage in my bag (if I have a bag, if not, look in my pockets).

If there’s a book you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it. Toni Morrison
CustardAndPie Ain't got no tears left to cry from in my mind Relationship Status: I wanna know about these strangers like me
Ain't got no tears left to cry
May 12th 2020 at 11:54:39 PM

> Grab the bowl of complimentary peanuts and go to look at the ad

Hey, how you doin' well I'm doin' just fine I lied I'm dying inside
Afterwards the cake is an alternative fact from Where Nothing Gathers Relationship Status: He makes me feel like I have a heart
the cake is an alternative fact
May 13th 2020 at 12:00:37 AM

>I am the bard playing the music onstage. If there's any opportunity to earn cash, chances are I am already on it.

(also for Alivia's skill you can probably just assign her Performance, both the "skills" she listed can fall under that)

A full course meal on the Holy Night! The last supper, Ultima Cena!
unfortunatezorua dRY from despacito spaghett ugandan chungus Relationship Status: watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
dRY
May 13th 2020 at 12:56:40 AM

medievalParadox, you have the following abilities:

  • True Warrior: +1 bonus damage while using any weapon. Doesn't sound like much, but it adds up.
    • Pragmatist: You've learned to make it on your own as a wanderer, and as a result can be very...resourceful. Any object that is at least light enough for you to carry and could be feasibly used as a melee weapon qualifies as one, in the same way any regular sword or staff would.
  • Art of Misdirection: While engaged in combat with a melee weapon, roll. If you succeed, you can choose to either make two attacks in that turn—one a feint that doesn't deal any damage, and one your real attack—or direct your opponent towards another party member, who'll get a free attack. Both prevent an opponent from rolling to dodge.

You start out with this equipment:

  • Travel Pack: Contains most useful things for adventuring, like a grappling hook, torches, and rations.
  • Iron Shield: Strangely, this doesn't come with a weapon. Your rolls to defend in combat get a bonus upon using this.


And about Alivia yeah, I just wanted confirmation on that first.

Edited by unfortunatezorua on May 14th 2020 at 1:37:13 AM

no
unfortunatezorua dRY from despacito spaghett ugandan chungus Relationship Status: watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
dRY
May 13th 2020 at 12:58:13 AM

TURN 2

>Check the quest ad

You rolled a: None (action does not require a roll)

You edge your way out of the tavern to look at the ad again. A soft flood of light and ambience leaks out of the doors as you pass through them, the former neatly illuminating the post out front where the ad was pinned.

Quest Listing

TARGET: 'The Nightwalker'

Investigation to be Undergone in Horrset. Willing Bounty Hunters Needed

Recruiting for 50 GP Pay

>Pickpocket one of those delicious socialites

You rolled a: Automatic success (ability)

Deftly, breezily, you saunter into the throng of socialites on the staircase with an attitude as if you belonged there. They don't bother to spare you a second glance and continue blathering away.

Conveniently, that left you to slip a well-trained hand into one of their pockets as you pass by and fetch a handful of coins. So conveniently, in fact, that you're able to lift all your target's money without taking the wallet itself, so more than likely he wouldn't even notice until he had to pay up for something.

Of course, at which point you'd already be far, far, away. With luck, discovering said lack of money for the first time in the wrong situation could even land him in a tight spot. You hum to yourself as you stride off.

Once you have enough pause to examine your haul, you notice it's a total of 10 GP.

Rich bastard.

10 gold added to your inventory.

>Order a mug of high-proof alcohol, then eavesdrop on the spirited conversation

You rolled a: 4

You rattle off a request for their strongest stuff. The tavernkeep, for his part, is glad to have a distraction from the parties making dents on his tables in their rowdiness and slides your order over before long. When he turns his back to restock the shelves behind the bar, you lean in towards the barbarian's table to listen in.

"—not 'just a sighting'." the man in question is retorting, punctuating his words with a prodding finger at one of the others. "The disappearances were going on for weeks. And still are, mind you. We're not going to be lenient about it. Only reason word hasn't gotten out yet is because the town's right on the edge of the territories."

You suppose that means they're conducting an investigation. They didn't look much like authorities at first glance.

"So, if you don't have any more interruptions, as I was saying: first we wait here for any more of you new hires to show up, give them the briefing, then we head out tomorrow to make good on those leads. Understood?"

Another voice cuts in, seemingly of a teasing tone. "Really, that much confidence in a little parchment ad? You do remember what happened last time we relied on random adventurers' services..."

"Shut your trap, Lucia. You can talk about splurging on mercs when they quit being so damn extravagant."

>Stand closer to the table, make a quick glance to the ad, then rummage in my bag (if I have a bag, if not, look in my pockets)

You rolled a: None (action does not require a roll)

You do this. The barbarian pauses when you walk up to them, and you feel the eyes of the table fall on you as you sort through your herbal medicine. A confusing beat passes.

"...Can I help you?"

>Grab the bowl of complimentary peanuts and go to look at the ad

You rolled a: 3

The tavernkeep is back to glaring again, and it's at you this time, but he doesn't interfere when you take it outside. For now.

You see more or less the same thing.

>I am the bard playing the music onstage. If there's any opportunity to earn cash, chances are I am already on it.

Every one of the guests bunched at the front of the stage cheers wildly when you're finished; the ending note of your song quickly getting drowned out by the metallic clink of coins clattering onto wood panels, thrown haphazardly from deities-know-where in frenzied sections of the crowd. Just as it should be.

You give a bow and soon enough a tavern worker comes to placate them before anything gets too rowdy, sweeping purposefully over where you'd been standing after you depart the stage. A clear of his throat quiets the crowd down.

"Alright, alright. Performing next: Polar Psychedelics. That kobold band supposed to be out back prepping right now. Are they seriously running late?" He sighs tiredly, running a hand over his face. "If they're a no-show, Mr...uhhh, 'Mago Gosora'...'s supposed to take their spot? Never heard of that bard before."

20 silver added to your inventory.

no
Myskywarm Dipper and Pacifica being cute from Ee-arth Relationship Status: Wishing you were here
Dipper and Pacifica being cute
May 13th 2020 at 1:08:32 AM

"Nothing better to do buuuuuuut..."

> Check how much money you have

Edited by Myskywarm on May 13th 2020 at 4:10:09 PM

Why do we only realize our sins, when everything has come to an end...?
GoldenCityBird Day 143 from the UK
Day 143
May 13th 2020 at 1:12:36 AM

>Look at the quest ad, and see if I recognise the name on it.

Was the sound of distant drumming...
ArmoredFury soppo & woppo from exile
soppo & woppo
May 13th 2020 at 1:14:39 AM

>Ask the barbarian if the quest ad has something to do with the disappearances.

Leaving this world is not as scary as it sounds.
JTTWlover Flower power from Chinese Heaven Relationship Status: Shipping fictional characters
Flower power
May 13th 2020 at 1:26:05 AM

"Uh, oh, bye."

>Scoots several feet away while dying of embarrassment.

>Thinks about why I don't have at least one seed in my bag

If there’s a book you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it. Toni Morrison
Baisteach wEt from Traverse Town Relationship Status: Cigarettes and Valentines
wEt
May 13th 2020 at 1:28:27 AM

"Qué suerte"

>Go upstairs to the roof of the building and perch on myself on top of a rail

Tristeza não tem fim. / Felicidade sim.
Afterwards the cake is an alternative fact from Where Nothing Gathers Relationship Status: He makes me feel like I have a heart
the cake is an alternative fact
May 13th 2020 at 2:00:09 AM

>Gather up my earnings and head to the bar, order the barkeep's strongest ale

A full course meal on the Holy Night! The last supper, Ultima Cena!
AutisticAlivia Back to my Author Avatar now from Everywhere on TV Tropes Relationship Status: Desperate
Back to my Author Avatar now
May 13th 2020 at 4:32:44 AM

Okay um... Investigation and Animal Handling?

Edited by AutisticAlivia on May 13th 2020 at 4:33:44 AM

Insert Backyardigans song here, also, go watch Annoying Orange
Afterwards the cake is an alternative fact from Where Nothing Gathers Relationship Status: He makes me feel like I have a heart
the cake is an alternative fact
May 13th 2020 at 4:47:31 AM

You sure you don't want Performance? If you want him to sing and dance, that would be the skill for that

A full course meal on the Holy Night! The last supper, Ultima Cena!
unfortunatezorua dRY from despacito spaghett ugandan chungus Relationship Status: watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
dRY
May 13th 2020 at 6:01:22 AM

TURN 3

>Check how much money you have

You're broke.

That 50 GP pay to line your pockets with is sounding pretty nice right about now.

>Look at the quest ad, and see if I recognise the name on it

You rolled a: 6

You search your memory. Traversing the deepest, darkest depths of your mind, turning over your soul whole, and scouring fragments of the long-lost history of the earth and breathing life into wisps of time and carefully peeling away all the fibres in the universe and achieving nirvana and I don't know the hell you rolled a straight 6 on the action 'recognising a name' but apparently this is a thing now.

Anyway, after doing all that, you remember some rumours you heard while in the shadier parts of town. They're vague and far-between if you don't know the right place to look, but judging from what travellers and pro trackers have been saying lately, this supposed 'Nightwalker' is a creature spotted terrorising one of the rural villages far southwest of the Capital.

So you conclude that the Nightwalker is a magical robot unicorn sent from the heavens to give the world its blessings.

It all makes sense now, how did you never think of this before?

>Ask the barbarian if the quest ad has something to do with the disappearances

The barbarian looks up startled at the sound of your voice, momentary surprise crossing his draconic features, before it's replaced by a pleased expression instead. "Well, well, well. I don't suppose you're our first new recruit?"

Not waiting for your answer, he and the others turn in their chairs to address you. Straight to the point it was.

"If you've seen the poster outside, I'm sure you'll get what we're talking about — 'The Nightwalker'. Long story short, that's what townspeople are calling a new beast sighting down in the Horrset provinces. Shadowy mass, 10 metres tall, creepy glowin' eyes...all that jazz."

"You might've heard already. But," he continues, "there's never been a monster in all of history with that description. It isn't any old folktale. Right around the time the Nightwalker rumours started surfacing, a bunch of townsfolk went missing — and came back as floating bodies."

"At first the local guard thought they just drowned in the marsh, but then it happened again, at the exact same place it was last seen. Two more times, after that. Far as we're concerned, that's not a coincidence. And word is that the second disappeared yesterday."

"The body hasn't been discovered yet, so our little party—" the two sitting across from him wave at you, "—'s been arranging to get down there and start a hunt before things get worse; only problem is we're already short on hands and the neighbouring town just reported its first sighting. I figured we could try to garner some backup from you Capital adventurers, always looking for quests and all that."

"So, are you in or are you skin?"

>Scoots several feet away while dying of embarrassment
>Thinks about why I don't have at least one seed in my bag

Under so many scrutinising gazes, you can't help but flush up to your ears and skitter aside helplessly, mumbling apologies. Like a frightened mouse. How undignifying. Thankfully, the group's stare lasts only a second longer before they shrug and launch into discussion once again.

The space you've put between them gives you a little room to breathe. You clear your head in the meantime and remember you do have seeds in your bag (and whatever other, less relevant equipment you brought along, but that's up to you).

>Go upstairs to the roof of the building and perch on myself on top of a rail

You rolled a: 3

Pleased with your good luck, you ascend the staircase to its very top and emerge at the entrance of the open roof. The night air weighs on your shoulders almost immediately, settling in a chill even through layers of clothes and armour. It seems like you're alone.

As one might expect, the view from up here is pretty impressive—various lights and sights of the city dance carelessly in the stretch of buildings below, making for quite the serving of eye candy as their reflections bounce off glinting metal and coloured glass windows.

You walk out towards the end of the roof deck and attempt to take a seat on the trim wooden railing, the one thing barring you from an ominous fall below...then mess up sticking the landing and go off balance almost instantly, panicked limbs thrashing wildly in empty air through sheer force of instict.

Fortunately, you eventually regain your place on the railing, but not before all that flailing about attracts attention.

For some reason you didn't notice it before, but what seems to be another tavern guest is rapidly heading in your direction.

"Nooooooooo don't jump it's not worth it," he slurs, shuffling closer towards you. Then he takes out what looks like a holographic recording device. "Okaaayyy, jump now!"

With that comment and a lazy thumbs-up, he proceeds to fall flat on his face. While he lies motionless on the floor, you stare blankly for a few seconds until realising he was completely wasted.

Well, that could've turned out worse. You're in the middle of wondering what to do with him, sitting on the railing with your back facing the edge of the roof, when a sudden sensation makes you stop in your tracks.

There's something breathing down your neck.

>Gather up my earnings and head to the bar, order the barkeep's strongest ale

The tavernkeep nods sharply, complimenting you on your performance as he sets the mug on the countertop.

You think he mutters something about there being 'an awful lot of hard drinkers tonight', but you're not sure, since from where you're sitting you can clearly hear the barbarian's discussion. Seems that an orc cleric came to to join them.

no
Afterwards the cake is an alternative fact from Where Nothing Gathers Relationship Status: He makes me feel like I have a heart
the cake is an alternative fact
May 13th 2020 at 6:05:57 AM

>Continue observing from afar. Try to get a read on the Barbarian and the Cleric, as well as any other would-be adventurers stumbling in to the bar.

A full course meal on the Holy Night! The last supper, Ultima Cena!
Myskywarm Dipper and Pacifica being cute from Ee-arth Relationship Status: Wishing you were here
GoldenCityBird Day 143 from the UK
Day 143
May 13th 2020 at 6:13:51 AM

>Approach the barbarian's table and ask him about the quest ad, adding my (totally accurate) conclusion.

Edited by GoldenCityBird on May 13th 2020 at 2:31:27 PM

Was the sound of distant drumming...
ArmoredFury soppo & woppo from exile
soppo & woppo
May 13th 2020 at 6:34:40 AM

> Accept the quest and introduce myself

"I am known as Gromzarr the Scraggly, humble servant of Denas, Obscure God of the Forge. Please call me Grom."

> Also crosscheck the description (both the Barbarian's and the Mummy's) with my own knowledge of Historical monsters

Leaving this world is not as scary as it sounds.
WillyFourEyes Fake American from I'm not telling! Relationship Status: Mu
May 13th 2020 at 6:48:13 AM

I wanna try this!

Name: Roddy

Race: Human

Class and Occupation: Cleric/Scribe

Skills: Insight and Performance

Baisteach wEt from Traverse Town Relationship Status: Cigarettes and Valentines
wEt
May 13th 2020 at 6:53:48 AM

>Attempt to pet the head whatever is breathing on me

Tristeza não tem fim. / Felicidade sim.
JTTWlover Flower power from Chinese Heaven Relationship Status: Shipping fictional characters
Flower power
May 13th 2020 at 7:07:11 AM

>Try to sell a small flower to someone in the inn

If there’s a book you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it. Toni Morrison
Afterwards the cake is an alternative fact from Where Nothing Gathers Relationship Status: He makes me feel like I have a heart
the cake is an alternative fact
May 13th 2020 at 7:26:36 AM

>Purchase a small flower for 1 silver coin.

A full course meal on the Holy Night! The last supper, Ultima Cena!

Total posts: 146
Top

How well does it match the trope?

Example of:

/

Media sources:

/

Report